Searching \ for '[OT]: BIOS fried? Can be reprogrammed?' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=bios+fried+can+reprogrammed
Search entire site for: 'BIOS fried? Can be reprogrammed?'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OT]: BIOS fried? Can be reprogrammed?'
2002\01\02@132821 by Dans_PIC_Stuff

picon face
Hi. I have a computer here that is as follows...
P3 500Mhz
256-PC100
ASUS P3B-F
Award BIOS

I think the BIOS is dead (not sure how, was working before I Fdisked the
HD).  Upon starting it up, it will detect the Processor and count memory
just like normal.  If I press "del" to enter setup, the screen goes blank
with a flashing cursor in the top left corner.  It stays this way forever.
It also does this if you let it try to boot normally, but I believe it is
doing that because it is trying to enter setup automatically.  (It does that
if you power it off while detecting the CPU speed durring POST).  I was
wondering if anybody here knew if it is possible to reprogram the BIOS chip.
And if so, does anybody have a programmer that can handle such chips?
Thanks for any help.

  -Dan

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2002\01\02@150134 by Dale Botkin

flavicon
face
I think it's highly unlikely that reformatting the HD fried the BIOS.  Have
you tried getting into the BIOS setup with the HD disconnected from the
interface?

Dale

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2002\01\02@162014 by Dave King

picon face
>I think the BIOS is dead (not sure how, was working before I Fdisked the
>HD).  Upon starting it up, it will detect the Processor and count memory
>just like normal.  If I press "del" to enter setup, the screen goes blank
>with a flashing cursor in the top left corner.  It stays this way forever.
>It also does this if you let it try to boot normally, but I believe it is
>doing that because it is trying to enter setup automatically.  (It does that
>if you power it off while detecting the CPU speed durring POST).  I was
>wondering if anybody here knew if it is possible to reprogram the BIOS chip.
>And if so, does anybody have a programmer that can handle such chips?
>Thanks for any help.
>
>    -Dan
Try reloading it when booting. Power on and hold down the Insert key.
This reloads the bios and might reset it enough to get around your problem.

Dave

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2002\01\02@170155 by Fabio Pereira

flavicon
face
> Hi. I have a computer here that is as follows...
> P3 500Mhz
> 256-PC100
> ASUS P3B-F
> Award BIOS
>
> I think the BIOS is dead (not sure how, was working before I Fdisked the
> HD).  Upon starting it up, it will detect the Processor and count memory
> just like normal.  If I press "del" to enter setup, the screen goes blank
> with a flashing cursor in the top left corner.  It stays this way forever.
> It also does this if you let it try to boot normally, but I believe it is
> doing that because it is trying to enter setup automatically.  (It does
that
> if you power it off while detecting the CPU speed durring POST).  I was
> wondering if anybody here knew if it is possible to reprogram the BIOS
chip.
> And if so, does anybody have a programmer that can handle such chips?
> Thanks for any help.
>
>    -Dan

Maybe a virus ????

The FLASH memory is a standard one, a 29F something (I think)... You will
have to download the BIOS file from asus and then flash the memory again in
any EPROM programmer ...

Fabio Pereira

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2002\01\02@174933 by Dans_PIC_Stuff

picon face
yep, tried that.  Tried it with everything unnecessary disconected.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dale Botkin" <spam_OUTdaleTakeThisOuTspamBOTKIN.ORG>
To: <.....PICLISTKILLspamspam@spam@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2002 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: [OT]: BIOS fried? Can be reprogrammed?


> I think it's highly unlikely that reformatting the HD fried the BIOS.
Have
{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2002\01\02@203404 by David P. Harris

picon face
Try ASUS and Award websites for Bios to reprogram the bios chip.  They usually
have a program to do it.
Good luck.
David

Dans_PIC_Stuff wrote:

{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2002\01\02@211100 by M. Adam Davis

flavicon
face
The only other thing to try before flashing the bios is to look for a
cmos reset jumper on the MB.  Set it for a few seconds, then back to
normal.  It could be a spurious setting in the cmos ram that's messed up.

If that doesn't work, look at the MB manufacturers web site to see if
you can flash it with a properly prepared floppy.

A co-worker of mine did successfully flash the bios chip with a nice
programmer before though.  There may be flash programmer kits out on the
net that are cheap as well.

-Adam

Dans_PIC_Stuff wrote:

>yep, tried that.  Tried it with everything unnecessary disconected.
>
>{Original Message removed}

2002\01\03@012936 by Dans_PIC_Stuff

picon face
Well, I have already disconnected everything, Set the BIOS reset jumper and
all that.  It does not get far enough to boot off any drive, even the
floppy.  It's dead in the water.  I'll tinker with it for a while again but
i think the chip needs reprogrammed via an external source.  :-/

 -Dan


{Original Message removed}

2002\01\03@022105 by Anand Dhuru

flavicon
face
Dan, there are some viruses that do corrupt/kill the BIOS. I went thru' this
before. Fortunately, I had taken a dump of the BIOS earlier.

Let me explain; this is a catch-22 situation. There is a utility available
(I can send it to you) that reprograms the BIOS. But, of course it is meant
for updates, not reprogramming a completely corrupted BIOS. That is, you
should be able to boot up the system first, and have a hex image of your
BIOS, when it was working. Of course, you can purchase this from the
manufacturer as well, if you can identify your motherboard precisely. I also
have another utlity which does precisely this.

So, if you dont have a hex dump of your BIOS taken earlier, this is the way
to go; first identify your motherboard for manufacturer and version. Then
visit the BIOS manufacturer's site, and purchase a dump for the latest
version of the BIOS supporting your motherboard. Then, if your system is
booting, run the utility which will automatically re-program the new image.
If your system is beyond booting, you will have to have access to a flash
EPROM programmer to do the same. Either way, once you get it working, make
sure you take an image of the BIOS and tuck it some place safe for future
use!

Regards,

Anand

{Original Message removed}

2002\01\03@025705 by Alexandre Domingos F. Souza

flavicon
face
>I think the BIOS is dead (not sure how, was working before I Fdisked the
>HD).  Upon starting it up, it will detect the Processor and count memory
>just like normal.  If I press "del" to enter setup, the screen goes blank
>with a flashing cursor in the top left corner.  It stays this way forever.
>It also does this if you let it try to boot normally, but I believe it is
>doing that because it is trying to enter setup automatically.  (It does
>that
>if you power it off while detecting the CPU speed durring POST).  I was
>wondering if anybody here knew if it is possible to reprogram the BIOS
>chip.
>And if so, does anybody have a programmer that can handle such chips?
>Thanks for any help.

       I don't think it is a BIOS fault, but you can try, it is a 28F1000 (if I'm not wrong) chip, as easy to program as an EPROM.


---8<---Corte aqui---8<----

Alexandre Souza
taitospamKILLspamterra.com.br
http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/pinball/

---8<---Corte aqui---8<----

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics


More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2002 , 2003 only
- Today
- New search...