Searching \ for '[EE] whats you favourite magazine for embedded sys' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=whats+you+favourite
Search entire site for: 'whats you favourite magazine for embedded sys'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE] whats you favourite magazine for embedded sys'
2006\04\26@065807 by Gökhan SEVER

picon face
Hi,

I was wondering which magazine do you read mostly for fresh design ideas?

Circuit Cellar,
Elektor
Everyday practical Electronics,
Electronics World,
Embedded System Design,
Nuts & Volts,
Silicon Chip or others?

All of the suggestions are very appreciated..

Gökhan SEVER.

2006\04\26@075229 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On 4/26/06, Gökhan SEVER <spam_OUTgstr2005TakeThisOuTspamgmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering which magazine do you read mostly for fresh design ideas?
>
> Circuit Cellar,
> Elektor
> Everyday practical Electronics,
> Electronics World,
> Embedded System Design,
> Nuts & Volts,
> Silicon Chip or others?
>

I read none of the above but I read some free magazines like EDN Asia.

http://www.reed-electronics.com/ has lots of magzines.

Mostly I read EEtime.com and CNet.com for EE and IT news respectively.
Google also helps a lot when I need to search for some design ideas.
Maybe PIClist members will help you as well if you have an interesting
topics.

For more advanced journals, then IEEE has many magazines. IEEE
Explore will give you access to the magazines you subscribe as well.
Some organizations have subscription to IEEE Explore access.

Regards,
Xiaofan

2006\04\26@080828 by Daniel Dourneau

flavicon
face
Circuit Cellar, ever since the very first issue.
>From time to time I check some of the others that you have listed, but
comparison remains difficult.
I stick with Circuit Cellar


Quoting Gökhan SEVER <.....gstr2005KILLspamspam@spam@gmail.com>:

{Quote hidden}

>

2006\04\26@081043 by kravnus wolf

picon face
circuit cellar for advance designs
epe is good for simpler designs.

john

--- Gökhan SEVER <gstr2005spamKILLspamgmail.com> wrote:

{Quote hidden}

> -

2006\04\26@082506 by Gökhan SEVER

picon face
>
> Mostly I read EEtime.com and CNet.com for EE and IT news respectively.

..

For more advanced journals, then IEEE has many magazines. IEEE
> Explore will give you access to the magazines you subscribe as well.
> Some organizations have subscription to IEEE Explore access.
>
>
I'm a graduate EE student, have been reading some general IEEE magazines
besides detailed ones. Such as IEEE Potential, Spectrum and a bit techinal
"Proceedings". But now i have a part time job. We mostly design luminarie
products. Usually for decorative purposes. However we're planning to
undertake for more complex projects. Such as, traffic signalization systems,
billboards, computer controlled stage lights etc...

So, i have to say that i like practical side of embedded design much from
theoretical side. I have to dig some on these magazines for design ideas.

I've examined Circuit Cellar's web page and seen there are many interesting
topic related to my job field. Also noticed that there is author named "Jeff
Bachiochi" whom has been writing since the first issue of this magazine.
His article publishing experience is almost equal to my age :)

2006\04\26@084159 by Gökhan SEVER

picon face
While i was composing my previous reply, i have seen 2 more replies besides
Xiaofa Chen's reply.

I like the style of this mailing list.

Experienced engineers talk to newbie engineers for freely (its a place that
rarely found on earth ;) and where i like to spend my time)

Gökhan SEVER..

2006\04\26@094154 by Tim N9PUZ

picon face
Gökhan SEVER wrote:

> I've examined Circuit Cellar's web page and seen there are many interesting
> topic related to my job field. Also noticed that there is author named "Jeff
> Bachiochi" whom has been writing since the first issue of this magazine.
> His article publishing experience is almost equal to my age :)

I believe Jeff's contributions pre-date Circuit Cellar. I think he was
with us in the research staff back in the Ask BYTE days of BYTE Magazine.

