Searching \ for '[OT]:: Raspberry Pi - various' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=raspberry+various
Search entire site for: ': Raspberry Pi - various'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OT]:: Raspberry Pi - various'
2012\05\08@100325 by RussellMc

face picon face
I suggest this thread as a general catch-all for 'things that are
happening' re RP.
Feel free if you must to produce various semirandom threads on the
subject, as has been happening. I suggest that this subject line be
used for at least somewhat technical aspects.

_____________

1. "Raspberry Pi goes to the movies"
Somewhat light weight discussion of use as a media centre, what
developments are taking place and wha can be done so far.

         http://www.designspark.com/content/raspberry-pi-goes-movies?cm_mmc=-email-_-other-_-%20-080512-raspberry_pi_weeklyupdate7-_-0

2. RS today advised that they are inviting the next 4000 people on
their list into their online store to place orders. An invitation did
not accompany the advice in my case.


       Russell

2012\05\18@163121 by Chris McSweeny

picon face
On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM, RussellMc <spam_OUTapptechnzTakeThisOuTspamgmail.com> wrote:
> 2. RS today advised that they are inviting the next 4000 people on
> their list into their online store to place orders. An invitation did
> not accompany the advice in my case.

I do finally have an invite - that's from a position of only
discovering RaspberryPi on the launch date from messages on this list,
and putting in an expression of interest at 10am GMT. Now just need to
decide what other bits I should get with it. Anybody else in the
process of placing a firm order or already got one?

Chri

2012\05\18@180003 by Chris Roper

picon face
Yes, I also got my invite today.

I already have most of the additional bits they list but I did select
the 4Gig SD card (The one with the pre installed OS was out of stock
unfortunately) and an HDMI cable.

They said will ship in about 3 weeks, not sure if I then have to add
the 6 weeks shipping to Africa to that, but at least I should have a
Pi before Christmas:)

Cheers
Chris (the other one)


On 18 May 2012 22:31, Chris McSweeny <.....cpmcsweenyKILLspamspam@spam@gmail.com> wrote:
{Quote hidden}

>

2012\05\18@185007 by cdb

flavicon
face
On Fri, 18 May 2012 21:31:20 +0100, Chris McSweeny wrote:
:: Anybody else in the
:: process of placing a firm order or already got one?

I've had mine for a couple of weeks now.
Apart from a minor problem with the power from the USB hub I purchased combined with keyboard current draw, my main problem is my lack of comfort in Linux.

Colin
--
cdb, .....colinKILLspamspam.....btech-online.co.uk on 19/05/2012
Web presence: http://www.btech-online.co.uk   Hosted by:  http://www.justhost.com.au
 This email is to be considered private if addressed to a named  individual or Personnel Department, and public if addressed to a blog,  forum or news article.
 

2012\05\18@205101 by Chris McSweeny
picon face
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 11:00 PM, Chris Roper <EraseMEcaroperspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTgmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I also got my invite today.
>
> I already have most of the additional bits they list but I did select
> the 4Gig SD card (The one with the pre installed OS was out of stock
> unfortunately) and an HDMI cable.

Do you know if you go into the RS store using your code whether you
can leave and then go back again so long as you haven't actually
bought a RPi? Interested to go and see what they have on offer as
accessories, but not if it means I have to place my order there and
then or lose my chance.

Thanks,

Chri

2012\05\19@044702 by Chris Roper

picon face
I don't think so.
I just tried to go back in with my code to generate the list for you
but it reports "Invalid Code".
It is obviously a use once code.

>From memory the options were:

A choice of wall-wart supply's.
USB Cable
FTDI Cable - £3.39        
AVI Cable
4GB Flash Card - £6.49        

I added prices where I know them so you can decide if its worth it.
That is all I can recall, hopefully others will add to that list.

Cheers
Chris


On 19 May 2012 02:51, Chris McSweeny <cpmcsweenyspamspam_OUTgmail.com> wrote:
{Quote hidden}

>

2012\05\19@053243 by Chris McSweeny

picon face
On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Chris Roper <KILLspamcaroperKILLspamspamgmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think so.
> I just tried to go back in with my code to generate the list for you
> but it reports "Invalid Code".
> It is obviously a use once code.

Ah - but you've ordered one, so I'd expect it not to work any more.
Was wondering if it worked more than once before you placed an order.
Thanks for the help anyway - that's pretty much the info I was after.

Chri

2012\05\19@191216 by Chris McSweeny

picon face
On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Chris McSweeny <RemoveMEcpmcsweenyTakeThisOuTspamgmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Chris Roper <spamBeGonecaroperspamBeGonespamgmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't think so.
>> I just tried to go back in with my code to generate the list for you
>> but it reports "Invalid Code".
>> It is obviously a use once code.
>
> Ah - but you've ordered one, so I'd expect it not to work any more.
> Was wondering if it worked more than once before you placed an order.
> Thanks for the help anyway - that's pretty much the info I was after.

