Searching \ for '[OT] Dayton 2006 or Bust!' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=dayton+2006+bust
Search entire site for: 'Dayton 2006 or Bust!'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OT] Dayton 2006 or Bust!'
2006\05\16@101533 by Josh Koffman

face picon face
Hi all. For those who are unaware, the annual Dayton Hamvention is
this weekend. For more info check out http://www.hamvention.org.

Last year I met up with two PIClisters at the event (Carey and John)
and we had a nice chat. I think I might have gotten a voicemail from
Dave Van Horn, but I still haven't ever confirmed that.

In any case, is there anyone going this year? I'd love to meet up
again and compare fleamarket finds. Last year I bought a joystick from
an F4 fighter (never used) for $1. I think it's in my desk drawer at
work...

Josh
--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools.
       -Douglas Adams

2006\05\16@103647 by David VanHorn

picon face
>
>
> In any case, is there anyone going this year? I'd love to meet up
> again and compare fleamarket finds. Last year I bought a joystick from
> an F4 fighter (never used) for $1. I think it's in my desk drawer at
> work...


Planning on it, but not sure what days this year.  Have a wedding and a
birthday to do as well.

2006\05\16@104036 by Philip Pemberton

face picon face
In message <spam_OUT3e0a4bc40605160715x6a173c71k108bc8bb8a80fcedTakeThisOuTspammail.gmail.com>>          "Josh Koffman" <.....joshybearKILLspamspam@spam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Last year I bought a joystick from
> an F4 fighter (never used) for $1. I think it's in my desk drawer at
> work...

Now that would be fun to hook up to a PIC.. YSFlight with real (or at least
close imitations of) F4 controls :)

--
Phil.                         | Kitsune: Acorn RiscPC SA202 64M+6G VF+UniPod
philpemspamKILLspamdsl.pipex.com         | Cheetah: Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxeV2 1G+180G
http://www.philpem.me.uk/     | Tiger: Toshiba SatPro4600 Celeron700 256M+40G

2006\05\16@110218 by Jack Smith

picon face
Dayton starts Friday, the 19th.

I won't be there, but one of my PIC projects will. Check Larry N8LP's
table (Table No. 517) for his PIC-based wattmeters. He will also show my
two prototype panadapters (they use 18F4620 devices).

73 de Jack K8ZOA

2006\05\16@112229 by Josh Koffman
face picon face
On 5/16/06, Philip Pemberton <.....philpemKILLspamspam.....dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>"Josh Koffman" <EraseMEjoshybearspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTgmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Last year I bought a joystick from
> > an F4 fighter (never used) for $1. I think it's in my desk drawer at
> > work...
>
> Now that would be fun to hook up to a PIC.. YSFlight with real (or at least
> close imitations of) F4 controls :)

It's interesting how different the buttons feel from a computer
joystick. I guess they're much stiffer because firing off ammunition
is more damaging in the real world, and they want you to be sure you
really mean it :)

Josh
--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools.
       -Douglas Adams

2006\05\16@112311 by Josh Koffman

face picon face
On 5/16/06, David VanHorn <dvanhornspamspam_OUTmicrobrix.com> wrote:
> Planning on it, but not sure what days this year.  Have a wedding and a
> birthday to do as well.

Do you still have my phone number Dave?

Josh
--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools.
       -Douglas Adams

2006\05\16@112404 by Josh Koffman

face picon face
On 5/16/06, Jack Smith <@spam@Jack.SmithKILLspamspamcox.net> wrote:
> I won't be there, but one of my PIC projects will. Check Larry N8LP's
> table (Table No. 517) for his PIC-based wattmeters. He will also show my
> two prototype panadapters (they use 18F4620 devices).

Is that indoors or outdoors? I can't remember how the numbering scheme goes.

Just out of curiousity, what's a panadapter?

Josh
--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools.
       -Douglas Adams

2006\05\16@113925 by David VanHorn

picon face
>
>
> Do you still have my phone number Dave?


