Searching \ for '[EE] Eagle and DRill racks' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/pcbs.htm?key=eagle
Search entire site for: 'Eagle and DRill racks'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE] Eagle and DRill racks'
2005\05\11@180704 by wayne

flavicon
face
I have a circuit produced in eagle, with rather weird drill sizes... 0.60mm
and .61mm for instance. Can I edit the drill rack file when producing
gerbers to take these both to .60mm???. I'm assuming the central position of
the drill will remain constant, but the size will change... am I right? Or
should I do something else....

Wayne


2005\05\11@200033 by Josh Koffman

face picon face
I've done that before, it does work. You do need to be cautious
though. In your case it should work, but it's not a great habit, what
happens if you "just need to do a quick edit" but upsize the drill
bit? You could end up with a non existant copper pad or something
similar.

I'm sure there will be other opinions on this one.

Josh
--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools.
       -Douglas Adams

On 5/11/05, wayne <spam_OUTwayneTakeThisOuTspamfused.org> wrote:
> I have a circuit produced in eagle, with rather weird drill sizes... 0.60mm
> and .61mm for instance. Can I edit the drill rack file when producing
> gerbers to take these both to .60mm???. I'm assuming the central position of
> the drill will remain constant, but the size will change... am I right? Or
> should I do something else....

2005\05\11@210316 by PicDude

flavicon
face
If I understand you correctly, you will need to edit the drill rack file
(.drl) to list only the sizes you want to be drilled.  When you run the CAM
processor, it will complain of a missing drill size, so you need to specify a
drill tolerance so that it will find a close enough drill from what's
available.  In the example you listed, a -1% should be enough.

When you get the gerber outputs, examine them carefully to ensure the affected
holes/pads are acceptable in terms of size, annular ring, etc.  Also, the
.dri file will report the substituted drills.

Yes, the central position will be the same, but the diameter will be
different.

BTW, I would think that you would specify a tolerance *above* any missing
drills, so the components will fit, unless you've verified otherwise.

Cheers,
-Neil.


On Wednesday 11 May 2005 05:06 pm, wayne scribbled:
> I have a circuit produced in eagle, with rather weird drill sizes... 0.60mm
> and .61mm for instance. Can I edit the drill rack file when producing
> gerbers to take these both to .60mm???. I'm assuming the central position
> of the drill will remain constant, but the size will change... am I right?
> Or should I do something else....
>
> Wayne


2005\05\11@211733 by Spehro Pefhany

picon face
At 08:03 PM 5/11/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>If I understand you correctly, you will need to edit the drill rack file
>(.drl) to list only the sizes you want to be drilled.  When you run the CAM
>processor, it will complain of a missing drill size, so you need to specify a
>drill tolerance so that it will find a close enough drill from what's
>available.  In the example you listed, a -1% should be enough.
>
>When you get the gerber outputs, examine them carefully to ensure the
>affected
>holes/pads are acceptable in terms of size, annular ring, etc.  Also, the
>.dri file will report the substituted drills.
>
>Yes, the central position will be the same, but the diameter will be
>different.
>
>BTW, I would think that you would specify a tolerance *above* any missing
>drills, so the components will fit, unless you've verified otherwise.
>
>Cheers,
>-Neil.

Don't know about Eagle, but in general, I've had no trouble manually editing
Excellon drill files for prototypes to use standard drill racks. They don't
seem to care if two tools are the same. Of course I check it very carefully
afterwards, and before sending it off. In particular, run a DRC
on your minimum annular ring design rule to make sure you're not violating
it due to making the drill size too large.


Best regards,

Spehro Pefhany --"it's the network..."            "The Journey is the reward"
.....speffKILLspamspam@spam@interlog.com             Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
Embedded software/hardware/analog  Info for designers:  http://www.speff.com
Inexpensive test equipment & parts http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZspeff




2005\05\12@062622 by Alan B. Pearce

face picon face


> I've done that before, it does work. You do need to be cautious
> though. In your case it should work, but it's not a great habit, what
> happens if you "just need to do a quick edit" but upsize the drill
> bit? You could end up with a non existant copper pad or something
> similar.
>
> I'm sure there will be other opinions on this one.
>
>
> > I have a circuit produced in eagle, with rather weird drill sizes...
0.60mm
> > and .61mm for instance. Can I edit the drill rack file when producing
> > gerbers to take these both to .60mm???. I'm assuming the central
position of
> > the drill will remain constant, but the size will change... am I right?
Or
> > should I do something else....
>

My personal preference would be to change the allowed tolerance on the drill
size. By increasing the plus tolerance then the larger hole would come
inside the plus tolerance of the smaller hole. If you are dealing with
Olimex then this is the way they deal with slightly differing sizes on their
cheap deal, from the way I read their web page.

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2005 , 2006 only
- Today
- New search...