The answer for anybody else interested is that you can go back in, but
you have to wait a while for the basket to clear if you've added a
RPi. I just tried this as my order process timed out and I got kicked
out! Was just checking all the accessories they offered, but I do
actually have everything I need (except for a USB keyboard and an
HDMI/DVI cable, but those weren't on the list), and anyway the prices
are standard RS which aren't that great compared to elsewhere for
stuff like this.

Clearly I should have got myself in gear earlier, as they're now
quoting me 4 weeks to deliver - hadn't quite realised that it would
make a difference if I ordered on a Saturday rather than Friday
evening, when in theory I have a board reserved for me!

Chri


'[OT]:: Raspberry Pi - various'
2012\06\14@082126 by Chris McSweeny
picon face
Has anybody here ordered from RS and got a RPi delivered? Just
wondering as I got an email to notify me that mine was being
dispatched on Monday, yet the tracking still shows as Parcels advised:
1 Parcels collected: 0 - ie RS have set up a ParcelForce delivery for
it, but haven't actually given the RPi to PF for delivery. Is it
normal to be in this state for several days, or is it worth contacting
RS to ask what's going on? It seems strange to give me notification of
a pending delivery like this when there's no sign of them actually
dispatching.

Thanks,

Chri

2012\06\14@082218 by Chris McSweeny

picon face
On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Chris McSweeny <TakeThisOuTcpmcsweenyEraseMEspamspam_OUTgmail.com> wrote:
> Has anybody here ordered from RS and got a RPi delivered? Just
> wondering as I got an email to notify me that mine was being
> dispatched on Monday, yet the tracking still shows as Parcels advised:
> 1 Parcels collected: 0 - ie RS have set up a ParcelForce delivery for
> it, but haven't actually given the RPi to PF for delivery. Is it
> normal to be in this state for several days, or is it worth contacting
> RS to ask what's going on? It seems strange to give me notification of
> a pending delivery like this when there's no sign of them actually
> dispatching.

....especially when the delivery method is Express24 - nothing express
about the dispatch method

2012\06\14@084124 by Chris Roper

picon face
I got my notice on on Friday and it was in my hands in Cape Town,
South Africa on Tuesday morning.

June 08, 2012                
12:05

       Birmingham - UK                Shipment picked up
June 08, 2012                
12:33

       Birmingham - UK                Processed at Birmingham - UK
June 08, 2012                
19:40

       Birmingham - UK                Departed from DHL facility in Birmingham - UK
June 08, 2012                
20:49

       East Midlands - UK                Arrived at DHL facility in East Midlands - UK
June 08, 2012                
21:23

       East Midlands - UK                Processed at East Midlands - UK
June 08, 2012                
22:12

       East Midlands - UK                Departed from DHL facility in East Midlands - UK
June 09, 2012                
00:49

       London-Heathrow - UK                Arrived at DHL facility in London-Heathrow - UK
June 09, 2012                
05:07

       London-Heathrow - UK                Processed at London-Heathrow - UK
June 09, 2012                
05:13

       London-Heathrow - UK                Departed from DHL facility in London-Heathrow - UK
June 09, 2012                
06:01

       London-Heathrow - UK                Arrived at DHL facility in London-Heathrow - UK
June 09, 2012                
10:16

       London-Heathrow - UK                Processed at London-Heathrow - UK
June 09, 2012                
18:43

       London-Heathrow - UK                Departed from DHL facility in London-Heathrow - UK
June 10, 2012                
12:53

       Cape Town - South Africa                Arrived at DHL facility in Cape Town - South Africa
June 10, 2012                
13:24

       Cape Town - South Africa                Clearance processing complete at Cape
Town - South Africa
June 10, 2012                
13:32

       Cape Town - South Africa                Processed at Cape Town - South Africa
June 10, 2012                
17:41

       Cape Town - South Africa                Processed at Cape Town - South Africa
June 10, 2012                
17:41

       Cape Town - South Africa                Departed from DHL facility in Cape Town -
South Africa
June 10, 2012                
18:08

       Cape Town - South Africa                Arrived at DHL facility
June 11, 2012                
07:35

       Cape Town - South Africa                With delivery courier
June 11, 2012                
10:50

       Cape Town - South Africa                Shipment delivere

2012\06\14@093527 by Wouter van Ooijen

face picon face
On 14/6/2012 2:21 PM, Chris McSweeny wrote:
> Has anybody here ordered from RS and got a RPi delivered?

A student of mine showed it to me yesterday. man, it is small!

--
Wouter van Ooijen

-- -------------------------------------------
Van Ooijen Technische Informatica: http://www.voti.nl
consultancy, development, PICmicro products
docent Hogeschool van Utrecht: http://www.voti.nl/hvu
C++ on uC blog: http://www.voti.nl/erblog

2012\06\14@120731 by Chris McSweeny

picon face
On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Chris Roper <RemoveMEcaroperspamTakeThisOuTgmail.com> wrote:
> I got my notice on on Friday and it was in my hands in Cape Town,
> South Africa on Tuesday morning.

