Searching \ for '[EE] Best choice for 3.6V battery' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/power/batterys.htm?key=battery
Search entire site for: 'Best choice for 3.6V battery'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE] Best choice for 3.6V battery'
2006\04\19@051945 by Jinx

face picon face
I've an application that needs occassional 3A @ 3.6V and thought
rather than make a PSU capable of that current, use batteries as
reserves and top them up in between drains with a smaller PSU.
Looking around, eg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_polymer_cell

(and wading through the BS) are these state of the art ?

===============================================
If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate



2006\04\19@055432 by William Chops Westfield

face picon face

On Apr 19, 2006, at 2:19 AM, Jinx wrote:

> I've an application that needs occassional 3A @ 3.6V

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_polymer_cell
>
Lithium polymer cells are pretty state-of-the-art, as far as
relatively high current batteries are concerned.  However, they're
only 3.6V "nominal"; actual voltage during the useful part of a
charge will vary from about 4.2 to 3.2V.  A triplet of 1.2V NiMH
cells would give you a much "flatter" 3.6V supply...

You can find lots of information on using them, and the associated
dangers ("Venting with flames!") on the RC plane forums...

BillW

2006\04\19@070036 by kravnus wolf

picon face
Just double checking Bill, you mean it goes on FIRE in
the RC plane?

john

--- William Chops Westfield <spam_OUTwestfwTakeThisOuTspammac.com> wrote:

{Quote hidden}

> --

2006\04\19@075310 by Peter Todd

picon face
On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 04:00:35AM -0700, kravnus wolf wrote:
> Just double checking Bill, you mean it goes on FIRE in
> the RC plane?

Quite possibly... Valence Technology may be a little biased, but their
cheery video on lithium battery safety has gained a permenent place on
my m/vids/wow directory!

http://www.valence.com/SafetyVideo.asp

--
.....peteKILLspamspam@spam@petertodd.ca http://www.petertodd.ca

2006\04\19@100443 by Bob Axtell

face picon face
William Chops Westfield wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2006, at 2:19 AM, Jinx wrote:
>
>  
>> I've an application that needs occassional 3A @ 3.6V
>>    
>
>  
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_polymer_cell
>>
>>    
> Lithium polymer cells are pretty state-of-the-art, as far as
> relatively high current batteries are concerned.  However, they're
> only 3.6V "nominal"; actual voltage during the useful part of a
> charge will vary from about 4.2 to 3.2V.  A triplet of 1.2V NiMH
> cells would give you a much "flatter" 3.6V supply...
>
> You can find lots of information on using them, and the associated
> dangers ("Venting with flames!") on the RC plane forums...
>  
Seriously, there is an effort afoot to get rid of them because the
shipping danger is so
great. Nothing, not even water or CO2 extinguishes their flame. Most are
fairly safe,
but some of the Chinese knockoffs badly made and dangerous.

--Bob

> BillW
>  

2006\04\19@105817 by William Chops Westfield

face picon face
On Apr 19, 2006, at 4:00 AM, kravnus wolf wrote:

> you mean it goes on FIRE in the RC plane?

Yes.  Although the most common failure is to catch fire during
charging (usually but not always due to user mistakes like trying
to charge a 2 cell pack on a charger set for three cells), in which
case the fire has been known to take out a garage full of planes :-(
Packs have been known to catch fire when damaged in crashes, or in
apparently normal flight (much more rarely.)  The RC community has
been pretty careful to document accidents to try to isolate the
causes of failures, but the current state is that such batteries
get charged in fireproof containers under supervision...

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2006 , 2007 only
- Today
- New search...