Searching \ for '[EE] LM317LCPW -- output pins not connected intern' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/ios.htm?key=output
Search entire site for: 'LM317LCPW -- output pins not connected intern'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE] LM317LCPW -- output pins not connected intern'
2010\04\07@134027 by Vitaliy

face
flavicon
face
TI confirmed that there is a problem with the device or the datasheet.

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm317l.pdf

Our engineer: "The data-sheet for the LM317LCPWR specifies that all outputs
are internally connected. However, when we built a prototype using this part
only one pin was actually an output. Can you explain this discrepancy?"

TI support: "The PW package only has pin 6 connected as a ground pin. This
issue will be corrected; either the data sheet or future product will be
change to match the other. I do not know which at this time. It is
recommended that the circuit board short pins 2, 3, 6, & 7.  If this is not
practical, use pin 6 as a ground. Do not connect pins 2, 3, 7 to any voltage
other than that on pin 6."

Note: pin 6 is "OUTPUT", I assume the TI rep misspoke.

Best regards,

Vitaliy Maksimov
ScanTool.net, LLC
+1 623 582-2366
http://www.scantool.net

2010\04\07@140016 by Mark Rages

face picon face
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Vitaliy <spam_OUTpiclistTakeThisOuTspammaksimov.org> wrote:
> TI confirmed that there is a problem with the device or the datasheet.
>
> http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm317l.pdf
>
> Our engineer: "The data-sheet for the LM317LCPWR specifies that all outputs
> are internally connected. However, when we built a prototype using this part
> only one pin was actually an output. Can you explain this discrepancy?"
>
> TI support: "The PW package only has pin 6 connected as a ground pin. This
> issue will be corrected; either the data sheet or future product will be
> change to match the other. I do not know which at this time. It is
> recommended that the circuit board short pins 2, 3, 6, & 7.  If this is not
> practical, use pin 6 as a ground. Do not connect pins 2, 3, 7 to any voltage
> other than that on pin 6."
>

The National and Moto datasheets show 2,3,6 & 7 as connected to
output, so TI needs to change their circuit if they want to make a
"normal" lm317l.

I would expect the lack of connections to affect the junction-ambient
thermal impedance, something to watch for if you are pushing the
thermal limits.

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail
--
Mark Rages, Engineer
Midwest Telecine LLC
.....markragesKILLspamspam@spam@midwesttelecine.com

2010\04\07@141005 by Vitaliy

face
flavicon
face
Luckily, we are not pushing the thermal limits in this design. TI just
confirmed that they will be changing the device to match the datasheet.

There were a couple of bugs in the proto besides this one, so I'm not too
upset about having to do another respin. Nowadays, with designs becoming
increasingly complex, we rarely go to production with Rev A.


{Original Message removed}

2010\04\07@144828 by Mark Rages

face picon face
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Vitaliy <piclistspamKILLspammaksimov.org> wrote:
> Luckily, we are not pushing the thermal limits in this design. TI just
> confirmed that they will be changing the device to match the datasheet.
>
> There were a couple of bugs in the proto besides this one, so I'm not too
> upset about having to do another respin. Nowadays, with designs becoming
> increasingly complex, we rarely go to production with Rev A.
>

If this was the only issue, you could switch to another manufacturer
of LM317L.  Seems like everybody makes one, and TI seems to be having
supply problems right now, as the economic recovery took them by
surprise.

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail
--
Mark Rages, Engineer
Midwest Telecine LLC
.....markragesKILLspamspam.....midwesttelecine.com

2010\04\07@152627 by Vitaliy

face
flavicon
face
Mark Rages wrote:
>> Luckily, we are not pushing the thermal limits in this design. TI just
>> confirmed that they will be changing the device to match the datasheet.
>>
>> There were a couple of bugs in the proto besides this one, so I'm not too
>> upset about having to do another respin. Nowadays, with designs becoming
>> increasingly complex, we rarely go to production with Rev A.
>>
>
> If this was the only issue, you could switch to another manufacturer
> of LM317L.

Who else makes the LM317L in TSSOP?


> Seems like everybody makes one, and TI seems to be having
> supply problems right now, as the economic recovery took them by
> surprise.

Thank you for pointing it out. Mouser and Digikey have 7 month lead times on
this part.

FWIW, I don't blame TI. IMO this is a phony recovery and the crisis that's
coming within the next couple of years will make 2008 seem like a walk in
the park. Companies that are lean and mean and have enough cash (preferably
not the paper kind) will be the ones to survive.

Vitaliy

2010\04\07@155958 by Mark Rages

face picon face
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Vitaliy <EraseMEpiclistspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTmaksimov.org> wrote:
> Mark Rages wrote:
>>> Luckily, we are not pushing the thermal limits in this design. TI just
>>> confirmed that they will be changing the device to match the datasheet.
>>>
>>> There were a couple of bugs in the proto besides this one, so I'm not too
>>> upset about having to do another respin. Nowadays, with designs becoming
>>> increasingly complex, we rarely go to production with Rev A.
>>>
>>
>> If this was the only issue, you could switch to another manufacturer
>> of LM317L.
>
> Who else makes the LM317L in TSSOP?
>

Ah, only TI.  If you have room, consider a more widely-available package.

>
>> Seems like everybody makes one, and TI seems to be having
>> supply problems right now, as the economic recovery took them by
>> surprise.
>
> Thank you for pointing it out. Mouser and Digikey have 7 month lead times on
> this part.

Mouser has 1900 pieces in tube (not reel).

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail
--
Mark Rages, Engineer
Midwest Telecine LLC
markragesspamspam_OUTmidwesttelecine.com

2010\04\07@161547 by Vitaliy

face
flavicon
face
Mark Rages wrote:
>> Who else makes the LM317L in TSSOP?
>>
>
> Ah, only TI.  If you have room, consider a more widely-available package.

Yeah, we already looked at using a different package. Trouble is, they're
all bigger and would necessitate a major redesign of the PCB.


>>> Seems like everybody makes one, and TI seems to be having
>>> supply problems right now, as the economic recovery took them by
>>> surprise.
>>
>> Thank you for pointing it out. Mouser and Digikey have 7 month lead times
>> on
>> this part.
>
> Mouser has 1900 pieces in tube (not reel).

Not anymore. :) I don't know why the website still shows them in stock, but
we bought their entire inventory earlier today.

Vitaliy

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2010 , 2011 only
- Today
- New search...