Searching \ for '[OT:] Pseudo-Snipping?' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=pseudo+snipping
Search entire site for: 'Pseudo-Snipping?'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OT:] Pseudo-Snipping?'
2004\09\07@140034 by Dave VanHorn

flavicon
face

What's up with the "snip" thing that is now showing up in piclist posts?

When I reply, the whole thing is there, but when I'm viewing the message, large chunks of the message are hidden from me..  I've seen some where virtually everything in the message was hidden this way, and I had to do a reply to see anything useful.

_______________________________________________
http://www.piclist.com
View/change your membership options at
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

2004\09\07@143944 by Josh Koffman

face picon face
Dave, I don't know what email client you are using, but on Gmail, they
are doing something kind of interesting. Basically emails are arranged
into "conversations", basically a thread with matching subject lines.
Anyway, it seems to hide text that shows up in an earlier email,
essentially hiding the quoted parts of a reply. Sometimes, if a reply
gets to me before the original post (yes, it is possible), then the
original post has all the text hidden.

Now, I'm not saying that's what your client is doing, but perhaps it's
a possibility?

Josh
--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools.
       -Douglas Adams

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 13:00:52 -0500, Dave VanHorn <spam_OUTdvanhornTakeThisOuTspamdvanhorn.org> wrote:
>
> What's up with the "snip" thing that is now showing up in piclist posts?
>
> When I reply, the whole thing is there, but when I'm viewing the message, large chunks of the message are hidden from me..  I've seen some where virtually everything in the message was hidden this way, and I had to do a reply to see anything useful.
_______________________________________________
http://www.piclist.com
View/change your membership options at
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

2004\09\07@150416 by Dave VanHorn

flavicon
face

>
>Now, I'm not saying that's what your client is doing, but perhaps it's
>a possibility?

Eudora here, 6.2.  Something's happening on the client end, but it seems a little broken when it occasionally obscures the only real content in the message.


_______________________________________________
http://www.piclist.com
View/change your membership options at
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

2004\09\07@162353 by hilip Stortz

picon face
definitely a problem with your' email reader.  i know some have problems
with email that starts with a space (there was a version of exploiter
that missed all the text in that case).  i've been seeing everything
that hasn't been politely trimmed in responses (and i do appreciate
people trimming when they respond, especially when adding one sentence
to several paragraphs of other people's responses)  perhaps your
software thinks "SNIP" is a tag of some kind, in which case this should
confuse you nicely...

Dave VanHorn wrote:
>
> What's up with the "snip" thing that is now showing up in piclist posts?
>
> When I reply, the whole thing is there, but when I'm viewing the message, large chunks of the message are hidden from me..  I've seen some where virtually everything in the message was hidden this way, and I had to do a reply to see anything useful.
>
> _______________________________________________
> http://www.piclist.com
> View/change your membership options at
> http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

-- Philip Stortz--"In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I
didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a
Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I
wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a
Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up."
-- Martin Niemöller, 1892-1984 (German Lutheran Pastor), on the Nazi
Holocaust, Congressional Record 14th October 1968 p31636.

_______________________________________________
http://www.piclist.com
View/change your membership options at
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

2004\09\07@163620 by Dave VanHorn

flavicon
face
I don't think it knows "snip" exactly..
I'm only seeing/noticing this in piclist messages.

Here's how I saw that message:

From: Philip Stortz <.....madscientist.at.largeKILLspamspam@spam@earthlink.net>
To: "Microcontroller discussion list - Public." <piclistspamKILLspammit.edu>
Subject: Re: [OT:] Pseudo-Snipping?

definitely a problem with your' email reader.  i know some have problems
with email that starts with a space (there was a version of exploiter
that missed all the text in that case).  i've been seeing everything
that hasn't been politely trimmed in responses (and i do appreciate
people trimming when they respond, especially when adding one sentence
to several paragraphs of other people's responses)  perhaps your
software thinks "SNIP" is a tag of some kind, in which case this should
confuse you nicely...

Dave VanHorn wrote:
> What's up with the "snip" thing that is now showing up in piclist posts?
>
> When I reply, the whole thing is there, but when ...
...snip...
> http://www.piclist.com
> View/change your membership options at
> http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

And when I click to reply to you, I get this:

At 03:25 PM 9/7/2004, Philip Stortz wrote:

{Quote hidden}

_______________________________________________
http://www.piclist.com
View/change your membership options at
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

2004\09\07@170039 by hilip Stortz

picon face
very odd.  since it's only occurring on this list, it sounds like some
kind of "rule" or "preference" is involved.  might i ask, what domain is
your' mail being sent from (or is this coming from a server and not
going through an isp?).  it sounds like something aol would do to save
bandwidth, except that the whole message appears to be in the email
client (or it would have a hard time quoting it), which means it pretty
well must be your' email client.  in that case, what client and what os
would be the logical questions.

Dave VanHorn wrote:
>
> I don't think it knows "snip" exactly..
> I'm only seeing/noticing this in piclist messages.
>
> Here's how I saw that message:
-------

-- Philip Stortz--"In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I
didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a
Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I
wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a
Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up."
-- Martin Niemöller, 1892-1984 (German Lutheran Pastor), on the Nazi
Holocaust, Congressional Record 14th October 1968 p31636.

_______________________________________________
http://www.piclist.com
View/change your membership options at
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

2004\09\07@174252 by Dave VanHorn

flavicon
face
At 04:02 PM 9/7/2004, Philip Stortz wrote:

>very odd.  since it's only occurring on this list, it sounds like some
>kind of "rule" or "preference" is involved.  might i ask, what domain is
>your' mail being sent from (or is this coming from a server and not
>going through an isp?).  it sounds like something aol would do to save
>bandwidth, except that the whole message appears to be in the email
>client (or it would have a hard time quoting it), which means it pretty
>well must be your' email client.  in that case, what client and what os
>would be the logical questions.

No AOL involved, I get it though my own domain.
I'm running XP pro, second try, with Eudora 6.2

_______________________________________________
http://www.piclist.com
View/change your membership options at
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2004 , 2005 only
- Today
- New search...