Searching \ for '[EE] LANC, SIRCS, S-LINK or USB? .. was: Remote' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=remote
Search entire site for: 'LANC, SIRCS, S-LINK or USB? .. was: Remote'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE] LANC, SIRCS, S-LINK or USB? .. was: Remote'
2006\12\31@180529 by Josh Koffman

face picon face
On 12/31/06, Debbie <spam_OUTcyberia429-piclistTakeThisOuTspamyahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Crikey! That's way cool. So, it //is// do-able after all, eh? Hmmm. Things have
> moved on a bit since I looked at the windowed 16c745(?) USB chip. That didn't
> look all too do-able at all.
>
> What would people recommend v/v expting with low-speed (I guess?) USB on a PIC.
> Somehow I don't think you could do it on protoboard, as has been my custom.
>
> Just d'loaded the specs for  ...
>
> PIC18F2450/4450 Data Sheet
>
> "UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS (USB)
> Devices in the PIC18F2450/4450 family incorporate a
> fully featured Universal Serial Bus communications
> module that ..."
>
> Sounds promising - it's flash programmable and that's a big plus in my book. Is
> the PICDEM USB board totally essential for prototyping, would you say?

I did a project using the 18f2550 - it was pretty cool. However I
don't think this is what you're looking for here. PICs are not USB
hosts which means they cannot initiate a connection with another
client device such as a digital camera. There are SPI -> USB host
interfaces though I believe, you might want to look into them.

Josh
--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools.
       -Douglas Adams

2006\12\31@224650 by Steve Ravet

flavicon
face


> >
> > Sounds promising - it's flash programmable and that's a big
> plus in my
> > book. Is the PICDEM USB board totally essential for
> prototyping, would you say?

I missed the beginning of the thread.  If you're wanting to prototype a
USB slave the FSUSB is a handy thing to have on hand, especially if,
like me, you're new to PICs, to designing PCBs, and to USB.  The PIC
pins are brought to headers so you could prototype some peripheral logic
with it prior to designing a PCB if you want.  If nothing else the FSUSB
schematic is handy as a reference for the USB  connections, you can
download it without getting the board.

--steve



'[EE] LANC, SIRCS, S-LINK or USB? .. was: Remote'
2007\01\01@153601 by Debbie
flavicon
face

--- Josh Koffman <.....joshybearKILLspamspam@spam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I did a project using the 18f2550 - it was pretty cool. However I
> don't think this is what you're looking for here. PICs are not USB
> hosts which means they cannot initiate a connection with another
> client device such as a digital camera. There are SPI -> USB host
> interfaces though I believe, you might want to look into them.
>
> Josh

Uh oh, that'd be a point! Slave --> slave is a no-no in USB. Then how are they
using a processor to fire a camera by US in that aeroplane camera? -->
http://www.blip.com.au

You'd go for LANC everytime  except I haven't seen any dig cams that actually
have a LANC socket.
Debbie

Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

2007\01\01@154721 by peter green

flavicon
face

> > I did a project using the 18f2550 - it was pretty cool. However I
> > don't think this is what you're looking for here. PICs are not USB
> > hosts which means they cannot initiate a connection with another
> > client device such as a digital camera. There are SPI -> USB host
> > interfaces though I believe, you might want to look into them.
> >
> > Josh
>
> Uh oh, that'd be a point! Slave --> slave is a no-no in USB. Then
> how are they
> using a processor to fire a camera by US in that aeroplane camera? -->
> http://www.blip.com.au
my guess is they are using a processor other than a pic, i belive cypress semiconductor have some microcontrollers with usb host capability (though i've no idea how easy they are to program).



2007\01\01@223304 by Steve Ravet

flavicon
face
> > I did a project using the 18f2550 - it was pretty cool. However I
> > don't think this is what you're looking for here. PICs are not USB
> > hosts which means they cannot initiate a connection with another
> > client device such as a digital camera. There are SPI -> USB host
> > interfaces though I believe, you might want to look into them.
> >
> > Josh
>
> Uh oh, that'd be a point! Slave --> slave is a no-no in USB.
> Then how are they using a processor to fire a camera by US in
> that aeroplane camera? --> http://www.blip.com.au

There's a thing called USB on-the-go which I think is a peer to peer
arrangement.  Google probably knows all about it.

--steve


2007\01\01@224931 by peter green

flavicon
face
> There's a thing called USB on-the-go which I think is a peer to peer
> arrangement.  Google probably knows all about it.
there is still a host and a device in any connection, the initial status being set by the cable (mini-a and mini-b connectors have an extra pin which is shorted to ground in one and not the other and then the on the go supporting devices have a socket that can take both mini-a and mini-b)

the important point is that the 18f4550 series can't act as usb hosts and you aren't going to be able to bit bang a host that can work with a full speed device on a device like a pic or even a ubicom sx (the sx can just about bit bang fast

so if you wan't usb host your choices boil down to an external usb controller or using a microcontroller other than a PIC.


2007\01\02@081442 by peter green

flavicon
face
> work with a full speed device on a device like a pic or even a
> ubicom sx (the sx can just about bit bang fast
that should have said fast enough to talk to a low speed usb device.


More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2007 , 2008 only
- Today
- New search...