Searching \ for '[OT] DX Solder Paste' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=solder+paste
Search entire site for: 'DX Solder Paste'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OT] DX Solder Paste'
2011\09\29@153550 by V G

picon face
www.dealextreme.com/p/lodestar-soldering-paste-50g-4711

I bought this and it works well. Cheap, so you can't go wrong.

It's been sitting in the fridge for a few months. I'll test it again when I
replace the PIC on my board with the new '795

2011\09\30@131147 by Peter Loron

flavicon
face
That does work pretty well, although I suspect it's too thick to be applied via a stencil. I've only used it via hand application so far.

-pete

On Sep 29, 2011, at 12:35 PM, V G wrote:

> www.dealextreme.com/p/lodestar-soldering-paste-50g-4711
>
> I bought this and it works well. Cheap, so you can't go wrong.
>
> It's been sitting in the fridge for a few months. I'll test it again when I
> replace the PIC on my board with the new '795.
> -

2011\09\30@143205 by Dwayne Reid

flavicon
face
At 01:35 PM 9/29/2011, V G wrote:
>http://www.dealextreme.com/p/lodestar-soldering-paste-50g-4711
>
>I bought this and it works well. Cheap, so you can't go wrong.

Any idea of its formulation (lead-free or 63/37) and flux (no-clean, RMA, Water Soluble)?

Thanks!

dwayne

-- Dwayne Reid   <spam_OUTdwaynerTakeThisOuTspamplanet.eon.net>
Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd    Edmonton, AB, CANADA
(780) 489-3199 voice          (780) 487-6397 fax
http://www.trinity-electronics.com
Custom Electronics Design and Manufacturing

2011\09\30@160217 by Marc Nicholas

picon face
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Dwayne Reid <.....dwaynerKILLspamspam@spam@planet.eon.net> wrote:
> At 01:35 PM 9/29/2011, V G wrote:
>>www.dealextreme.com/p/lodestar-soldering-paste-50g-4711
>>
>>I bought this and it works well. Cheap, so you can't go wrong.
>
> Any idea of its formulation (lead-free or 63/37) and flux (no-clean,
> RMA, Water Soluble)?

Apparently this one:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mechanics-soldering-paste-50g-7952

Is 63/37....good for stencils....and works well. Alas, no lead-free :-/

-

2011\09\30@161345 by Dwayne Reid

flavicon
face
At 02:02 PM 9/30/2011, Marc Nicholas wrote:

>Apparently this one:
>
>http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mechanics-soldering-paste-50g-7952
>
>Is 63/37....good for stencils....and works well. Alas, no lead-free :-/

Excellent!  Many thanks!

63/37 is exactly what I want.  We build projects for mostly industrial users who specify that we are to avoid lead-free solder.

Any idea of what flux they use?  My strong preference is for Water Soluble if at all possible.

Thanks again!

dwayne

-- Dwayne Reid   <dwaynerspamKILLspamplanet.eon.net>
Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd    Edmonton, AB, CANADA
(780) 489-3199 voice          (780) 487-6397 fax
http://www.trinity-electronics.com
Custom Electronics Design and Manufacturing

2011\09\30@163740 by V G

picon face
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Marc Nicholas <.....geekythingKILLspamspam.....gmail.com> wrote:

>  Apparently this one:
>
> http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mechanics-soldering-paste-50g-7952
>
> Is 63/37....good for stencils....and works well. Alas, no lead-free :-/
>
>
Great, gonna try it out

2011\09\30@163852 by V G

picon face
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 4:37 PM, V G <EraseMEx.solarwind.xspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTgmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Marc Nicholas <geekythingspamspam_OUTgmail.com>wrote:
>
>>  Apparently this one:
>>
>> www.dealextreme.com/p/mechanics-soldering-paste-50g-7952
>>
>> Is 63/37....good for stencils....and works well. Alas, no lead-free :-/
>>
>>
> Great, gonna try it out.
>


They are saying it dries out quickly. Is it possible to mix it with liquid
flux if it does dry out

2011\09\30@232807 by William \Chops\ Westfield

face picon face

On Sep 30, 2011, at 1:38 PM, V G wrote:

> Is it possible to mix it with liquid flux if it does dry out?

If it's a rosin flux, get some 99% isopropyl alcohol; you want to add  solvent for thinning, not actual additional flux.  I don't know if  it's possible to mix in solvent sufficiently uniformly for any form of  automatic dispensing, but I'd think it would work OK for hand- application or individually inspected stenciling...

BillW

2011\09\30@235539 by V G

picon face
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 11:28 PM, William "Chops" Westfield
<@spam@westfwKILLspamspammac.com>wrote:

>  If it's a rosin flux, get some 99% isopropyl alcohol; you want to add
> solvent for thinning, not actual additional flux.  I don't know if
> it's possible to mix in solvent sufficiently uniformly for any form of
> automatic dispensing, but I'd think it would work OK for hand-
> application or individually inspected stenciling...
>
>
Sounds good


'[OT] DX Solder Paste'
2011\10\01@065447 by Marc Nicholas
picon face
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Dwayne Reid <KILLspamdwaynerKILLspamspamplanet.eon.net> wrote:
> At 02:02 PM 9/30/2011, Marc Nicholas wrote:
>
>>Apparently this one:
>>
>>www.dealextreme.com/p/mechanics-soldering-paste-50g-7952
>>
>>Is 63/37....good for stencils....and works well. Alas, no lead-free :-/
>
> Excellent!  Many thanks!
>
> 63/37 is exactly what I want.  We build projects for mostly
> industrial users who specify that we are to avoid lead-free solder.

