Searching \ for '[EE]: Serial library for Delphi' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/io/serials.htm?key=serial
Search entire site for: 'Serial library for Delphi'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE]: Serial library for Delphi'
2007\01\17@204258 by Vitaliy

picon face
Hi All,

I'm looking for a library that works under Delphi 7. It needs to be
flexible, easy to use, and support multithreading. In particular, I must
have access to the control lines.

Any help is appreciated, but especially if you can recommend a library that
you've used personally.

Vitaliy

2007\01\17@212406 by Timothy J. Weber

face picon face
I use the one here:

<http://sourceforge.net/projects/comport/>

But I have only used very basic functionality with it yet.  That page
gives a link to AsyncPro as a more feature-rich alternative; I think I
decided against it for some reason initially but can't remember why.

(For whatever that's worth!)

Vitaliy wrote:
{Quote hidden}

--
Timothy J. Weber
http://timothyweber.org

2007\01\17@213841 by Bob Blick

face picon face

> I'm looking for a library that works under Delphi 7. It needs to be
> flexible, easy to use, and support multithreading. In particular, I must
> have access to the control lines.
>
> Any help is appreciated, but especially if you can recommend a library that
> you've used personally.

Hi Vitaliy,

I use Turbo Power Async Pro. It's absolutely great. It's also now open
source.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tpapro/

Cheerful regards,

Bob

2007\01\17@232143 by Mark E. Skeels

picon face
I second that.

But don't use the packet components. Use the triggers.

Mark

Bob Blick wrote:
{Quote hidden}

2007\01\18@150448 by Vitaliy

picon face
Mark E. Skeels wrote:
{Quote hidden}

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try.

Vitaliy

2007\01\19@232527 by Vitaliy

flavicon
face
Mark E. Skeels wrote:
>> I use Turbo Power Async Pro. It's absolutely great. It's also now open
>> source.
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/tpapro/

>
> But don't use the packet components. Use the triggers.

OK, I installed the library.. it looks serious! I'm now busy reading the
Developer's Guide, the Reference Guide is 979 pages! Wow! :)

I'm curious, what's the story behind it? It looks like it was a commercial
product at some point. Did the company who developed it go bankrupt sometime
in 2003?

Thank you again.

Vitaliy

2007\01\19@235828 by Vitaliy

picon face
Bob Blick wrote:
> I use Turbo Power Async Pro. It's absolutely great. It's also now open
> source.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/tpapro/
>

Is there a way to control the DTR and RTS lines directly? Say, if I wanted
to write a simple test app that had three buttons:

PORT ON/OFF
DTR ON/OFF
RTS ON/OFF

Async has a sophisticated setup menu, but it's not flexible enough to do
what I want.

Your help is appreciated!

Best regards,

Vitaliy

2007\01\20@081813 by Mark E. Skeels

picon face
I don't know the  story of their demise, but TurboPower Software goes
back to the days of Turbo Pascal. I used the first release of Asynch
Pro. They were the premier (in my opinion) toolkit builders for both
Delphi and TP. If I recall correctly, they were purchased by someone
connected with the gaming industry. It was some time after that that
they closed their doors.

It's worth checking out the other libraries as well.

Security, utilities, database engines; it was all good stuff.

Mark

Vitaliy wrote:
{Quote hidden}

2007\01\20@092510 by Timothy J. Weber

face picon face
Vitaliy wrote:
> Mark E. Skeels wrote:
>>> I use Turbo Power Async Pro. It's absolutely great. It's also now open
>>> source.
>>>
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/tpapro/
>
>> But don't use the packet components. Use the triggers.
>
> OK, I installed the library.. it looks serious! I'm now busy reading the
> Developer's Guide, the Reference Guide is 979 pages! Wow! :)

Oh right - I knew there was a reason I went with the other one!  :)

(though I want to look into it again now)
--
Timothy J. Weber
http://timothyweber.org

2007\01\20@131442 by Bob Blick

face picon face
Vitaliy wrote:

> Is there a way to control the DTR and RTS lines directly? Say, if I wanted
> to write a simple test app that had three buttons:
>
> PORT ON/OFF
> DTR ON/OFF
> RTS ON/OFF

Hi Vitaliy,

Drop an ApdComPort onto your form. It'll default to the name
ApdComPort1. To open the port, ApdComPort1.Open := True. To wiggle DTR,
ApdComPort1.DTR := False (or True as you decide). Same for RTS,
ApdComPort1.RTS := False.

