Searching \ for '[OT]: Free Antivirus Software' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=free+antivirus+software
Search entire site for: 'Free Antivirus Software'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OT]: Free Antivirus Software'
2001\07\15@233629 by Russell McMahon

picon face
Both of the following antivirus packages have received some favourable
comment and are available free for personal use (except in mainland Europe
for AVG)
The CA Antivirus software is now no longer available free.

If you do not have any antivirus software installed then or both of these
would be better than nothing. (No antivirus software is perfect - I
personally use Symantec / Norton antivirus which so far has worked well ).


1.    AVG Anitivirus
Well spoken of by some
Free for personal use EXCEPT in mainland Europe

   http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_downl.cfm


2.    FPROT
Free for personal use.

   http://www.complex.is/f-prot/Download.html

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
spam_OUTpiclist-unsubscribe-requestTakeThisOuTspammitvma.mit.edu


2001\07\16@090859 by Jinx

face picon face
Thanks Russell, very timely. I enabled my sister's PC at the
w/e and wasn't too happy about them surfing unprotected.
Although CAI have stopped new installations of the free
InoculateIT, at least they'll continue with updates for current
installations

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2001\07\16@093606 by Andy N1YEW

picon face
i dont open anything unless i know the source is valid and i asked for it
:-)
thats my virus policy, but of course you do know that M$ software is
bugged.....

andy -- if ya want the whole story email me
{Original Message removed}

2001\07\16@095901 by Russell McMahon

picon face
> Thanks Russell, very timely. I enabled my sister's PC at the
> w/e and wasn't too happy about them surfing unprotected.
> Although CAI have stopped new installations of the free
> InoculateIT, at least they'll continue with updates for current
> installations


When web enabling Windoze PCs with network facilities (or network capability
enabled) remember to ALWAYS got to Control Panel
and turn off bindings to Windows networking and file & print sharing for

  TCPIP bound to dial up adaptor
   NetBUI bound to dial up adaptor
   Anything else that decodes to bind to dial up adaptor

If you don't do this you have a large hacker sized hole which will be
rapidly found by scanner software.
I've seen it happen recently to some friends.

Windows 95 tends to enable these by default
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



RM

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2001\07\16@102339 by Jinx

face picon face
> When web enabling Windoze PCs with network facilities
> (or network capability enabled) remember to ALWAYS got
> to Control Panel and turn off bindings to Windows networking
> and file & print sharing for

> If you don't do this you have a large hacker sized hole

My neighbour found that out the hard way last year. We were
on a LAN connection (with him as server and the gateway to
the web). His hastily set up machine was attacked and infiltrated
several times but I was lucky enough that he'd at least set up
a firewall on mine

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2001\07\16@113436 by ichard Phillips

flavicon
face
{Quote hidden}

It's a good idea to remove the NetBEUI protocol completely unless you
actually need it - it's got plenty of security holes.

Installing a firewall is also advisable if you want to be really secure -
one such as Zone Alarm can be used for personal use, no cost, and easy to
configure.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2001\07\16@124859 by Dwayne Reid

flavicon
face
At 03:50 PM 7/16/01 +0100, Richard Phillips wrote:

>It's a good idea to remove the NetBEUI protocol completely unless you
>actually need it - it's got plenty of security holes.

Actually, Steve Gibson at GRC says exactly the opposite: use NetBUI for all
your internal network operations and allow TCP/IP to be used only for
internet connections.  He has a VERY detailed description of how do set up
the bindings in a Win 9x machine - and the reasons for doing it that
way.  Check out http://www.grc.com for more details.

dwayne



Dwayne Reid   <.....dwaynerKILLspamspam@spam@planet.eon.net>
Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd    Edmonton, AB, CANADA
(780) 489-3199 voice          (780) 487-6397 fax