Not that I'd know where it is.  765 215 8521 cell here, 2m/440 simplex at
dayton, though not sure freq.

2006\05\16@115753 by Jack Smith

picon face


Josh Koffman wrote:
> On 5/16/06, Jack Smith <KILLspamJack.SmithKILLspamspamcox.net> wrote:
>  
>> I won't be there, but one of my PIC projects will. Check Larry N8LP's
>> table (Table No. 517) for his PIC-based wattmeters. He will also show my
>> two prototype panadapters (they use 18F4620 devices).
>>    
>
> Is that indoors or outdoors? I can't remember how the numbering scheme goes.
>
> Just out of curiousity, what's a panadapter?
>
> Josh
>  
A panadapter is a specialized spectrum analyzer connected to a
receiver's IF output port to provide a swept frequency versus amplitude
display of signals nearby (+/- 100 KHz or so) of the frequency to which
the receiver is tuned.

Originally called a panoramic adaptor (note the "or" spelling), the name
seems to have morphed into panadapter (with the "er" ending) sometime ago.

You can see some photos of the ones I will be showing at Dayton at
http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com. You can see Larry's PIC wattmeters
at http://www.telepostinc.com.

The table number (517) is indoors.


Jack

2006\05\16@120927 by Josh Koffman

face picon face
On 5/16/06, David VanHorn <RemoveMEdvanhornTakeThisOuTspammicrobrix.com> wrote:
> Not that I'd know where it is.  765 215 8521 cell here, 2m/440 simplex at
> dayton, though not sure freq.

My cell is 416-875-5425. Let me know when you'll be there and perhaps
we can meet up at Carey's booth (it's a handy meeting spot as it's
usually right by Heil mics and hard to miss). I likely won't be on the
VHF/UHF ham bands, but I will be somewhere up in the 800MHz band
onsite.

There is also the possibility of going for dinner at some point...I'll
be there with a buddy but we have no evening plans.

Josh
--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools.
       -Douglas Adams

2006\05\16@123605 by Carey Fisher

face picon face
We'll be there - Booths 101 & 102 in Audio Alley next to Bob
Heil/Heilsound.  This year I *AM* gonna break away and hit the boneyard
and buy some junque.  I *AM* I tell you!!!!.

We're testing and packing product as I type so I better get back to it!!!

73 & CUL

Carey Fisher, K8VZ
New Communications Solutions, LLC
whttp://www.ncsradio.com
spamBeGonecareyfisherspamBeGonespamncsradio.com


Josh Koffman wrote:
{Quote hidden}

--

*Carey Fisher, Chief Technical Officer
New Communications Solutions, LLC
*TakeThisOuTcareyfisherEraseMEspamspam_OUTncsradio.com <RemoveMEcareyfisherspamTakeThisOuTncsradio.com>
Toll Free Phone:888-883-5788
Local Phone:770-814-0683
FAX: 888-883-5788
http://www.ncsradio.com <http://www.ncsradio.com/>

2006\05\16@123937 by David VanHorn

picon face
>
>
> My cell is 416-875-5425. Let me know when you'll be there and perhaps
> we can meet up at Carey's booth (it's a handy meeting spot as it's
> usually right by Heil mics and hard to miss). I likely won't be on the
> VHF/UHF ham bands, but I will be somewhere up in the 800MHz band
> onsite.


Finding a quiet frequency there, is pretty interesting. :)  Occasionally you
see someone with a spectrum analyzer powered up. That's always good for a
laugh.

There is also the possibility of going for dinner at some point...I'll
> be there with a buddy but we have no evening plans.


I'll be there with dad and his scooter, not sure if he can do a full day
there anymore. We'll just have to see.

