Searching \ for '[EE]:NTSC graphics chip needed for TV Menus.' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/displays.htm?key=ntsc
Search entire site for: 'NTSC graphics chip needed for TV Menus.'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE]:NTSC graphics chip needed for TV Menus.'
2001\01\02@135618 by David Blain

picon face
Hello all,

This is the best place I know of for information, so I hope you don't mind
this question:

I am trying to put together a MP3 player that will connect as part of my
home entertainment system and get songs from my file server though Ethernet.
Most of the features that I want don't look too difficult to implement,
except one.  I want to have the User Interface displayed on my TV.  I want
it to be both text and graphics.

I am trying NOT to use a full computer, but to build a dedicated system.
(Both for the fun of it and because I want it to be as simple/fast as
possible for anyone to use.)

What I am looking for is a graphics chip that I can supply some SRAM/DRAM to
and can a do full color bitmapped graphics to.  The output needs to be NTSC
compatible.

Any links to chips that might help would be appreciated, I have already
spent hours (too many) searching for anything, with limited success.
(Nothing that I could use without implementing a PCI bus! I will leave that
for the last resort solution.)

One more note, I am doing this as a hobby project, So I will most likely be
putting up a web site, if I ever get to the prototype/testing phase.

Thanks for any/all help.

David.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2001\01\02@152921 by Herbert Graf

flavicon
face
> I am trying NOT to use a full computer, but to build a dedicated system.
> (Both for the fun of it and because I want it to be as simple/fast as
> possible for anyone to use.)
>
> What I am looking for is a graphics chip that I can supply some
> SRAM/DRAM to
> and can a do full color bitmapped graphics to.  The output needs
> to be NTSC
> compatible.
>
> Any links to chips that might help would be appreciated, I have already
> spent hours (too many) searching for anything, with limited success.
> (Nothing that I could use without implementing a PCI bus! I will
> leave that
> for the last resort solution.)

    You don't want to use a whole computer, but how about a small part of
one? Many CGA cards had composite out on them, this allowed one to connect
the computer to a TV screen. The graphics are only 4 colours (with different
palettes I THINK) and the text is ugly, but it should be very easy to
implement since all you have to do is create an 8 bit ISA bus (with
addressing but you can hardwire some of the bus so that you only need to
toggle a few of the address lines). These cards are practically thrown away
now and should do what you want. TTYL

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2001\01\02@154213 by severson

flavicon
face
Take a look at http://www.dontronics.com/dt108.html for at least a text
solution.

-Robert Severson
http://usbsimm.home.att.net
http://www.jged.com
http://www.annatechnology.com

> {Original Message removed}

2001\01\02@162134 by David Blain

picon face
Well, I kind of told a lie.  It will not be JUST for MP3's.

MP3 is my first step in the implementation.  The second thing that I would
like to do with it is display the 1000+ JPG images that my wife and I have
take with our digital camera.

I want to use our 35" TV as our photo album, so we can torture friends and
family with all of our pictures.  It's too hard to have everyone cram into
my office or print each picture to view them.

So, the CGA card would not have enough colors/resolution.  However, I will
keep in mind a ISA VGA card with TV out as an option, if a chipset can't be
found.

Thanks.

David.

{Original Message removed}

2001\01\03@042322 by Alan B. Pearce

face picon face
>MP3 is my first step in the implementation.  The second thing that I would
>like to do with it is display the 1000+ JPG images that my wife and I have
>take with our digital camera.

Sounds like you would be better off getting a full PC mother board and video
card with DVD video outputs, but then you may as well get a minimalist PC.....

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics


2001\01\03@072438 by kayode.ayandokun

flavicon
face
David Blain <spam_OUTdblainTakeThisOuTspamMEDIAONE.NET> wrote:
> Well, I kind of told a lie.  It will not be JUST for MP3's.
>
> MP3 is my first step in the implementation.  The second thing that I would
> like to do with it is display the 1000+ JPG images that my wife and I have
> take with our digital camera.
>
> I want to use our 35" TV as our photo album, so we can torture friends and
> family with all of our pictures.  It's too hard to have everyone cram into
> my office or print each picture to view them.
>
> So, the CGA card would not have enough colors/resolution.  However, I will
> keep in mind a ISA VGA card with TV out as an option, if a chipset can't be
> found.
>

For this application you should use a TV encoder chip.  These are
designed to take bit map or compressed MPEG / JPEG data and output a
composite / S-video signal suitable for display on a TV.  They are used
in DVD players, set top boxes etc.  I suggest you do a search for "TV
encoder" on the websites of Philips, TI, Rockwell and Cirrus for
starters.  The only bookmark I have is
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/productfolder.jhtml?genericPartNumber=TVP6000

Happy Hunting.

Kayode
________________________________________________________________________
Visit http://www.stv5730a.co.uk and harness the power of a whole TV
screen with the 16F84 STV5730A on screen display project board.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics


More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2001 , 2002 only
- Today
- New search...