Searching \ for '[OT] How far is 1000 words?' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=how+far+1000+words
Search entire site for: 'How far is 1000 words?'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OT] How far is 1000 words?'
2009\10\13@184243 by solarwind

picon face
How far does the "average" person's pen tip travel after writing words?

I want to know because I want to know how long a pen that claims it
can write for 2km will last me.

-- [ solarwind ] -- http://solar-blogg.blogspot.com/

2009\10\13@185842 by Brent Brown

picon face
On 13 Oct 2009 at 18:42, solarwind wrote:
> How far does the "average" person's pen tip travel after writing words?
>
> I want to know because I want to know how long a pen that claims it
> can write for 2km will last me.

1000 words in uppercase is maybe twice the distance as lowercase. Or the
equivalent of 1 x picture.

--
Brent Brown, Electronic Design Solutions
16 English Street, St Andrews,
Hamilton 3200, New Zealand
Ph: +64 7 849 0069
Fax: +64 7 849 0071
Cell: +64 27 433 4069
eMail:  spam_OUTbrent.brownTakeThisOuTspamclear.net.nz


2009\10\13@190136 by Bob Blick

face
flavicon
face

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:42:21 -0400, "solarwind"
<.....x.solarwind.xKILLspamspam@spam@gmail.com> said:
> How far does the "average" person's pen tip travel after writing words?
>
> I want to know because I want to know how long a pen that claims it
> can write for 2km will last me.


1 word = 0.01 meter

20000 words = 2 kilometers

Doesn't sound like much.

Cheers,

Bob

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - mmm... Fastmail...

2009\10\14@013628 by Vitaliy

face
flavicon
face
Bob Blick wrote:
>> How far does the "average" person's pen tip travel after writing words?
>>
>> I want to know because I want to know how long a pen that claims it
>> can write for 2km will last me.
>
>
> 1 word = 0.01 meter
>
> 20000 words = 2 kilometers
>
> Doesn't sound like much.

I think you're one digit off.

20,000 words * 0.01 m/word = 200 m.

Also, 1 cm/word sounds awfully short. I would guess it's more like 4
cm/word.

Vitaliy

2009\10\14@021419 by Tamas Rudnai

face picon face
On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 6:35 AM, Vitaliy <piclistspamKILLspammaksimov.org> wrote:

> Also, 1 cm/word sounds awfully short. I would guess it's more like 4
> cm/word.
>

...depending on how big letters you are using :-)

Tamas

--
/* http://www.mcuhobby.com */ int main() { char *a,*s,*q; printf(s="/*
http://www.mcuhobby.com */ int main() { char *a,*s,*q; printf(s=%s%s%s,
q=%s%s%s%s,s,q,q,a=%s%s%s%s,q,q,q,a,a,q); }",
q="\"",s,q,q,a="\\",q,q,q,a,a,q); }

2009\10\14@033544 by Marcel Birthelmer

picon face
On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Tamas Rudnai <.....tamas.rudnaiKILLspamspam.....gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 6:35 AM, Vitaliy <EraseMEpiclistspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTmaksimov.org> wrote:
>
>> Also, 1 cm/word sounds awfully short. I would guess it's more like 4
>> cm/word.
>>
>
> ...depending on how big letters you are using :-)
>
> Tamas
>
> --
> /* http://www.mcuhobby.com */ int main() { char *a,*s,*q; printf(s="/*
> http://www.mcuhobby.com */ int main() { char *a,*s,*q; printf(s=%s%s%s,
> q=%s%s%s%s,s,q,q,a=%s%s%s%s,q,q,q,a,a,q); }",
> q="\"",s,q,q,a="\\",q,q,q,a,a,q); }
> -

2009\10\14@040506 by Quintin Beukes

flavicon
face
I think when they say it can write 2km, they probably mean a straight
line? I figure so, because they would know how much ink gets released
per ball "roll", probably based on it's density or something, and thus
the ballsize would determine how many rolls it will take to clear the
volume of the ink. And with that they can calculate how many meters it
would take to empty the pen.

So I would say about 8mm/letter avg. and 5letters/word avg. so it's
about 4cm/word. With 100000cm per km that's 200000cm per 2km, thus
50000 words, give or take a few? I write an avg of 15 words per line,
with 31 lines/page that's 465 words per page, so the pen would
probably last me 107 pages, or 3.5x30page writing pads. Sounds quite
good.

Further I think it's just an advertising scam, since 2km sounds a lot.
The average pen doesn't last that long if you write a lot.

Quintin Beukes



On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Marcel Birthelmer
<marcelb.listsspamspam_OUTgmail.com> wrote:
{Quote hidden}

>> --

2009\10\14@105239 by M. Adam Davis

face picon face
On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 4:04 AM, Quintin Beukes <RemoveMEquintinTakeThisOuTspamlast.za.net> wrote:
> So I would say about 8mm/letter avg. and 5letters/word avg. so it's
> about 4cm/word. With 100000cm per km that's 200000cm per 2km, thus
> 50000 words, give or take a few?

Incidently, that's the number of words one writes for National Novel
Writing Month, which is November.

-Adam

2009\10\14@114351 by Bob Blick

face
flavicon
face

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 22:35:19 -0700, "Vitaliy" <spamBeGonepiclistspamBeGonespammaksimov.org>
said:
> Bob Blick wrote:
> > 1 word = 0.01 meter

> Also, 1 cm/word sounds awfully short.

Yes, I meant 0.1 meter. Average writing is probably somewhere in
between.

Cheers,

Bob

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Email service worth paying for. Try it for free

2009\10\14@174629 by Don McKenzie

flavicon
face


Brent Brown wrote:
>
> 1000 words in uppercase is maybe twice the distance as lowercase. Or the
> equivalent of 1 x picture.
>

Correct, therefore:
one Word is only worth a milli-picture.
:-)

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.dontronics.com/email
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

--
View this message in context: www.nabble.com/How-far-is-1000-words--tp25882376p25899649.html
Sent from the PIC - [OT] mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

2009\10\14@175642 by Marcel Birthelmer

picon face
> Correct, therefore:
> one Word is only worth a milli-picture.
> :-)
>

Which reminds me of 1 milli-Helen, the amount of beauty necessary to
launch a single ship. More at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unusual_units_of_measurement .

2009\10\14@175904 by Marcel Birthelmer

picon face
Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_humorous_units_of_measurement

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 11:56 PM, Marcel Birthelmer
<TakeThisOuTmarcelb.listsEraseMEspamspam_OUTgmail.com> wrote:
>> Correct, therefore:
>> one Word is only worth a milli-picture.
>> :-)
>>
>
> Which reminds me of 1 milli-Helen, the amount of beauty necessary to
> launch a single ship. More at
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unusual_units_of_measurement .
>

2009\10\14@180510 by Jinx

face picon face
> Which reminds me of 1 milli-Helen

Should include Demetri Martin's "millivanillisecond", the length of
time that lip-synching duo were popular

2009\10\15@025136 by Clint Sharp

picon face
In message <RemoveME4545d0e0910141459r5d2b7d57n60060614d6a07cfespamTakeThisOuTmail.gmail.com>,
Marcel Birthelmer <marcelb.listsEraseMEspam.....gmail.com> writes
>Also: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_humorous_units_of_measurement
I'll have to dig out my Wiki login and add the Ohnosecond, defined as
the amount of time between clicking yes on a delete prompt and the
realisation that you picked the wrong RAID set.
{Quote hidden}

--
Clint Sharp

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2009 , 2010 only
- Today
- New search...