Searching \ for '[OT]: Mchip website down ? (2008 SAT 30 NOV 2002 U' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=mchip+website+down
Search entire site for: 'Mchip website down ? (2008 SAT 30 NOV 2002 U'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OT]: Mchip website down ? (2008 SAT 30 NOV 2002 U'
2002\11\30@151341 by Peter L. Peres

picon face
I seem unable to get any data from http://www.microchip.com using any one of
three (!) different browsers. Can any1 confirm this ?

Revision1: I managed to get in by typing the URL:

http://www.microchip.com/index.asp

http://www.microchip.com did not yield any results (it just hung there).
Using Netscape 4.7x and Opera 6.1.

Peter

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.


2002\11\30@152625 by Sean Alcorn - PIC Stuff

flavicon
face
> I seem unable to get any data from http://www.microchip.com using any one of
> three (!) different browsers. Can any1 confirm this ?

I have not been able to access the site for many weeks from my home (in
Australia), yet in the office (different ISP, therefore different DNS),
I have no problems at all.

At home I get all different results with different browsers if I try to
access the main page, but if I have a direct link to say, a data sheet,
I have no problem.

Very strange.

Regards,

Sean

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.


2002\11\30@152837 by Spehro Pefhany

picon face
At 10:11 PM 11/30/02 +0200, you wrote:
>I seem unable to get any data from http://www.microchip.com using any one of
>three (!) different browsers. Can any1 confirm this ?
>
>Revision1: I managed to get in by typing the URL:
>
>http://www.microchip.com/index.asp
>
>http://www.microchip.com did not yield any results (it just hung there).
>Using Netscape 4.7x and Opera 6.1.

Working from here. Try going directly to http://198.175.253.68
in case you have a DNS issue at your end. Or maybe it's a cookie issue,
that web site uses a cookie to direct you to the right place. Or maybe
it *was* down and is up now.

Best regards,

Spehro Pefhany --"it's the network..."            "The Journey is the reward"
spam_OUTspeffTakeThisOuTspaminterlog.com             Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
Embedded software/hardware/analog  Info for designers:  http://www.speff.com

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.


2002\11\30@172924 by Peter L. Peres

picon face
On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

*>At 10:11 PM 11/30/02 +0200, you wrote:
*>>I seem unable to get any data from http://www.microchip.com using any one of
*>>three (!) different browsers. Can any1 confirm this ?
*>>
*>>Revision1: I managed to get in by typing the URL:
*>>
*>>http://www.microchip.com/index.asp
*>>
*>>http://www.microchip.com did not yield any results (it just hung there).
*>>Using Netscape 4.7x and Opera 6.1.
*>
*>Working from here. Try going directly to http://198.175.253.68
*>in case you have a DNS issue at your end. Or maybe it's a cookie issue,
*>that web site uses a cookie to direct you to the right place. Or maybe
*>it *was* down and is up now.

I think it's dns. On my end it looks like this:

> gethostbyname http://www.microchip.com
looking up http://www.microchip.com...found:
Official name: a69.na.akamai.net
 alias      : http://www.microchip.com
 alias      : http://www.microchip.com.edgesuite.net
Address      : 212.179.4.13
Address      : 212.179.4.7

The direct url (index.asp) works though. They must have some funky virtual
server setup somewhere. gethostbyname is a little utility I wrote some
time ago to test the gethostbyname() library function. There is also
gethostbyaddr.

Direct access to http://www.microchip.com resulted in a redirect with
non-absolute url that took me to .../index.asp. The latter works always
(Sean, try it).

Peter

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.


2002\11\30@210303 by cdb

flavicon
face
Sean,

If Optus is your home ISP they have not got their DNS server set
correctly.  If you type in the physical URL 198. what ever it is the
Microchip site appears, but www,microchip.com comes up with a 404
error.

No one at Optus support seems bothered.

Colin
--
cdb, .....bodgy1KILLspamspam@spam@optusnet.com.au on 01/12/2002

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright
until they speak!

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.


2002\11\30@230753 by Peter McNulty

picon face
Hi,

I've got this problem as well, on and off really. All you have to do, is
remove the www part of the URL and it works perfectly. Just a bit annoying.

-Peter
{Original Message removed}

2002\11\30@235357 by Dale Botkin

flavicon
face
On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, cdb wrote:

> If Optus is your home ISP they have not got their DNS server set
> correctly.  If you type in the physical URL 198. what ever it is the
> Microchip site appears, but www,microchip.com comes up with a 404
> error.
>
> No one at Optus support seems bothered.

I am **SO** glad I run my own DNS server.  Seems most ISPs are pretty much
clueless any more.  I used to own & run an ISP, back when it was new and
the average IQ on the Net was a few points higher.  Back then you'd be
laughed out of town if you hosed up DNS, now it's no big deal.