So it was dispatched the same day you got the "Your item is being
dispatched" notice?

I guess I'll hassle RS then.

Thanks,

Chri

2012\06\15@023650 by Vis Naicker

flavicon
face
>Chris Roper
>
>I got my notice on on Friday and it was in my hands in Cape Town,
>South Africa on Tuesday morning.
>
>June 08, 2012
>        Birmingham - UK                Shipment picked up
>        Birmingham - UK                Processed at Birmingham - UK
>        East Midlands - UK                Processed at East Midlands - UK
>        London-Heathrow - UK                Processed at London-Heathrow - UK
>        Cape Town - South Africa                Processed at Cape Town -
South Africa
>        Cape Town - South Africa                Arrived at DHL facility
>June 11, 2012

Mine seems to have had taken a rush European tour first
June 11, 2012
       Birmingham - UK                Processed at Birmingham - UK
       East Midlands - UK        Processed at East Midlands - UK
       Leipzig - Germany                Processed at Leipzig - Germany
         Brussels - Belgium        Processed at Brussels - Belgium
       Amsterdam - Netherlands, The                Processed at Amsterdam -
Netherlands, The
       Johannesburg - South Africa                Processed at Johannesburg -
South Africa
       Durban - South Africa                Arrived at DHL facility
June 14, 2012

Hope the model A comes out soon - although there seems to be nothing
concrete. Model B is a bit larger than I imagined, and is overkill for some
uses I have lined up.

2012\06\15@080051 by Chris McSweeny

picon face
On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 7:35 AM, Vis Naicker <visnEraseMEspam.....wbs.co.za> wrote:
> Hope the model A comes out soon - although there seems to be nothing
> concrete. Model B is a bit larger than I imagined, and is overkill for some
> uses I have lined up.

Though there's no difference in footprint or basic functionality
between the two - you just lose the ethernet port and have a single
rather than double USB. Is the slightly smaller size in one corner of
the board that big a deal

2012\06\19@173759 by RussellMc

face picon face
A Raspberry Pi was slipped unobtrusively and initially unobserved into my
courier cupboard sometime yesterday.
Thanks Farnement 14.

RS advise I should place an order based on my prior registration but the
link supplied leads me into new wildernesses.


            Russel

2012\06\19@174902 by Chris McSweeny

picon face
On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:37 PM, RussellMc <EraseMEapptechnzspamgmail.com> wrote:
> A Raspberry Pi was slipped unobtrusively and initially unobserved into my
> courier cupboard sometime yesterday.
> Thanks Farnement 14.
>
> RS advise I should place an order based on my prior registration but the
> link supplied leads me into new wildernesses.

Bah - sent RS another email today about my shipping notice for a
non-existent shipment, having got no reply to one I sent on Thursday.
This time I managed to make the subject title something they noticed,
so I got a reply. Apparently the original shipping email was a
mistake. Do you think it's a coincidence that the real shipping date
for mine is supposedly today?

Chri

2012\06\19@190422 by Chris Roper

picon face
It must have been a very interesting Subject line :)

On 19 June 2012 23:49, Chris McSweeny <RemoveMEcpmcsweenyEraseMEspamEraseMEgmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:37 PM, RussellMc <RemoveMEapptechnzspam_OUTspamKILLspamgmail.com> wrote:
>> A Raspberry Pi was slipped unobtrusively and initially unobserved into my
>> courier cupboard sometime yesterday.
>> Thanks Farnement 14.
>>
>> RS advise I should place an order based on my prior registration but the
>> link supplied leads me into new wildernesses.
>
> Bah - sent RS another email today about my shipping notice for a
> non-existent shipment, having got no reply to one I sent on Thursday.
> This time I managed to make the subject title something they noticed,
> so I got a reply. Apparently the original shipping email was a
> mistake. Do you think it's a coincidence that the real shipping date
> for mine is supposedly today?
>
> Chris
>


'[OT]:: Raspberry Pi - various'
2012\07\10@142419 by John Ferrell
face
flavicon
face
I was advised of a ship date 10/07/2012 today.
That is not a problem because I still don't know what to do with it. I hope the reports of people smarter than I taking two weeks or more to boot it are gone by then!

On 6/19/2012 5:37 PM, RussellMc wrote:
> A Raspberry Pi was slipped unobtrusively and initially unobserved into my
> courier cupboard sometime yesterday.
> Thanks Farnement 14.
>
> RS advise I should place an order based on my prior registration but the
> link supplied leads me into new wildernesses.
>
>
>               Russell

-- John Ferrell W8CCW
“During times of universal deceit,
  Telling the TRUTH becomes a revolutionary act”
     George Orwell


More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2012 , 2013 only
- Today
- New search...