Searching \ for '[EE]: Memory options.-' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/mems.htm?key=memory
Search entire site for: 'Memory options.-'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE]: Memory options.-'
2001\03\28@110639 by Sebastian Garcia

flavicon
face
Hi PIC'ers,

I need to design a digital datalogger, with at least 1 MB storage capacity.
The question is : Which pair of microcontroller-memory should I use? (The
memory must be RAM because of the very high 'write rate' neeed in this
proyect).

For the micro, I have been looking at the wonderful Dallas 83C390, 8051 code
compatible, capable of addressing up to 4 MB of external RAM. (and other
goodies as  two CAN 2.0, two UARTs, 4KB RAM, ... )

But about the memory options in the market, I'm *really out of date*.

Any pointer will be appreciated.


Best Regards,

S.-

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2001\03\28@135343 by Olin Lathrop

face picon face
> I need to design a digital datalogger, with at least 1 MB storage
capacity.
> The question is : Which pair of microcontroller-memory should I use? (The
> memory must be RAM because of the very high 'write rate' neeed in this
> proyect).
>
> For the micro, I have been looking at the wonderful Dallas 83C390, 8051
code
> compatible, capable of addressing up to 4 MB of external RAM. (and other
> goodies as  two CAN 2.0, two UARTs, 4KB RAM, ... )

keep in mind that you don't need the micro to natively address the memory
unless you need the maximum possible access speed.  You can "manually"
read/write memory by using programmed I/O pins.  I've done data loggers that
do exactly that with PICs.


********************************************************************
Olin Lathrop, embedded systems consultant in Littleton Massachusetts
(978) 742-9014, spam_OUTolinTakeThisOuTspamembedinc.com, http://www.embedinc.com

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2001\03\28@205821 by Sebastian Garcia

flavicon
face
Hi Olin,

Thanks for your response.

I know what You say, but this implies memory bank switching using additional
I/O lines, and looking at the price of the 83C390 (US$15), I prefer the easy
way. Also, this micro has the additional UART that I need in my proyect,
avoiding in this manner to make it by software (I need simultaneous access
to input and output of the datalogger).

About the memories, What are You using?

Best Regards,

S.-


{Original Message removed}

2001\03\29@090536 by Olin Lathrop

face picon face
> I know what You say, but this implies memory bank switching using
additional
> I/O lines, and looking at the price of the 83C390 (US$15), I prefer the
easy
> way. Also, this micro has the additional UART that I need in my proyect,
> avoiding in this manner to make it by software (I need simultaneous access
> to input and output of the datalogger).
>
> About the memories, What are You using?

On one recent data logger we used the Dallas Semi non-volatile memories.
These are really CMOS static RAMs with an internal battery backup.  They are
expensive, but that didn't matter because the customer wanted only a small
number of these built for internal use.  I used a PIC 17C756 because I
needed a UART, IIC, 8 A/Ds, and lots of pins to connect to the data memory
and a few other custom things on this board.  All the data memory accesses
are done by wiggling the I/O lines appropriately by programmed I/O, which is
actually very easy.


********************************************************************
Olin Lathrop, embedded systems consultant in Littleton Massachusetts
(978) 742-9014, .....olinKILLspamspam@spam@embedinc.com, http://www.embedinc.com

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics


2001\03\29@212610 by Sebastian Garcia

flavicon
face
Olin,

----- Original Message -----
From: Olin Lathrop <olin_piclistspamKILLspamEMBEDINC.COM>

| On one recent data logger we used the Dallas Semi non-volatile memories.
| These are really CMOS static RAMs with an internal battery backup.  They
are
| expensive, but that didn't matter because the customer wanted only a small
| number of these built for internal use.  I used a PIC 17C756 because I
| needed a UART, IIC, 8 A/Ds, and lots of pins to connect to the data memory
| and a few other custom things on this board.  All the data memory accesses
| are done by wiggling the I/O lines appropriately by programmed I/O, which
is
| actually very easy.

Thanks a lot for your useful considerations. I'll take a look at Dallas
RAM's.

Best Regards.

S.-

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics


More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2001 , 2002 only
- Today
- New search...