Guys, if you have a spare old Pantium box around - hell, even a 486 - load
up Linux or BSD and run the latest BIND.  End of DNS problems.  It's not
rocket science.

Dale

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.



'[OT]: Mchip website down ? (2008 SAT 30 NOV 2002 U'
2002\12\01@002709 by Jim
flavicon
face
Dale,

What's to prevent me from simply pointing to your
DNS and using that to resolve 'names'?

I've had to set up my Wintel box here to 'point'
at other DNS's when my ISP's DNS was 'hosed up' ...

RF (and obvioulsly not *only* RF) Jim


{Original Message removed}

2002\12\01@004817 by Sean Alcorn - PIC Stuff

flavicon
face
Colin,

> If Optus is your home ISP they have not got their DNS server set
> correctly.  If you type in the physical URL 198. what ever it is the
> Microchip site appears, but www,microchip.com comes up with a 404
> error.

Good guess. I use Optus Cable. Yes, I accessed the site this morning
using the IP address that Spehro posted. I got the main page (choose
Graphics or Text) which would suggest either a) somebody ate my cookie
or b) the cookie works only for the URL and not the IP.

I chose Graphics, but then I got a 404 error. Don't worry too much
guys. I *try* not to work from home, but one time I needed a particular
data sheet and Olin forwarded to me.

The interesting thing is though, that the problem is not related to
just one ISP in one country. Perhaps Microchip propagated the DNS with
the wrong data at one time or another (about a month ago, I would
guess).

> No one at Optus support seems bothered.

What a surprise!

I know the guy that came up with the 'Yes' campaign - what a hoax! :-)

Sean

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email listservspamKILLspammitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2002\12\01@005855 by Sean Alcorn - PIC Stuff

flavicon
face
Dale,

> Guys, if you have a spare old Pantium box around - hell, even a 486 -
> load
> up Linux or BSD and run the latest BIND.  End of DNS problems.  It's
> not
> rocket science.

Apparently Mac OS X has it, it's just not turned on by default. Would I
have to have a separate box or just run it from my own machine? After
that, how much maintenance or does it look after itself?

Regards,

Sean

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email .....listservKILLspamspam.....mitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2002\12\01@010311 by Sean Alcorn - PIC Stuff

flavicon
face
> I've got this problem as well, on and off really. All you have to do,
> is
> remove the www part of the URL and it works perfectly. Just a bit
> annoying.

This trick works for me too - thanks Peter!

Sean

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email EraseMElistservspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTmitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2002\12\01@011039 by Dale Botkin

flavicon
face
On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, Jim wrote:

> What's to prevent me from simply pointing to your
> DNS and using that to resolve 'names'?

I *think* I've got query turned off from everywhwere but here, meaning you
can use my DNS to resolve my domain(s) but not others.  I can use it for
anything.  There are, though, lots of more reliable DNS servers out there,
many of which you can use from anywhere.  I'm on a cable modem and use a
secondary DNS service for redundancy and to keep a lower profile with the
ISP.  It's a challenge to run your own domain on a consumer cable modem
connection, but it can be done.

> I've had to set up my Wintel box here to 'point'
> at other DNS's when my ISP's DNS was 'hosed up' ...

Me too, until a few years ago when I set up my own.  It's so
low-maintenance, I just check a couple of times a year for any compelling
reasons to update my BIND version.  There's even a Windows NT/2000 version
now.

Dale

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email listservspamspam_OUTmitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2002\12\01@011245 by Dale Botkin

flavicon
face
On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Sean Alcorn - PIC Stuff wrote:

> Dale,
>
> > Guys, if you have a spare old Pantium box around - hell, even a 486 -
> > load
> > up Linux or BSD and run the latest BIND.  End of DNS problems.  It's
> > not
> > rocket science.
>
> Apparently Mac OS X has it, it's just not turned on by default.

Well, yeah, I did say BSD.  8-)

> Would I have to have a separate box or just run it from my own
> machine? After that, how much maintenance or does it look after
> itself?

You can use the same box.  Just check for security patches from time to
time, same as any other thing.  Better yet if you have a firewall or
packet filter, or simply have it configured to only talk to your lcoal
machine or network.

Dale

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email @spam@listservKILLspamspammitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2002\12\01@014433 by Sean Alcorn - PIC Stuff

flavicon
face
Dale,

>> Apparently Mac OS X has it, it's just not turned on by default.
>
> Well, yeah, I did say BSD.  8-)

And they could have left it out of the box!

I've tried Linux and BSD. I'll take OS X any day. :-)

> You can use the same box.  Just check for security patches from time to
> time, same as any other thing.

They come down automatically! A new version of BIND was released last
week.

