Searching \ for '[OT] ICD2 Clone' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/microchip/devprogs.htm?key=icd
Search entire site for: 'ICD2 Clone'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OT] ICD2 Clone'
2005\08\15@185652 by Sean Schouten

face picon face
May I ask how many people actually use an ICD2 Clone, and did they
make it their selves or buy one?

May I also ask if it's just as good as the real thing?

Thanks,

Sean.

2005\08\16@004917 by Randy Glenn

picon face
I bought a PCB from mcu.cz (along with several friends) around this
time last year, and they work great - a little slow, but I suspect
that's due to their RS232-only nature.

It came in especially handy after I moved back from school in May. To
paraphrase / destroy one of my all-time favourite Internet quotes
(http://bash.org/?5273)... I lost my K150 - Literally, lost it. I
remember packing it, and have seen it since I moved in, but I just
can't figure out where in my room it is.

On 8/15/05, Sean Schouten <spam_OUTdev.seantechTakeThisOuTspamgmail.com> wrote:
> May I ask how many people actually use an ICD2 Clone, and did they
> make it their selves or buy one?
>
> May I also ask if it's just as good as the real thing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sean.
>
> -

2005\08\16@052837 by Electron

flavicon
face
At 00.49 2005.08.16 -0400, you wrote:
>I bought a PCB from mcu.cz (along with several friends) around this
>time last year, and they work great - a little slow, but I suspect
>that's due to their RS232-only nature.
>
>It came in especially handy after I moved back from school in May. To
>paraphrase / destroy one of my all-time favourite Internet quotes
>(http://bash.org/?5273)... I lost my K150 - Literally, lost it. I
>remember packing it, and have seen it since I moved in, but I just
>can't figure out where in my room it is.

Try behind the bed.. I once found my ex girlfriend there, among many
other things.

2005\08\16@100005 by Sean Schouten

face picon face
On 8/16/05, Randy Glenn <.....randy.glennKILLspamspam@spam@gmail.com> wrote:
> I bought a PCB from mcu.cz (along with several friends) around this
> time last year, and they work great - a little slow, but I suspect
> that's due to their RS232-only nature.


They have a scematic of the real thing there, but I think that they
created a clone with parts that are easy'er to get. I am looking into
building a fully-compatible usb version, whenever I have time and feel
like going for it. It would invlove me researching for some
alternative parts that do the same thing and can be interfaced in
exactly the same way. One thing is for sure, it's got to be fast, be
able to make use of the ICD2 firmware (just like the mcu.cz clone). In
fact the only real difference would be that my version would, like
microchips version, have a USB - Parallel converter instead of a USB -
Serial converter.

I am wondering how fast the ICD2 actually is, I don't think that it's
much faster than my usb PICkit 1, because in my eyes the PIC would
always be the biggest (or rather smallest) bottleneck.

Sean.

2005\08\16@101557 by Sean Schouten

face picon face
My sources of information:


Here: http://www.mcu.cz/modules/news/article.php?storyid=430 (bottom
scematic is what I will work off of (to attempt) to create a true ICD2
usb clone, or so I hope).

Here: http://www.mcu.cz/modules/news/article.php?storyid=449

# I got the above links of off
http://www.edaboard.com/ftopic70755-0-asc-0.html, which I managed to
google. There is some information here and there in the forum as
well... #

And Here: http://stolz.de.be/ (check conversations in the guestbook as well!).


For those interested....

2005\08\16@102130 by Wouter van Ooijen

face picon face
> I am wondering how fast the ICD2 actually is, I don't think that it's
> much faster than my usb PICkit 1, because in my eyes the PIC would
> always be the biggest (or rather smallest) bottleneck.

The pickit 1 uses the USB MMI interface (that's why ut does not need an
USB driver). IIRC that one is inherently slow. But that might not show
with the slower-programming PICs.

Wouter van Ooijen

-- -------------------------------------------
Van Ooijen Technische Informatica: http://www.voti.nl
consultancy, development, PICmicro products
docent Hogeschool van Utrecht: http://www.voti.nl/hvu


2005\08\16@112322 by Sean Schouten

face picon face
Okay, nice to know that it can only get faster than it allready is! :-)

I was wondering about something else... If I would make the ICD2
clone, I guess I would have to either make / find a *special* board
that I can connect to the ICD2 where I can actually stick a PIC on to
be programmed? How does that exactly work? All the pictures that I
have seen of the ICD2 in action include another board that has been
connected to it with a cable that has an RJ-11 on either end. I do not
understand how on earth it can debug a dsPIC with only 4-leads
connected to it? Does that imply that I would be in need of some more
fancy hardware on the 2nd board?


Sean.

2005\08\16@113303 by Sean Schouten

face picon face
Ah, correction:   5 leads, not 4.  And in the ICD2 User Guide, they
seem to connect the ICD to the programming pins of a pic, so I am
guessing that they just read out the memory, step by step?

2005\08\16@120657 by Wouter van Ooijen

face picon face
> I was wondering about something else... If I would make the ICD2
> clone, I guess I would have to either make / find a *special* board
> that I can connect to the ICD2 where I can actually stick a PIC on to
> be programmed?

The ICD2-target interface is just the programming interface of the chip:
ground, mclr, pgc, pgd. The pinout is mentioned in various uChip
documentation. Note that the cable between the programmer and the target
is inverted (connectors on opposite sides, oen up and one down).

Most of my Dwarf Boards have an microchip-compatible programming
connector. I guess a lot of other third-party boards have one too. Note
that such a connector is not very robuust.

> How does that exactly work?

serially. read the programming and/or debugging specs.

> Does that imply that I would be in need of some more
> fancy hardware on the 2nd board?

yes, a target PIC :)

Wouter van Ooijen

-- -------------------------------------------
Van Ooijen Technische Informatica: http://www.voti.nl
consultancy, development, PICmicro products
docent Hogeschool van Utrecht: http://www.voti.nl/hvu


More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2005 , 2006 only
- Today
- New search...