Searching \ for '[EE]: Measuring absolute deflection' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=measuring+absolute
Search entire site for: 'Measuring absolute deflection'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE]: Measuring absolute deflection'
2008\11\24@184148 by Richard Prosser

picon face
Video Camera, Proximity sensor?

Or, as the tape deflects, it will be stretched. So if you have a small
amount of deflection or an elastic conductor, you could possible get
an estimate of deflection from the resistance increase.

Or just a strain gauge connected to one end?

RP

On 25/11/2008, Michael Algernon <spam_OUTpicTakeThisOuTspamnope9.com> wrote:
{Quote hidden}

>  --

2008\11\24@212310 by Michael Algernon

flavicon
face
Thanks for the ideas.  My customer won't let me reveal what the sensor  
is being used for.
Sorry about being so mysterious.
MA

On 25/11/2008, Michael Algernon <.....picKILLspamspam@spam@nope9.com> wrote:
{Quote hidden}

 WFT Electronics
Denver, CO   720 222 1309
" dent the UNIVERSE "

All ideas, text, drawings and audio , that are originated by WFT  
Electronics ( and it's principals ),  that are included with this  
signature text are to be deemed to be released to the public domain as  
of the date of this communication .

2008\11\24@221826 by Dr Skip

picon face
This just occurred to me, so for the benefit of the list I will share, having
had many dealings with paranoid VCs and other clients... This may or may not
apply here, but may apply to other similar calls for help seen here in the past.

The list is a great resource. In looking for help, under a NDA, one tries to
word the problem such that any answers will be useful and apply, but without
directly describing the device. Being engineers, it isn't always difficult to
figure out, or guess, at what the end product may be, or spur one's imagination
to see an opportunity that wasn't seen before (probably being close enough to
the original idea). Some NDAs go to great lengths in specifying a broad list of
things which can't be talked about as well. Many phrase it as "enough info that
someone else may infer what the product is, how it will be used, or the
technology used". So, in soliciting help on the list, a few things might be
kept in mind:

- Just the revelation that Mr. X (the engineer) is developing a device using
(or needing) Y technology or sensor Z, may violate an NDA and cause future
legal hassles.

- Someone may infer enough about the problem and solution that a competing
product may result. The defense for the second company would be that Mr. X put
enough online to facilitate it, ostensibly with the client's permission.

- This may also happen before the first client goes to market (or finishes
development), potentially ruining possible patent claims.

- Mr. Y (a list contributor) could contribute materially to a solution and make
the claim that it was his invention and not the original client company's, with
the list being documented proof. Any number of people contributing could make
that claim, and even more (as lurkers) could finish up a design or concept and
claim prior art.

There are more, but it should show that there are risks in partially revealing
development which is under NDA online. The major risk is borne by the engineer
doing the posting, either through it being determined that the NDA was
violated, to big $ damages for loses in losing patents or market position for
the client. The list may fly under the radar of the VC or client management,
but may not during discovery in a legal proceeding. There is also the problem
of Mr. X's question showing up in a <google> search by management or
engineering dept at the client. Whether or not it has NDA issues, it might not
give the perception the engineer (Mr. X in this case) would want the client to
have about his progress or abilities. All of our discussions are only a search
away...

FYI
-Skip


Michael Algernon wrote:
> Thanks for the ideas.  My customer won't let me reveal what the sensor  
> is being used for.
> Sorry about being so mysterious.
> MA
>

2008\11\24@223210 by Bob Blick

face
flavicon
face
Lucky you referred to them as Mr X and Mr Y. You certainly wouldn't want
to use real names like "Info", "Dr. Skip", "Michael Algernon", or even
"Mongol Herdsman" :)

Cheerful regards,

Finnish Reindeerman


Dr Skip wrote:
{Quote hidden}

2008\11\25@060300 by Tony Smith

flavicon
face
> This just occurred to me, so for the benefit of the list I will share,
having
> had many dealings with paranoid VCs and other clients... This may or may
not
> apply here, but may apply to other similar calls for help seen here in the
past.
>
> The list is a great resource. In looking for help, under a NDA, one tries
to
> word the problem such that any answers will be useful and apply, but
without
> directly describing the device. Being engineers, it isn't always difficult
to
> figure out, or guess, at what the end product may be, or spur one's
imagination
> to see an opportunity that wasn't seen before (probably being close enough
to
> the original idea). Some NDAs go to great lengths in specifying a broad
list of
> things which can't be talked about as well. Many phrase it as "enough info
that
> someone else may infer what the product is, how it will be used, or the
> technology used". So, in soliciting help on the list, a few things might
be
> kept in mind:


Bugger that, let's play 'guess the product'.

Piezo is pretty useless for static stuff, as it'll only generate a voltage
if bits of it are moving about.  Presumably Gus/Cedric/Mick realises this,
so it's a dynamic situation then.  Or it's a case of 'hey that moved when it
shouldn't have so it might be about to break', which may or may not be
useful.  You also get a voltage it you thump hard enough near it, many a car
alarm has been set off by motorcyclists innocently riding past vehicles with
peizo sensors.  Not want you want in this case: "Gah!  It's breaking!  Run
for your lives!  No wait, a mouse just farted on it, false alarm folks."

Cedric was asking about wood type stuff bending a while back, but 20 inches
(half a metre) isn't much, and you'd be surprised how much wood moves about
all by itself (with a but of help from humidity).

So, 500mm, bendy, possibly narrow, possibly used in an inaccessible area.
Guesses?  Winner gets to choose MA's next persona.

Personally I'd use shiny tape and bounce a laser (or IR) off it, or the old
fibre optic method, buy hey, if you got something cheap you might as well
invent a problem for it.

Tony

2008\11\25@062837 by Alan B. Pearce

face picon face
>You also get a voltage it you thump hard enough near it,
>many a car alarm has been set off by motorcyclists
>innocently riding past vehicles with peizo sensors.

I had to laugh at the Top Gear visit to the USA in the current series
showing here in the UK. Driving a Corvette and Pontiac muscle cars through
'Vegas and rev the engines while stopped at traffic lights, setting off the
car alarms on the adjacent parked cars ... did manage to attract the
attention of the local law enforcement in the process though ...

2008\11\25@155536 by Jinx

face picon face
> Driving a Corvette and Pontiac muscle cars through 'Vegas and rev
> the engines while stopped at traffic lights, setting off the car alarms on
> the adjacent parked cars ...

Something to do out of frustration after you've calculated that your US-
made muscle car can't get around the corner and you'll have to go straight
on

(another Clarkson reference)

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2008 , 2009 only
- Today
- New search...