Searching \ for '[OT]: Dallas iButton' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=dallas+ibutton
Search entire site for: 'Dallas iButton'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OT]: Dallas iButton'
2001\11\15@205445 by Josh Koffman

flavicon
face
Hi all. I was given a few iButtons at a trade show, and now I want to
experiment with them, but I don't really want to buy a reader. Does
anyone know what the readers actually are - circuitry wise? Any
interfacing tips for use with pics, and for use with computers?

Thanks,

Josh Koffman
--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools.
       -Douglas Adams

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.


2001\11\15@213140 by Kathy Quinlan

flavicon
face
Hi Josh,

Go to the Maxim website, has all the info on Ibuttons there :o)

I believe there is nothing in the reader, just the PC interface in the D25
and D9 plugs to change the +5V signal to RS232 levels :o) (maybe a bit of
ESD protection too)


Regards,

Kat.

____________________________________________________________________________
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  |        K.A.Q. Electronics
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail | Software and Electronic Engineering
X  - NO Word docs in e-mail  |      Perth Western Australia
/ \                                            |        Ph +61 419 923 731
____________________________________________________________________________


{Original Message removed}

2001\11\16@023914 by Jean-Michel Howland

flavicon
face
>Go to the Maxim website, has all the info on Ibuttons there :o)
>
>I believe there is nothing in the reader, just the PC interface in the D25
>and D9 plugs to change the +5V signal to RS232 levels :o) (maybe a bit of
>ESD protection too)

Further to this, Maxim/Dallas also have iButton development kits available
as a free sample. :o)

The Thermocron kit is great and very interesting to play with.  My freezer
runs at a very chilly -15C and it was interesting to see the compressor
kicking in at regular intervals.

Regards
Jean-Michel.

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email spam_OUTlistservTakeThisOuTspammitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2001\11\16@031112 by dr. Imre Bartfai

flavicon
face
Hi,

the reader itself is nothing: two wires. The communication protocol is
rather simple and downloadable from their websites (http://www.ibutton.com). I
myself had done a lot of apps with this. A warning: Dallas suggests a
protection circuitry between the host and the reader. It is a no-nonsense
suggestion (I made at least a half of it as it has 4 stages in the full
version)!

Regards,
Imre


+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
| The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity |
| to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or          |
| privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or    |
| other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this          |
| information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient  |
| is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the      |
| sender and delete the material from any computer.                     |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Josh Koffman wrote:

{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email .....listservKILLspamspam@spam@mitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2001\11\16@043920 by dpharris

picon face
Hi-
Can you be more specific -- their website isn't very obvious to me -- Thanks.
David


Jean-Michel Howland wrote:

{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email .....listservKILLspamspam.....mitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2001\11\16@043935 by Kathy Quinlan

flavicon
face
DOH forgot to mention the freebies, although watch out for them, I ordered 1
kit, they sent 2, I ordered some RS 485 chips and an 80c320, they still have
not arrived <sigh>

But the kits are great fun, I ordered the standard Ibuton kit, and it comes
with about 8 Ibuttons, and 2 readers :o) Still have not fired it up yet,
they have only been sitting here for 2 months lol

Regards,

Kat.

____________________________________________________________________________
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  |        K.A.Q. Electronics
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail | Software and Electronic Engineering
X  - NO Word docs in e-mail  |      Perth Western Australia
/ \                                            |        Ph +61 419 923 731
____________________________________________________________________________


{Original Message removed}

2001\11\16@060625 by Jean-Michel Howland

flavicon
face
>Hi-
>Can you be more specific -- their website isn't very obvious to me -- Thanks.
>David

How's this for specific. :o)

http://para.maxim-ic.com/compare.asp?Fam=IBAccess&Tree=iButton&HP=1-Wire.cfm&SORD=306&FT_306=8005&ITEMLIST=102782,102783,102786

And as Kat just mentioned, they seem to be pretty random when you order
samples, you never know if they will arrive and if you'll get everything
you ordered.

Regards
Jean-Michel.




>Jean-Michel Howland wrote:
>
>>  >Go to the Maxim website, has all the info on Ibuttons there :o)
>>  >
>>  >I believe there is nothing in the reader, just the PC interface in
the D25
>>  >and D9 plugs to change the +5V signal to RS232 levels :o) (maybe a bit of
>>  >ESD protection too)
>>
>> Further to this, Maxim/Dallas also have iButton development kits available
>> as a free sample. :o)
>>
>> The Thermocron kit is great and very interesting to play with.  My freezer
>> runs at a very chilly -15C and it was interesting to see the compressor
>> kicking in at regular intervals.
>>
>> Regards
>> Jean-Michel.
>>
>> --
>> http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
>> email EraseMElistservspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTmitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body
>
>--
>http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
>email listservspamspam_OUTmitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email @spam@listservKILLspamspammitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2001\11\16@070200 by Gerhard Fiedler

flavicon
face
At 00:47 11/16/2001 -0800, David Harris wrote:
>Can you be more specific -- their website isn't very obvious to me -- Thanks.

You already got a URL, but this is another method which may serve in other
cases, too (for which the URL will not :)...  On the Maxim home page
(http://www.maxim-ic.com) type "ibutton kit" in the search field -- left top of
page), and then use e.g. the first result (or some of the others, too).

ge

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email KILLspamlistservKILLspamspammitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2001\11\17@133630 by Robert McAtee

flavicon
face
Josh, I've "played" extensively with iButtons and even wear a 64K(bit)
iButton ring for fun. After reading many mailings from users of both the
pic and stamp lists about trying to read the suckers with either pic or
stamp I'd advise.... forget it!.. If you really want to play with the
critters buy the full package with software and probe. I think I got mine
for about $75US. At the moment I have about 40 iButtons. Interesting
critters but, note that some have a tiny lithnium(?) battery and limited
life. ==Mac== AG5F, Abilene, TX.


At 09:09 PM 11/15/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi all. I was given a few iButtons at a trade show, and now I want to
>experiment with them, but I don't really want to buy a reader. Does
>anyone know what the readers actually are - circuitry wise? Any
>interfacing tips for use with pics, and for use with computers?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Josh Koffman

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
RemoveMEpiclist-unsubscribe-requestTakeThisOuTspammitvma.mit.edu


More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2001 , 2002 only
- Today
- New search...