Tim

2006\04\26@095527 by Josh Koffman

face picon face
On 4/26/06, Gökhan SEVER <.....gstr2005KILLspamspam.....gmail.com> wrote:
> I've examined Circuit Cellar's web page and seen there are many interesting
> topic related to my job field. Also noticed that there is author named "Jeff
> Bachiochi" whom has been writing since the first issue of this magazine.
> His article publishing experience is almost equal to my age :)

While I'm not currently a subscriber (I was, but didn't have enough
time to read the magazines), I have a lot of respect for Circuit
Cellar. Steve Circia's Circuit Cellar books were a huge influence on
me when I was younger. I think it's great that in a world where
magazines seem to be dropping in favour of the internet that Circuit
Cellar still seems to be going strong.

Josh
--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools.
       -Douglas Adams

2006\04\26@095649 by David VanHorn

picon face
>
>
> I believe Jeff's contributions pre-date Circuit Cellar. I think he was
> with us in the research staff back in the Ask BYTE days of BYTE Magazine.


I quit buying byte when they dropped the circuit cellar.

--
> Feel the power of the dark side!  Atmel AVR

2006\04\26@095734 by Gökhan SEVER

picon face
>
> I believe Jeff's contributions pre-date Circuit Cellar. I think he was
> with us in the research staff back in the Ask BYTE days of BYTE Magazine.


Probably that had happaned when i was a vitamine in an orange ;)

2006\04\26@101817 by Tim N9PUZ

picon face
David VanHorn wrote:

> I quit buying byte when they dropped the circuit cellar.

Blame McGraw-Hill's legal staff. Of course, that did push Steve into
the publishing business and there's a whole magazine now.

Tim

2006\04\26@103103 by David VanHorn

picon face
>
>
> Blame McGraw-Hill's legal staff. Of course, that did push Steve into
> the publishing business and there's a whole magazine now.


Is byte still around?

Feel the power of the dark side!  Atmel AVR

2006\04\26@103133 by John Ferrell

face picon face
Circuit Cellar Ink, most issues from the beginning.
I especially like the internet delivery which has kept costs down.

I would subscribe to Elektor if the cost was the same.


John Ferrell
http://DixieNC.US


{Original Message removed}

2006\04\26@105002 by Wouter van Ooijen

face picon face
>> I quit buying byte when they dropped the circuit cellar.

> Blame McGraw-Hill's legal staff.

I still wonder why Byte, once a leading magazine (*the* maganize) on
computers and related electronics transformed itself into a me-too type
of computer magazine (aimed at managers instead of techies), and (of
course) lost its readers and had to quit. Was the old format unfit for
the new times? Or did some manager think this was a smart move?

As a boy I read, read and re-read the old bytes, with articles like
Steve's PC clone (full schematics!), Jerry's adventures with TRS80
memory expansion units, and in-depth articles about memory management on
the Mac (remember, double-indirection instead of a memory management
unit). CC still has a compareable level on the electronics side, drDobbs
kept the flag on the software side for some time (but has IMHO also
turned bad).

Wouter van Ooijen

-- -------------------------------------------
Van Ooijen Technische Informatica: http://www.voti.nl
consultancy, development, PICmicro products
docent Hogeschool van Utrecht: http://www.voti.nl/hvu


2006\04\26@105634 by Paul Hutchinson

picon face
Embedded System Design is my favorite, their regular contributors Ganssle,
Saks, Murphy, Crenshaw and others are excellent. The CD-ROM archive of past
issues that they sell is worth its weight in gold.

I also read EE Times, Conformity, Compliance Engineering, NASA Tech Briefs,
Sensors and, Desktop Engineering.

All are available free to qualified subscribers.

Paul

{Quote hidden}

2006\04\26@110222 by Dave Tweed

face
flavicon
face
Josh Koffman <joshybearspamspam_OUTgmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/26/06, G=F6khan SEVER <@spam@gstr2005KILLspamspamgmail.com> wrote:
> > I've examined Circuit Cellar's web page and seen there are many
> > interesting topic related to my job field. Also noticed that there is
> > author named "Jeff Bachiochi" whom has been writing since the first
> > issue of this magazine. His article publishing experience is almost
> > equal to my age :)

Actually, Jeff did not have anything in issues 1-4. But he's been on the
Circuit Cellar staff from the beginning.