Celebrating 17 years of Engineering Innovation (1984 - 2001)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Do NOT send unsolicited commercial email to this email address.
This message neither grants consent to receive unsolicited
commercial email nor is intended to solicit commercial email.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2001\07\16@134633 by Andy N1YEW

picon face
better firewall is atguard, althought it was bought by norton you can still
find copies on the net..(only abouit 1.49 mb)

andy http://n1yew.ath.cx:8080/
{Original Message removed}

2001\07\16@150322 by Dale Botkin

flavicon
face
On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Dwayne Reid wrote:

> At 03:50 PM 7/16/01 +0100, Richard Phillips wrote:
>
> >It's a good idea to remove the NetBEUI protocol completely unless you
> >actually need it - it's got plenty of security holes.
>
> Actually, Steve Gibson at GRC says exactly the opposite: use NetBUI for all
> your internal network operations and allow TCP/IP to be used only for
> internet connections.  He has a VERY detailed description of how do set up
> the bindings in a Win 9x machine - and the reasons for doing it that
> way.  Check out http://www.grc.com for more details.

This is correct.  That's how I did it for several years when I ran an ISP.
Our internal network was NetBEUI, with TCP/IP only for Internet traffic
--in other words, don't bind TCP/IP to Windows networking.  Don't bind
TCP/IP to *anything*.  This prevents anyone from outside your own network
from getting access to your Windoze network shares and such, since NetBEUI
is not routable.

We were an ISP, had our entire office directly connected to the net (yeah,
it was a simpler time then), were constantly probed, and our office PCs
were never once compromised.  We knew exactly how everything was set up,
and *we* couldn't break in.  Of course I would not suggest this to
amateurs, if you don't do it right you've just shot yourself in the foot.

Dale
--
A train stops at a train station.  A bus stops at a bus station.
On my desk I have a workstation...

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2001\07\16@181128 by D Lloyd
flavicon
face
part 1 1285 bytes content-type:text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Hi,

If they are surfing "unprotected", it might be worth them getting a
firewall installed. http://www.grc.com gives an indication of which are better and
also hosts some simple tests. Mr Gibson (as in grc) seems to favour the
Zonelabs free firewall.

Just a suggestion as I often cringe at both the number of trojan connection
attempts I get while online + the amount of friends I know who have *no
idea* about trojans or similar.

Regards,
Dan






(Embedded     Jinx <joecolquittspamKILLspamCLEAR.NET.NZ>spamKILLspamMITVMA.MIT.EDU>> image moved   16/07/2001 14:07
to file:
pic15890.pcx)





Please respond to pic microcontroller discussion list
     <
.....PICLISTKILLspamspam.....MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Sent by:  pic microcontroller discussion list <EraseMEPICLISTspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTMITVMA.MIT.EDU>


To:   PICLISTspamspam_OUTMITVMA.MIT.EDU
cc:
Subject:  Re: [OT]: Free Antivirus Software

Security Level:?         Internal


Thanks Russell, very timely. I enabled my sister's PC at the
w/e and wasn't too happy about them surfing unprotected.
Although CAI have stopped new installations of the free
InoculateIT, at least they'll continue with updates for current
installations

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads






part 2 165 bytes content-type:application/octet-stream; (decode)

part 3 154 bytes
--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2001\07\16@181554 by Andy N1YEW

picon face
i sometimes get scanned, but not often....

andy
----- Original Message -----
From: D Lloyd <@spam@dan.lloydKILLspamspamGB.ABB.COM>
To: <KILLspamPICLISTKILLspamspamMITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2001 9:27 AM
Subject: Re: [OT]: Free Antivirus Software


>
> Hi,
>
> If they are surfing "unprotected", it might be worth them getting a
> firewall installed. http://www.grc.com gives an indication of which are better
and
> also hosts some simple tests. Mr Gibson (as in grc) seems to favour the
> Zonelabs free firewall.
>
> Just a suggestion as I often cringe at both the number of trojan
connection
{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2001 , 2002 only
- Today
- New search...