So drop some buttons on your form and make their actions toggle True and
False on the items you want to control.

If you don't choose a com port ahead of time, or the com port you have
chosen is not valid, when you open the port it'll automatically pop up a
chooser at run time.

Easy!

Cheers,

Bob

2007\01\20@175824 by Jim Korman

flavicon
face
Vitaliy wrote:
{Quote hidden}

The company was acquired by another company who wanted other stuff that
TurboPower had created. If I remember the discussions from the
borland.delphi.non-technical group, the new owner didn't have much interest
in the Delphi tools. Not enough return to keep the tools in maint. so they
let them loose.

Jim

2007\01\22@190517 by Vitaliy

flavicon
face
Timothy J. Weber wrote:
>>>> I use Turbo Power Async Pro. It's absolutely great. It's also now open
>>>> source.
>>>>
>>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/tpapro/
>>
>>> But don't use the packet components. Use the triggers.
>>
>> OK, I installed the library.. it looks serious! I'm now busy reading the
>> Developer's Guide, the Reference Guide is 979 pages! Wow! :)
>
> Oh right - I knew there was a reason I went with the other one!  :)
>
> (though I want to look into it again now)

I started out using Dejan's library (the one you recommended), but it's just
too simple (read: "inflexible") and buggy.

Best regards,

Vitaliy

2007\01\22@191442 by Vitaliy

flavicon
face
Bob Blick wrote:
{Quote hidden}

Wow, that does sound super-easy!

I guess my problem is that I started by reading the Developer's Guide, The
description of the COM port was very brief, and gave me the impression that
it didn't give the user much flexibility.

I looked up the component in Async's help file, and it has everything I need
to know. Thanks Bob!

By the way, how do you add third party help files to the help menu? I have a
feeling that I did it at some point in the past, but I can't remember how to
do it now.

Also, are there any good mailing lists or forums for Delphi programmers
(sort of like Delphi PicList)?  :-)

Thanks again for your help, Async is exactly what I was looking for.

Best regards,

Vitaliy


2007\01\22@203951 by Timothy J. Weber

face picon face
Vitaliy wrote:
> I started out using Dejan's library (the one you recommended), but it's just
> too simple (read: "inflexible") and buggy.

I'll put it On The List to switch over to Async Pro.

I looked at the other TurboPower packages on SourceForge and there's a
lot of really useful stuff there!
--
Timothy J. Weber
http://timothyweber.org

2007\01\27@132507 by Mauricio Giovagnini

flavicon
face
Timothy J. Weber escribió:
> Vitaliy wrote:
>  
>> I started out using Dejan's library (the one you recommended), but it's just
>> too simple (read: "inflexible") and buggy.
>>    
>
> I'll put it On The List to switch over to Async Pro.
>
> I looked at the other TurboPower packages on SourceForge and there's a
> lot of really useful stuff there!
>  

I've been happily using  TPAPRO libraries for about 3 years.

Its serious , its portable (it runs over all Windows) and its multithreaded.

I also started with Djan Component but it was not multithreaded (at
least the version i had) and the TPAPRO libraries were too much complete
and powerful.




       

       
               
__________________________________________________
Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
Todo lo que querías saber, y lo que ni imaginabas,
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
¡Probalo ya!
http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

2007\01\27@201508 by Timothy J. Weber

face picon face
Mauricio Giovagnini wrote:
> I've been happily using  TPAPRO libraries for about 3 years.
>
> Its serious , its portable (it runs over all Windows) and its multithreaded.
>
> I also started with Djan Component but it was not multithreaded (at
> least the version i had) and the TPAPRO libraries were too much complete
> and powerful.

Thanks - now that I look at some of my code, I had been running into
some limitations with the CPort library that could probably be helped by
moving to a threaded design.  Looks like Async Pro will be moving in.
--
Timothy J. Weber
http://timothyweber.org

2007\01\29@140826 by Vitaliy

flavicon
face
> Timothy J. Weber
> http://timothyweber.org

Tim -- OT: are you using Wordpress or similar for your website?

2007\01\29@172031 by Timothy J. Weber

face picon face
Drupal.  Not always an ideal fit for everything I want to do... but so
darn easy.  That means I end up doing what it wants me to do.  I don't
really mind.

Vitaliy wrote:
>> Timothy J. Weber
>> http://timothyweber.org
>
> Tim -- OT: are you using Wordpress or similar for your website?

--
Timothy J. Weber
http://timothyweber.org

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2007 , 2008 only
- Today
- New search...