2006\05\16@124025 by Nate Duehr

face
flavicon
face
Josh Koffman wrote:
> Hi all. For those who are unaware, the annual Dayton Hamvention is
> this weekend. For more info check out http://www.hamvention.org.
>
> Last year I met up with two PIClisters at the event (Carey and John)
> and we had a nice chat. I think I might have gotten a voicemail from
> Dave Van Horn, but I still haven't ever confirmed that.
>
> In any case, is there anyone going this year? I'd love to meet up
> again and compare fleamarket finds. Last year I bought a joystick from
> an F4 fighter (never used) for $1. I think it's in my desk drawer at
> work...
>
> Josh

I'll be there ...

Dave VE7LTD gave me a management title.  Yikes.

LOL!

Be hangin' around Thursday night, through Saturday.  Gotta fly out of
Indy on Sunday.

----------

As in previous years, IRLP will be represented at the Dayton
Hamvention at booth 324 in the Silver Arena (now also known as
Wampler Arena).

At least come by and meet the IRLP celebs:

David Cameron, VE7LTD - IRLP System Designer
Paul Cassel, VE3SY - Webmaster and Promoter
Nate Duehr, WY0X - Installs support manager
Dave Gingrich, K9DC - Crossroads Reflector/Server Operator
Mark Haworth, KM8H/G4EID - International Promoter/Install Supporter

Don't wait for the rain to come out to come and say hello!

Dave Cameron - VE7LTD

----------

Of course, I see that Steve Jobs is conspiring to ruin my Dayton
budget... well, assuming I had much of one...

The new MacBooks are out.

http://www.apple.com/macbook/macbook.html

Nate WY0X

2006\05\16@175853 by Peter Todd

picon face
On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 11:22:22AM -0400, Josh Koffman wrote:
> > Now that would be fun to hook up to a PIC.. YSFlight with real (or at least
> > close imitations of) F4 controls :)
>
> It's interesting how different the buttons feel from a computer
> joystick. I guess they're much stiffer because firing off ammunition
> is more damaging in the real world, and they want you to be sure you
> really mean it :)

Probably also has something to do with the fact that it's much easier to
accidentally press a button when you are being subject to 4G's!

--
peteEraseMEspam.....petertodd.ca http://www.petertodd.ca

2006\05\16@230044 by Carey Fisher - NCS

face picon face
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEBODY find a place with decent food fro Fri & Sat
evening!  Dayton (the whole $%# town) seems to have the worst food in the
known universe!!!!.

Suggestions?

Carey

{Original Message removed}

2006\05\17@104547 by Carey Fisher - NCS

face picon face

> PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEBODY find a place with decent food fro Fri & Sat
> evening!  Dayton (the whole $%# town) seems to have the worst food in the
> known universe!!!!.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Carey

I just took a good long look at the Hamvention Website "What to do in
Dayton" section,
http://www.hamvention.org/media/WhileinDayton.htm

and discovered - THEY DON'T EAT FOOD IN DAYTON!!!!

Not a single reference to a restaurant!!!

So, I guess, we'll have to hit every Cracker Barrel on I-75 between Atlanta
and Dayton.  May take an extra day and an extra 25lbs!!!

73& CUL!!!

K8VZ

2006\05\17@110721 by David VanHorn

picon face
>
> and discovered - THEY DON'T EAT FOOD IN DAYTON!!!!
> Not a single reference to a restaurant!!!


It's the home town of Wendy's.

So, I guess, we'll have to hit every Cracker Barrel on I-75 between Atlanta
> and Dayton.  May take an extra day and an extra 25lbs!!!


Ya know, I almost never eat in dayton either...
Hmm.

2006\05\17@112154 by Hazelwood Lyle

flavicon
face

> > PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEBODY find a place with decent food
> fro Fri & Sat
> > evening!  Dayton (the whole $%# town) seems to have the
> worst food in the
> > known universe!!!!.
> >
> > Suggestions?
>

OK, I lived in W. Carrollton for three years (Just South of Dayton
on the interstate). So it seems I SHOULD have something to offer.
You're right, there's not a lot of "fine dining" that I know of in
the immediate area.
I am NOT a food critic, and it's been six years since I lived there,
but there was a favorite lunch spot that I can suggest.. Informal
but the food was pretty good.