I think the only authors who have something in *every* issue are Steve
and Tom Cantrell.

> While I'm not currently a subscriber (I was, but didn't have enough
> time to read the magazines), I have a lot of respect for Circuit
> Cellar. Steve Circia's Circuit Cellar books were a huge influence on
> me when I was younger. I think it's great that in a world where
> magazines seem to be dropping in favour of the internet that Circuit
> Cellar still seems to be going strong.

I've been directly involved with Circuit Cellar since late 1999. I have two
primary responsibilities. First, I'm one of about 3-4 people who review
article proposals as they come in, to evaluate them for suitability to our
overall theme of applications of embedded computers. Second, I review all
of the article proofs for technical glitches right before they go to the
printer. It's been a very interesting experience, and I've been exposed
(as all of our readers have been) to many new technologies and techniques.

We're aimed at an audience of advanced hobbyists and working engineers,
which obviously describes most of the members of this list, and we try
not to be just a "projects" magazine. Instead, we try to have articles
that teach a more general lesson about a technology or a technique that
the reader can use in his own projects.

Also, I have an index to the magazine on my own website, which gives a
little more detail than the one on the Circuit Cellar website. Check it
out at http://www.dtweed.com/circuitcellar/

-- Dave Tweed
  Circuit Cellar editor

2006\04\26@111118 by John Pfaff

picon face
I loved Byte.  I can remember typing in "Hunt the Wumpus" from a listing
in Byte onto my TRS-80.  Boy I feel old.


Wouter van Ooijen wrote:
{Quote hidden}

2006\04\26@112017 by Gökhan SEVER

picon face
EETimes is very active magazine among others, i track it via FeedDemon for
its daily rss news. Usually it has 25 titles for daily news, (which is quit
a lot me.)

Also, it seems that EDN (Electronic Design News) has strong author staff...

I think, Embedded Magazine is on a higher stage for the novice engineers..

2006/4/26, Paul Hutchinson <KILLspampaullhutchinsonKILLspamspamyahoo.com>:
{Quote hidden}

2006\04\26@113523 by Gökhan SEVER

picon face
2006/4/26, Dave Tweed <RemoveMEpicTakeThisOuTspamdtweed.com>:
>
>
> Actually, Jeff did not have anything in issues 1-4. But he's been on the
> Circuit Cellar staff from the beginning.
>
> I think the only authors who have something in *every* issue are Steve
> and Tom Cantrell.



On your CC index page i have seen that Tom Cantrell ranked first for
published article number.

Top 3 ranked:

*Cantrell, Tom <http://www.dtweed.com/circuitcellar/xcantre1.htm>* - 229
articles, January/February 1988 through May 2006
*Ciarcia, Steve <http://www.dtweed.com/circuitcellar/xciarci1.htm>* - 216
articles, January/February 1988 through May 2006
*Bachiochi, Jeff <http://www.dtweed.com/circuitcellar/xbachioc.htm>* - 216
articles, September/October 1988 through May 2006
*Davidson, Ken <http://www.dtweed.com/circuitcellar/xdavidso.htm>* - 172
articles, January/February 1988 through August 1998

How a stability! But my votes are for BAH-key-AH-key...

2006\04\26@113559 by Dave Lag

picon face

Josh Koffman wrote:
>
> While I'm not currently a subscriber (I was, but didn't have enough
> time to read the magazines), I have a lot of respect for Circuit
> Cellar. Steve Circia's Circuit Cellar books were a huge influence on
> me when I was younger. I think it's great that in a world where
> magazines seem to be dropping in favour of the internet that Circuit
> Cellar still seems to be going strong.
>
> Josh

The direction they have taken with the format(s) and price of electronic
copy help to a great extent.(IMHO)

(The Atmel subscription subsidy didn't hurt either)
;)

I liked the old nuts 'n volts, now lean toward euro mags EPE and Elector
Dave

2006\04\26@113822 by Mark Samuels

picon face
Jeff is actually a registered PIC consultant, too.  I've run into him at a
few of the MASTERS over the last few years.

