Searching \ for '[OT]: Printable Circuitry' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=printable+circuitry
Search entire site for: 'Printable Circuitry'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OT]: Printable Circuitry'
2001\03\03@214953 by myke predko

flavicon
face
Hi Folks,

You might want to check out:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/printable-computer.htm

which is an introduction to the *really* cool technology of being able to
print circuits like documents.  There are a number of companies working on
it and the article suggests things like disposable consumer items and
printing electronics on clothing (ie the "watches" Larry Niven wrote about
imprinted on shirt cuffs).

The technology is a few years away and unfortunately it doesn't address the
idea of prototyping (I'm thinking of no longer having to wire-wrap).  Like
all these articles, it has the hype of creating Pentium class processors for
just a few dollars on a sheet of plastic.

In any case, it's pretty interesting,

myke

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2001\03\04@032311 by Tsvetan Usunov

flavicon
face
>The technology is a few years away and unfortunately it doesn't address
the
>idea of prototyping (I'm thinking of no longer having to wire-wrap).

you wish ;)

>Like all these articles, it has the hype of creating Pentium class
processors for
>just a few dollars on a sheet of plastic.

LOL!
I'm interested in how they will do sub-micron printing with "ink-jet" like
printers - pretty dumb approach.
And what ink they will use for printing?
IBM, INTEL wouldn't spend billions in technology research if the things
were so much easy.
The circuit I saw on this web were with components 1x1 cm which is probably
more than the Pentium MCU all silicon chip.
Very cool "technology" to show the students how the IC circuits are
created, but with this kind of technology simple OPAMP like uA741 (we made
in our semiconductors classes (in the very past) when I was student) will
be printed on plastic with 10x10 cm :)

Best regards

Tsvetan
---
PCB prototypes for $26 at http://run.to/pcb

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics


2001\03\04@033346 by Chris Carr

flavicon
face
Myke Preko wrote:
>
> You might want to check out:
>
> http://www.howstuffworks.com/printable-computer.htm
>
> which is an introduction to the *really* cool technology of being able to
> print circuits like documents.  There are a number of companies working on
> it and the article suggests things like disposable consumer items and
> printing electronics on clothing (ie the "watches" Larry Niven wrote about
> imprinted on shirt cuffs).

Would a leaky ball point pen cause you to go off line ?

>
> The technology is a few years away and unfortunately it doesn't address
the
> idea of prototyping (I'm thinking of no longer having to wire-wrap).  Like
> all these articles, it has the hype of creating Pentium class processors
for
> just a few dollars on a sheet of plastic.
>
> In any case, it's pretty interesting,
>
I think we all may have to install a loom in the front room.
www.aip.org/inside_science/html/117.html
or type "Smart Shirt" in your favourite Search Engine
or look at http://www.digitalangel.net/

Electronics woven into your clothing.
Hey, I've just thought, build a GPS receiver and a transmitter into each
item of clothing and we may be able to locate that odd sock that goes
missing in the Washing Machine.

There was a whole series of articles on future developments in "Electronics
Times" dated 26 Feb 2001. Such as Accenture's (Andersen Consulting) vision
of embedding electronics in everything, so everything would be
pay-as-you-go. Want to sit down in a chair that will be #10 (would old
people get concessionary rates?) it's hardly surprising given the success of
pay-as-you-go Mobile Phones and lets face it Digital TV is all about
encryption and the ability to introduce pay-per-view.

I'm starting to get even more depressed now than I was after reading the
article "Over the Hill at 35: age and electronics". :-)

Regards

Chris

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics


2001\03\04@044952 by Jinx

face picon face
> > http://www.howstuffworks.com/printable-computer.htm

There's also this - a printer is being developed that uses
polystyrene-based toner that can build an object by printing
it out in layers

http://www.howstuffworks.com/news-item115.htm

> There was a whole series of articles on future developments in
> "Electronics Times" dated 26 Feb 2001. Such as Accenture's
> (Andersen Consulting) vision of embedding electronics in
> everything, so everything would be pay-as-you-go

A NZ company has just secured 49 patents for a system that
will use possibly 100,000 "minders" using Pulsed Software
Radio-Ultra Wide band in a massively-paralled FPGA system
that can move 60 gigabits / sec of information. More in the
"Corporate" section of http://www.indranet.co.nz

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics


2001\03\09@161522 by Jinx

face picon face
$10 disposable cell phone - printed on paper

http://www.dtcproducts.com/home.html

and

http://slashdot.org/articles/01/01/27/068251.shtml

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics


More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2001 , 2002 only
- Today
- New search...