If you are willing to give it a try..
Bullwinkles Top Hat Bistro
19 N. Main St.
Miamisburg, OH

Remember, asking my opinion on fine dining may not be a good idea..
I'm not exactly a culinary expert,
But any suggestion is better than none at all.

Have Fun,
Lyle

2006\05\17@121244 by Aaron

picon face

Carey Fisher - NCS wrote:

>PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEBODY find a place with decent food fro Fri & Sat
>evening!  Dayton (the whole $%# town) seems to have the worst food in the
>known universe!!!!.
>
>Suggestions?
>
>Carey
>  
>

Jay's Seafood in the downtown historic Oregon District.  (seafood is
supposedly flown in fresh)

The Pine Club (pricey, no credit cards, but will take personal checks)

Aaron

2006\05\17@122008 by Alan B. Pearce

face picon face
> > PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEBODY find a place with decent food
> fro Fri & Sat
> > evening!  Dayton (the whole $%# town) seems to have the
> worst food in the
> > known universe!!!!.
> >
> > Suggestions?
>
>
>OK, I lived in W. Carrollton for three years (Just South of Dayton
>on the interstate). So it seems I SHOULD have something to offer.
>You're right, there's not a lot of "fine dining" that I know of in
>the immediate area.

Wasn't it Dayton OH that John Denver wrote a song about where "they roll up
the sidewalks at 10" ??

2006\05\17@143436 by Josh Koffman

face picon face
On 5/17/06, David VanHorn <EraseMEdvanhornspammicrobrix.com> wrote:
> It's the home town of Wendy's.

Actually Columbus, OH is. I've eaten at the first Wendy's...not sure
if it's still there. By the time I moved out of Columbus they had
added a Tim Horton's in there as the Wendy's wasn't doing so well.

For some reason the Wendy's commercials used to claim Dublin, OH was
the home of Wendy's...I guess that's where the corporate HQ is.

Josh
--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools.
       -Douglas Adams

2006\05\17@143607 by Josh Koffman

face picon face
Alright, why don't we plan to meet up at Carey's booth at about 1PM on
Friday. Dave, give me a call when you're there and we can meet up.

I'm currently fighting work, I might need to fly out early as I need
to be in Holland on Monday morning. Arg.

Josh
--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools.
       -Douglas Adams

2006\05\17@143647 by Josh Koffman

face picon face
Uh, and for those looking to reach me, my cell is always on - 416-875-5425.

Enjoy :)

-j
--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools.
       -Douglas Adams

2006\05\17@145450 by David VanHorn

picon face
>
> I'm currently fighting work, I might need to fly out early as I need
> to be in Holland on Monday morning. Arg.


The only way that could be "arg" is if it's work :)

2006\05\17@160717 by Spehro Pefhany

picon face
At 11:00 PM 5/16/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEBODY find a place with decent food fro Fri & Sat
>evening!  Dayton (the whole $%# town) seems to have the worst food in the
>known universe!!!!.
>
>Suggestions?
>Carey

Dunno about Dayton, OH, but I suggest avoiding the Cantonese food in
Canton, OH. It's really terrible.

Best regards,

Spehro Pefhany --"it's the network..."            "The Journey is the reward"
RemoveMEspeffEraseMEspamEraseMEinterlog.com             Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
Embedded software/hardware/analog  Info for designers:  http://www.speff.com
->>Test equipment, parts OLED displys http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZspeff


2006\05\17@232154 by Dave Tweed

face
flavicon
face
Alan B. Pearce <RemoveMEA.B.Pearcespam_OUTspamKILLspamrl.ac.uk> wrote:
> > > PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEBODY find a place with decent food fro
> > > Fri & Sat evening!  Dayton (the whole $%# town) seems to have
> > > the worst food in the known universe!!!!.
> > >
> > > Suggestions?
> >
> > OK, I lived in W. Carrollton for three years (Just South of Dayton
> > on the interstate). So it seems I SHOULD have something to offer.
> > You're right, there's not a lot of "fine dining" that I know of in
> > the immediate area.
>
> Wasn't it Dayton OH that John Denver wrote a song about where "they
> roll up the sidewalks at 10" ??

