Searching \ for '[EE] Interfacing to VGA projectors' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/displays.htm?key=vga
Search entire site for: 'Interfacing to VGA projectors'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE] Interfacing to VGA projectors'
2005\06\28@022101 by liam .

picon face
Does anyone have experiance in controlling data projectors via serial?
I dont necisarily want to do it from a PIC or other hardware just a PC
com port would be sufficent.

Do projectors listen to ASCII words or hex codes or what. The only
info I have is the projector interfaces with BAUD 19200,N,8,1 to an
AMX controller which I dont want to use.

The projectors are all INFOCUS LP650


liaaam

2005\06\28@023440 by David Duffy

flavicon
face
liam . wrote:

>Does anyone have experiance in controlling data projectors via serial?
>I dont necisarily want to do it from a PIC or other hardware just a PC
>com port would be sufficent.
>
>Do projectors listen to ASCII words or hex codes or what. The only
>info I have is the projector interfaces with BAUD 19200,N,8,1 to an
>AMX controller which I dont want to use.
>
>The projectors are all INFOCUS LP650
>  
>

A lot of them have RS232 ports. You will need to get the communications
data (format, messages, etc) from the manufacturer. Some are better than
others at providing this information though. Have fun! :-)
David...

--
___________________________________________
David Duffy        Audio Visual Devices P/L
U8, 9-11 Trade St, Cleveland 4163 Australia
Ph: +61 7 38210362      Fax: +61 7 38210281
Our Web Site: http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au
___________________________________________

2005\06\28@111107 by Mark Rages

face picon face
On 6/28/05, David Duffy <spam_OUTdavidTakeThisOuTspamaudiovisualdevices.com.au> wrote:
> liam . wrote:
>
> >Does anyone have experiance in controlling data projectors via serial?
> >I dont necisarily want to do it from a PIC or other hardware just a PC
> >com port would be sufficent.
> >
> >Do projectors listen to ASCII words or hex codes or what. The only
> >info I have is the projector interfaces with BAUD 19200,N,8,1 to an
> >AMX controller which I dont want to use.
> >
> >The projectors are all INFOCUS LP650
> >
> >
>
> A lot of them have RS232 ports. You will need to get the communications
> data (format, messages, etc) from the manufacturer. Some are better than
> others at providing this information though. Have fun! :-)
> David...
>

Actually, it isn't very hard to reverse-engineer RS-232
communications.  You can use one computer to talk to the projector
with the manufacturer's software, and another computer to listen to
the serial communications.  You will only be able to listen to either
RX or TX unless you use two serial ports or a real protocal analyzer
that supports full duplex communication.

Then you just try things and see what shows up on the wire: the French
Cafe method. http://samba.org/ftp/tridge/misc/french_cafe.txt

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail
--
You think that it is a secret, but it never has been one.
 - fortune cookie

2005\06\28@111952 by Dave VanHorn

flavicon
face

>
>Actually, it isn't very hard to reverse-engineer RS-232
>communications.  You can use one computer to talk to the projector
>with the manufacturer's software, and another computer to listen to
>the serial communications.  You will only be able to listen to either
>RX or TX unless you use two serial ports or a real protocal analyzer
>that supports full duplex communication.

Many protocols are actually half-duplex, and all you need to listen
is a pair of diodes connecting the listening device to both data lines.

2005\06\28@183922 by Peter

picon face


On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, liam . wrote:

> Does anyone have experiance in controlling data projectors via serial?
> I dont necisarily want to do it from a PIC or other hardware just a PC
> com port would be sufficent.
>
> Do projectors listen to ASCII words or hex codes or what. The only
> info I have is the projector interfaces with BAUD 19200,N,8,1 to an
> AMX controller which I dont want to use.
>
> The projectors are all INFOCUS LP650

Usually the messages are of the type <SOT>XYZ<EOT> and the device
answers <ACK> or <NAK>. But it could be different.

Peter

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2005 , 2006 only
- Today
- New search...