{Original Message removed}

2006\04\26@120110 by Herbert Graf

flavicon
face

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 13:58 +0300, Gökhan SEVER wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering which magazine do you read mostly for fresh design ideas?
>
> Circuit Cellar,
> Elektor
> Everyday practical Electronics,
> Electronics World,
> Embedded System Design,
> Nuts & Volts,
> Silicon Chip or others?

Circuit Cellar and Nuts & Volts.

I can't really say which I prefer, Circuit Cellar seems to have more
practical projects, but Nuts & Volts sometimes has more interesting
projects.

TTYL

2006\04\26@120230 by Alan B. Pearce

face picon face
>drDobbs kept the flag on the software side for some
>time (but has IMHO also turned bad).

well, not sure it has turned bad, but has certainly gone to content that
requires a professional rather than the experimenter to understand it.

2006\04\26@120719 by Nate Duehr

face
flavicon
face
John Pfaff wrote:
> I loved Byte.  I can remember typing in "Hunt the Wumpus" from a listing
> in Byte onto my TRS-80.  Boy I feel old.

Ditto.  Yikes.

Nate

2006\04\26@121122 by Walter Banks

picon face
Byte had matured about as much as it could. Virginia wanted to cash in her
investment and not need to work the kind of hours she had for the
previous 4 and 1/2 years. Byte was sold to McGraw Hill whose
expertise was business magazines and moved out of the Peterborough
Guernsey Cattle building. Most of the Byte staffers we in NH for the
life style and would rather stay. That meant they would stay. There are
about 50 publishing houses around Peterborough look at some of the
old Byte mast heads and current publishing house and you will see
some familiar names.

There is an old publishing saying that says the whole company
leaves at 5 o'clock (actually more like midnight)

Personal computing had moved on. It was no longer important to
hack a tape recorder to store programs, publish yet another decimal
to hex program in machine readable barcode format.

The early days of Byte were heady times.

w..


Wouter van Ooijen wrote:

> I still wonder why Byte, once a leading magazine (*the* maganize) on
> computers and related electronics transformed itself into a me-too type
> of computer magazine (aimed at managers instead of techies), and (of
> course) lost its readers and had to quit. Was the old format unfit for
> the new times? Or did some manager think this was a smart move?

2006\04\26@140153 by Wouter van Ooijen

face picon face
> >drDobbs kept the flag on the software side for some
> >time (but has IMHO also turned bad).
>
> well, not sure it has turned bad, but has certainly gone to
> content that
> requires a professional rather than the experimenter to understand it.

Well, it has been a few years since I read much, but I would say that it
has gone from content that an experimeter likes to content that requires
a professional to identify it as non-interesting.

Wouter van Ooijen

-- -------------------------------------------
Van Ooijen Technische Informatica: http://www.voti.nl
consultancy, development, PICmicro products
docent Hogeschool van Utrecht: http://www.voti.nl/hvu


2006\04\26@152311 by Daniel Dourneau

flavicon
face
This is a long story...
Byte was started by Wayne Green (yes the same who was also editor of
73 Magazine)
To cut some episodes, a few months later the magazine was taken over
by Carl Helmers and went great guns until Mac Graw Hill became the
owner. From that point it was downhill all the way. It became just
another magazine full of adds with a few reviews that you can now
find free of charge on the internet.
After that episode Byte was bought by CPM (or CMP ???) and just
became rubbish and one day just disappeared. At that time I was still
a "faithful" or more likely "foolish" subscriber and it took me the
whole of one year to get my money back!
After that there was a web edition, I do not know if it still exists
or not but you can check "byte.com"
Wayne said he was going to write the story, one day or another, but I
do not know if he ever got round to it.
At the latter part of the life of Byte favorites were Circuit Cellar
and Chaos Manor.
I still have the full collection in the attic.

I started with Circuit Cellar from number one, and I must say that
the spirit of the magazine remained the same from day one

At 16:49 26/04/2006, you wrote:
{Quote hidden}

>

2006\04\26@155457 by Charles Craft

picon face
Do you work?!?!?!

