Searching \ for '[EE] Digital pots' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=digital+pots
Search entire site for: 'Digital pots'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE] Digital pots'
2005\10\21@134040 by caonmail

flavicon
face
Hi All

I designed a circuit about a year ago using the DS1803 dual digital pot. At the time I
looked around, and that was the best fit for my I2C requiremnts. However, the item is
really pricy at R25 (~$4) apiece.

Does anyone know of a better choice chip for;
- I2C comms (essential)
- 50K device
- single or dual
- not about to go obsolete
- 256 steps
- operate on 5V


Regards
Roland


---------------------------------------------
This message was sent using MWEB Airmail.
JUST LIKE THAT
http://airmail.mweb.co.za/


2005\10\21@165859 by Mark Rages

face picon face
On 10/21/05, spam_OUTcaonmailTakeThisOuTspammweb.co.za <.....caonmailKILLspamspam@spam@mweb.co.za> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I designed a circuit about a year ago using the DS1803 dual digital pot. At the time I
> looked around, and that was the best fit for my I2C requiremnts. However, the item is
> really pricy at R25 (~$4) apiece.
>
> Does anyone know of a better choice chip for;
> - I2C comms (essential)
> - 50K device
> - single or dual
> - not about to go obsolete
> - 256 steps
> - operate on 5V

In your circuit, is one end of the pot grounded?

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail
--
You think that it is a secret, but it never has been one.
 - fortune cookie

2005\10\21@190815 by Bob Axtell

face picon face
caonmail@mweb.co.za wrote:

{Quote hidden}

Microchip has some spiffy digital pots. Xicor and BurrBrown (TI) have
more flavors, tho.

--Bob

--
Note: To protect our network,
attachments must be sent to
attachspamKILLspamengineer.cotse.net .
1-520-777-7606 USA/Canada
http://beam.to/azengineer

2005\10\22@143441 by caonmail

flavicon
face
{Quote hidden}

No. (short answer)

Regards
Roland

---------------------------------------------
This message was sent using MWEB Airmail.
JUST LIKE THAT
http://airmail.mweb.co.za/


2005\10\24@045436 by Alan B. Pearce

face picon face
>Does anyone know of a better choice chip for;
>- I2C comms (essential)
>- 50K device
>- single or dual
>- not about to go obsolete
>- 256 steps
>- operate on 5V

Sure I have seen something along this line in Analog Devices or Linear
Technology brochures going across my desk.

2005\10\24@051131 by Alan B. Pearce

face picon face
>>Does anyone know of a better choice chip for;
>>- I2C comms (essential)
>>- 50K device
>>- single or dual
>>- not about to go obsolete
>>- 256 steps
>>- operate on 5V
>
>Sure I have seen something along this line in Analog Devices or Linear
>Technology brochures going across my desk.

New I had seen one - AD5290, 256 position I2C interface.

2005\10\24@052653 by Chen Xiao Fan

face
flavicon
face
I think Microchip digital poti like MCP41050/MCP42050
fit your bills quite nicely. It may not be the best digital
poti like those from AD or Maxim. But it will be relatively cheaper and not so soon to go obsolete.

FEATURES
* 256 taps for each potentiometer
* Potentiometer values for 10k?, 50k? and 100k?
* Single and dual versions
* SPI serial interface (mode 0,0 and 1,1)
* +/- 1 LSB max INL & DNL
* Low power CMOS technology
* 1 µA maximum supply current in static operation
* Multiple devices can be daisy-chained together
(MCP42XXX only)
* Shutdown feature open circuits of all resistors for
maximum power savings
* Hardware shutdown pin available on MCP42XXX
only
* Single supply operation (2.7V - 5.5V)
* Industrial temperature range: -40°C to +85°C

Regards,
Xiaofan

{Original Message removed}

2005\10\24@065219 by Michael Rigby-Jones

picon face


>-----Original Message-----
>From: piclist-bouncesspamspam_OUTmit.edu [@spam@piclist-bouncesKILLspamspammit.edu]
>Sent: 24 October 2005 10:27
>To: 'Microcontroller discussion list - Public.'
>Subject: RE: [EE] Digital pots
>
>
>I think Microchip digital poti like MCP41050/MCP42050
>fit your bills quite nicely. It may not be the best digital
>poti like those from AD or Maxim. But it will be relatively
>cheaper and not so soon to go obsolete.
>
>FEATURES
>* 256 taps for each potentiometer
>* Potentiometer values for 10k?, 50k? and 100k?
>* Single and dual versions
>* SPI serial interface (mode 0,0 and 1,1)

The OP wanted an I2C interface however, which is a shame as they are very cheap.

Intersil have a wide range of digi-pots (formaly Xicors parts), though I don't know how they compare on price.

http://www.intersil.com/products/deviceresults.asp?i=10763

Regards

Mike

=======================================================================
This e-mail is intended for the person it is addressed to only. The
information contained in it may be confidential and/or protected by
law. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you must
not make any use of this information, or copy or show it to any
person. Please contact us immediately to tell us that you have
received this e-mail, and return the original to us. Any use,
forwarding, printing or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
No part of this message can be considered a request for goods or
services.
=======================================================================

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2005 , 2006 only
- Today
- New search...