> Better yet if you have a firewall or
> packet filter, or simply have it configured to only talk to your lcoal
> machine or network.

I'll try to find a setup note on this.

Cheers,

Sean

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email KILLspamlistservKILLspamspammitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2002\12\01@130211 by Nate Duehr

face
flavicon
face
This is probably because....

;; ANSWER SECTION:
http://www.microchip.com.      43160   IN      CNAME
http://www.microchip.com.edgesuite.net.
http://www.microchip.com.edgesuite.net. 21560 IN CNAME a69.na.akamai.net.
a69.na.akamai.net.      20      IN      A       80.67.68.23
a69.na.akamai.net.      20      IN      A       80.67.68.22

The http://www.microchip.com site goes to a round-robin DNS A record via two
different CNAME records... (dumb.)  It's also ending up at Akamai, a web
service company that helps companies with world-wide load-balancing
services based on where you're coming from on the Net... (so Akamai may
have something borked in their setup...)

;; ANSWER SECTION:
microchip.com.          43085   IN      A       198.175.253.68

And microchip.com only goes one nice boring single address.  Which works
fine if I type it into my browser.

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X  (AIM: BigNateCO)
RemoveMEnateTakeThisOuTspamnatetech.com

On Sat, 2002-11-30 at 21:09, Peter McNulty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got this problem as well, on and off really. All you have to do, is
> remove the www part of the URL and it works perfectly. Just a bit annoying.
>
> -Peter

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email spamBeGonelistservspamBeGonespammitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2002\12\02@145723 by Peter L. Peres

picon face
On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, Jim wrote:

*>Dale,
*>
*>What's to prevent me from simply pointing to your
*>DNS and using that to resolve 'names'?

Modern Unix BIND has options to disallow 'others' from asking questions.
It only allows approved networks. The firewall will also limit you. I also
run this setup (BIND behind firewall). Works great. In combination with
the http proxy I use I can browse sites I've seen once months later
without going online.

Peter

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
TakeThisOuTpiclist-unsubscribe-requestEraseMEspamspam_OUTmitvma.mit.edu


2002\12\05@172621 by Peter L. Peres

picon face
This is a message from me that did not make it to the list. It is of no
interest now except for those admins who might want to check why it did
not make it originally.

sorry about bandwidth,

Peter

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 00:12:19 +0200 (IST)
From: Peter L. Peres <RemoveMEplpspamTakeThisOuTplp.plp.home.org>
To: pic microcontroller discussion list <PICLISTEraseMEspam.....MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: [OT]: Mchip website down ? (2008 SAT 30 NOV 2002 UTC)


On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

*>At 10:11 PM 11/30/02 +0200, you wrote:
*>>I seem unable to get any data from http://www.microchip.com using any one of
*>>three (!) different browsers. Can any1 confirm this ?
*>>
*>>Revision1: I managed to get in by typing the URL:
*>>
*>>http://www.microchip.com/index.asp
*>>
*>>http://www.microchip.com did not yield any results (it just hung there).
*>>Using Netscape 4.7x and Opera 6.1.
*>
*>Working from here. Try going directly to http://198.175.253.68
*>in case you have a DNS issue at your end. Or maybe it's a cookie issue,
*>that web site uses a cookie to direct you to the right place. Or maybe
*>it *was* down and is up now.

I think it's dns. On my end it looks like this:

> gethostbyname http://www.microchip.com
looking up http://www.microchip.com...found:
Official name: a69.na.akamai.net
 alias      : http://www.microchip.com
 alias      : http://www.microchip.com.edgesuite.net
Address      : 212.179.4.13
Address      : 212.179.4.7

The direct url (index.asp) works though. They must have some funky virtual
server setup somewhere. gethostbyname is a little utility I wrote some
time ago to test the gethostbyname() library function. There is also
gethostbyaddr.

Direct access to http://www.microchip.com resulted in a redirect with
non-absolute url that took me to .../index.asp. The latter works always
(Sean, try it).

Peter

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.


2002\12\05@235012 by Josh Koffman

flavicon
face
Actually Peter, I distinctly remember that original message. Perhaps it
made it to the list, but not back to you.

Josh
--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools.
       -Douglas Adams

"Peter L. Peres" wrote:
> This is a message from me that did not make it to the list. It is of no
> interest now except for those admins who might want to check why it did
> not make it originally.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.


2002\12\06@024558 by Peter L. Peres

picon face
On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Josh Koffman wrote:

*>Actually Peter, I distinctly remember that original message. Perhaps it
*>made it to the list, but not back to you.

Neither archive remembers it. Other messages in this thread yes but this
one no. I also did not see it.

Peter

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email EraseMElistservspammitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2002 , 2003 only
- Today
- New search...