My butt falls asleep just trying to keep up with Circuit Cellar and Nuts&Volts in the "library" at home.


{Original Message removed}

2006\04\26@172009 by Picdude

flavicon
face
> -------- Original Message --------
> From: Herbert Graf <spamBeGonemailinglist2spamBeGonespamfarcite.net>
>
> Circuit Cellar and Nuts & Volts.
>
> I can't really say which I prefer, Circuit Cellar seems to have more
> practical projects, but Nuts & Volts sometimes has more interesting
> projects.


Same 2 here, but I see N&V as more of a hobbyists magazine with projects and rudimentary tutorials, and CC as a more professional magazine, that has more complicated concepts and projects.  I also like Sensors, EDN and Electronics Products.  Mostly, I don't have time to read the industry-news type articles, so I read more of the tech type articles.

Silicon Chip seems interesting, but I'm not sure if it's worth $56 for an online-only subscription, and I really prefer hard-copy versions.

Cheers,
-Neil.



2006\04\26@185841 by Philip Pemberton

face picon face
Gökhan SEVER wrote:
> I was wondering which magazine do you read mostly for fresh design ideas?

I subscribe to EPE, Elektor and Circuit Cellar (online edition). I'm
going off EPE a bit now - 80% of their content seems to be imported from
Silicon Chip magazine and I really don't rate any of it. Just the usual
"take a 555 and call it a siren, then next month republish the same
design and call it a sound generator" stuff...

--
Phil.
TakeThisOuTphilpemEraseMEspamspam_OUTdsl.pipex.com
http://www.philpem.me.uk/

2006\04\26@213045 by kravnus wolf

picon face
Most of the hobbist magazines are like this.......
Just renaming the projects. I do find it very annoying
at times when they have this LONG running article of
MORE advance topics like PIC programming.

john

--- Philip Pemberton <RemoveMEphilpemspamTakeThisOuTdsl.pipex.com> wrote:

{Quote hidden}

> -

2006\04\27@092414 by Howard Winter

face
flavicon
picon face
Phil,

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 23:58:36 +0100, Philip Pemberton wrote:

> I subscribe to EPE, Elektor and Circuit Cellar (online edition). I'm
> going off EPE a bit now - 80% of their content seems to be imported from
> Silicon Chip magazine and I really don't rate any of it. Just the usual
> "take a 555 and call it a siren, then next month republish the same
> design and call it a sound generator" stuff...

I agree - I really don't like their latest makeover - it's now much more presentation and less content!  I am
considering letting my subscription expire, which means I won't be getting any magazines except the electronic
Circuit Cellar.

As you say, they are importing projects, and IMHO making a pretty bad job of it.  A mains project that uses
Australian plugs and sockets, with no mention of the fact that a larger case would be needed (let alone where
to get suitable UK sockets) was a recent example.  The removal of the "approximate cost" on projects is a
major step backwards (when I was a kid it was really disappointing to start collecting parts for a magazine
project, only to find that some component was either made of unobtainium, or cost a whole year's pocket
money!).  

And their lame excuse for removing "Shop Talk", which told you where you could get the almost-unheard-of
components that some contributor had found in their junk box and made a vital part of the project, was little
short of damned lies!  ("Since most people shop online these days, it's not needed any more"!)

I feel an "Angry of Mayfair" letter in the offing...  :-)

Cheers,


Howard Winter
St.Albans, England


2006\04\27@143138 by alan smith

picon face
EDN, EE Times, Embedded System  Design, Electronic Products,electronic design,ECN IAN
 
 Now, 99.99% of these are not designed for building projects.  INK/Circuit Cellar is a hybrid in my mind, combining excellent electronics with a mix of new stuff with a mix of projects.  I wish I had time for projects.
 
 Most of the above trade rags sit on my desk for weeks...till I run thru them for interesting articles...tear out...pile....review again...toss....read...file....toss....and as mentioned can be subsribed for free for the proper creditials.

               
---------------------------------
New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC and save big.