Naw, that was Toledo.

       "Saturday night in Toledo, Ohio
           is like being nowhere at all. ... "

-- Dave Tweed

2006\05\18@121223 by James Newton, Host

face picon face
> Last year I met up with two PIClisters at the event (Carey
> and John) and we had a nice chat. I think I might have gotten
> a voicemail from Dave Van Horn, but I still haven't ever
> confirmed that.


I would love any pictures of PICListers you might take. With their
permission of course.

---
James Newton: PICList webmaster/Admin
RemoveMEjamesnewtonTakeThisOuTspamspampiclist.com  1-619-652-0593 phone
http://www.piclist.com/member/JMN-EFP-786
PIC/PICList FAQ: http://www.piclist.com


2006\05\18@163758 by M. Adam Davis

face picon face
On 5/18/06, James Newton, Host <EraseMEjamesnewtonspamspamspamBeGonepiclist.com> wrote:
> I would love any pictures of PICListers you might take. With their
> permission of course.

If they don't want their picture taken feel free to make a drawing we
can post to the piclist website anyway.

-Adam

2006\05\18@223224 by Josh Koffman

face picon face
On 5/18/06, M. Adam Davis <RemoveMEstienmanKILLspamspamgmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/18/06, James Newton, Host <jamesnewtonSTOPspamspamspam_OUTpiclist.com> wrote:
> > I would love any pictures of PICListers you might take. With their
> > permission of course.
>
> If they don't want their picture taken feel free to make a drawing we
> can post to the piclist website anyway.

Well, I'll try and get a pic of Carey and I (since he's the only
confirmation I have so far - and that's cuz he's exhibiting). I'm
going to try and get a hold of Nate and Dave as well though so we'll
see if we can get a group photo happening!

Josh
--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools.
       -Douglas Adams

2006\05\18@232344 by Nathan Duehr

face
flavicon
face
Josh Koffman wrote:
> Well, I'll try and get a pic of Carey and I (since he's the only
> confirmation I have so far - and that's cuz he's exhibiting). I'm
> going to try and get a hold of Nate and Dave as well though so we'll
> see if we can get a group photo happening!
>  
Josh,

If you happen to get this:  The IRLP booth moved across the aisle from
the original spot to 335 in the Silver Arena... the neighbor across the
aisle built a huge wall that was blocking the booth in the original
slated location.

Nate WY0X

2006\05\19@065215 by Josh Koffman

face picon face
On 5/18/06, Nathan Duehr <spamBeGonenateSTOPspamspamEraseMEnatetech.com> wrote:
> If you happen to get this:  The IRLP booth moved across the aisle from
> the original spot to 335 in the Silver Arena... the neighbor across the
> aisle built a huge wall that was blocking the booth in the original
> slated location.

Thanks Nate. My plan is to hit up Carey's booth at about 1pm. If you
can pop over, that would be cool, otherwise I'll head to the IRLP
booth after his.

Hope you get this :)

Josh
--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools.
       -Douglas Adams

2006\05\20@100334 by David VanHorn

picon face
--
Feel the power of the dark side!  Atmel AVR

I didn't make it to the 1P thing, we faded early..

I was glad to meet up with Josh, and we even did a little project together,
dad's scooter batteries died, so we did a field upgrade!

Unfortunately, I won't be back over there this time, I have a wedding and my
wife's birthday to do.

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2006 , 2007 only
- Today
- New search...