Wow....I didn't know people *choose* to have the lead, but I guess
there was a reason why it was in there in the first place ;)

> Any idea of what flux they use?  My strong preference is for Water
> Soluble if at all possible.

Sorry, not sure what flux it is :-/

But at that price/shipping cost, it's worth experimenting! :)

-m

2011\10\01@071734 by Michael Watterson

face picon face
On 01/10/2011 11:54, Marc Nicholas wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Dwayne Reid<RemoveMEdwaynerTakeThisOuTspamplanet.eon.net>  wrote:
>> At 02:02 PM 9/30/2011, Marc Nicholas wrote:
>>
>>> Apparently this one:
>>>
>>> www.dealextreme.com/p/mechanics-soldering-paste-50g-7952
>>>
>>> Is 63/37....good for stencils....and works well. Alas, no lead-free :-/
>> Excellent!  Many thanks!
>>
>> 63/37 is exactly what I want.  We build projects for mostly
>> industrial users who specify that we are to avoid lead-free solder.
> Wow....I didn't know people *choose* to have the lead, but I guess
> there was a reason why it was in there in the first place ;)
>

Because it works better.

If not for inclusion of PCBs in RoHS laws then almost no-one would use lead free solder. Pure tin is the worst.. Brittle, poor flow, more bad/dry joints, more prone to tin plague if any nearby gold, grows whiskers that short tracks.

Lead doesn't just lower the melting point but improves the soldering in lots of ways.

The "best" lead free are still not really as good as Tin/Lead. The minimum is Tin with some silver.

But even the Tin/Lead solder a little silver helps reduce leaching of silver on chip capacitors and a little copper can help too.


2011\10\01@073445 by Marc Nicholas

picon face
On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 7:16 AM, Michael Watterson <spamBeGonemikespamBeGonespamradioway.org> wrote:

>> Wow....I didn't know people *choose* to have the lead, but I guess
>> there was a reason why it was in there in the first place ;)
>
> Because it works better.
>
> If not for inclusion of PCBs in RoHS laws then almost no-one would use
> lead free solder. Pure tin is the worst.. Brittle, poor flow, more
> bad/dry joints, more prone to tin plague if any nearby gold, grows
> whiskers that short tracks.
>
> Lead doesn't just lower the melting point but improves the soldering in
> lots of ways.
>
> The "best" lead free are still not really as good as Tin/Lead. The
> minimum is Tin with some silver.

Thanks for the explanation, Michael.

> But even the Tin/Lead solder a little silver helps reduce leaching of
> silver on chip capacitors and a little copper can help too.

Yes, I still have narrow dimension "silver" solder spools as I always
found it much better for soldering SMD components (back when I had
steady enough hands and good enough eyesight to solder them by hand!).
:)

Cheers,

-

2011\10\01@074548 by Michael Watterson

face picon face
On 01/10/2011 12:34, Marc Nicholas wrote:
>> >  But even the Tin/Lead solder a little silver helps reduce leaching of
>> >  silver on chip capacitors and a little copper can help too.
> Yes, I still have narrow dimension "silver" solder spools as I always
> found it much better for soldering SMD components (back when I had
> steady enough hands and good enough eyesight to solder them by hand!).
> :)

There is stuff called "silver solder" but it's not for soldering in Electronics sense. It's for "brazing" with an accurate blowtorch.

2011\10\01@154210 by Dwayne Reid

flavicon
face
At 04:54 AM 10/1/2011, Marc Nicholas wrote:

>Wow....I didn't know people *choose* to have the lead, but I guess
>there was a reason why it was in there in the first place ;)

Lead-free solder is commonly regarded as being significantly less reliable over long time periods than lead-based solder.  As a result, pretty much all military, avionics, space, and many industrial users specify that lead-free solder is to be avoided.

I understand that some newer lead-free formulations are much more reliable than the early versions but only time will tell if that is in fact the case.

Funny RoHS exemption: 92% lead solder is exempt from RoHS regulations.

dwayne

-- Dwayne Reid   <TakeThisOuTdwaynerEraseMEspamspam_OUTplanet.eon.net>
Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd    Edmonton, AB, CANADA
(780) 489-3199 voice          (780) 487-6397 fax
http://www.trinity-electronics.com
Custom Electronics Design and Manufacturing

2011\10\01@165529 by cdb

flavicon
face
::They are saying it dries out quickly. Is it possible to mix it with ::liquid flux if it does dry out?

With solder paste there will often be a specific flux to use recommended by the manufacturer. Though so long as you are not making medical devices or items that require a high level of safety, it is not so important.

Colin --
cdb, RemoveMEcolinspamTakeThisOuTbtech-online.co.uk on 2/10/2011
Web presence: http://www.btech-online.co.uk   Hosted by:  http://www.justhost.com.au
 This email is to be considered private if addressed to a named  individual or Personnel Department, and public if addressed to a blog,  forum or news article.

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2011 , 2012 only
- Today
- New search...