2006\04\27@192514 by Philip Pemberton

face picon face
In message <EraseME200604271324.k3RDOEKC024628spampacific-carrier-annex.mit.edu>>          "Howard Winter" <RemoveMEHDRWEraseMEspamEraseMEH2Org.demon.co.uk> wrote:

(EPE 'makeover')

> I agree - I really don't like their latest makeover - it's now much more
> presentation and less content!  I am
> considering letting my subscription expire, which means I won't be getting
> any magazines except the electronic
> Circuit Cellar.

Same here. I now find myself reading Elektor and CCI more and EPE *a lot*
less. The little "computer-switched powerstrip" thing in Elektor last year
(IIRC, can't be bothered firing up the archive software to check) looked
pretty interesting as a building-block. I'm planning to build something
similar for my networking gear - a 5A 5V + 2A 12V (about 50W) DC power supply
for the hub, NSLU2 and WiFi adapter, and a few switched mains sockets for the
PCs. Add an Ethernet interface and some form of failover switching that would
allow me to use it as a primitive UPS, then graft on a solar panel or three,
and a car cigarette-lighter socket and "in car charger" for my laptop...
Hmm... Uninterruptable power supply for my network :)

I've also got a "smart" NiMH charger design on my to-do list. One of these
days...

> As you say, they are importing projects, and IMHO making a pretty bad job
> of it.  A mains project that uses
> Australian plugs and sockets, with no mention of the fact that a larger
> case would be needed (let alone where
> to get suitable UK sockets) was a recent example.

Hmm, didn't see that one.

> The removal of the
> "approximate cost" on projects is a
> major step backwards (when I was a kid it was really disappointing to start
> collecting parts for a magazine
> project, only to find that some component was either made of unobtainium,
> or cost a whole year's pocket
> money!).  

That's one of the things that really annoys mea about Elektor. I was going to
build one of their USB sound cards a while back, but the PCM2902 CODEC is
(or at least was, Farnell are stocking it now) a bit hard to find on this
side of the pond.

> And their lame excuse for removing "Shop Talk", which told you where you
> could get the almost-unheard-of
> components that some contributor had found in their junk box and made a
> vital part of the project, was little
> short of damned lies!  ("Since most people shop online these days, it's not
> needed any more"!)

Yet more reasons to ditch EPE...

They've also stopped taking freelance article submissions, and John Becker
(EPE Technical Editor and the source of most of EPE's PIC projects) has
retired. I suspect the quality of the stuff in the magazine is going to go
WAY down over the next year or so...

My subscription's due in March IIRC, and I'm not going to cancel mid-way... I
might let it lapse when it's up for renewal though. I've had more use out of
my Elektor and CCI subscriptions (I'm subscribed on the Elektor "Plus"
scheme, i.e. I get an article CD every year - the UI is crap, but the
articles are in unprotected PDF files).

> I feel an "Angry of Mayfair" letter in the offing...  :-)

You actually think EPE would publish it if you wrote one and sent it to them?
:)

--
Phil.                         | Kitsune: Acorn RiscPC SA202 64M+6G ViewFinder
RemoveMEphilpemspam_OUTspamKILLspamdsl.pipex.com         | Cheetah: Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxeV2 512M+100G
http://www.philpem.me.uk/     | Tiger: Toshiba SatPro4600 Celeron700 256M+40G

2006\04\28@093433 by Dave Lag

picon face
Philip Pemberton wrote:

> That's one of the things that really annoys mea about Elektor. I was going to
> build one of their USB sound cards a while back, but the PCM2902 CODEC is
> (or at least was, Farnell are stocking it now) a bit hard to find on this
> side of the pond.

Can't even find Elector here, in a city with a population rank in the
top 10 (NA) it is carried in all of 4 bookstores.

> They've also stopped taking freelance article submissions, and John Becker
> (EPE Technical Editor and the source of most of EPE's PIC projects) has
> retired.

Is/was ill IIRC

> You actually think EPE would publish it if you wrote one and sent it to them?
> :)

I wrote a nasty email to elector complaining about about a project's
paper thin traces when there was no good reason for it - anti DIY.
Editor wrote back all hurt....

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2006 , 2007 only
- Today
- New search...