Searching \ for '[EE]: Looking for PDA like device that has 1G of m' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=looking+pda+like
Search entire site for: 'Looking for PDA like device that has 1G of m'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE]: Looking for PDA like device that has 1G of m'
2006\08\01@093700 by Gus S Calabrese

face picon face
this PDA will collect data for a long time and beam it back to the  
base station using bluetooth
any suggestions ?


Gus S Calabrese
Denver, CO
720 222 1309     303 908 7716 cell
Please include and do not limit yourself to "spam2006". I allow  
everything with  "spam2006"  in the subject or text to pass my spam  
filters.



2006\08\01@100736 by Vasile Surducan

face picon face
I have a Dell Axim X51V. It accept CF or SD card 64M to 2Gb and has
WIFI/bluethooth.
Unfortunately there isn't too much free software available...and it's
quite difficult to work with menus.

Vasile

On 8/1/06, Gus S Calabrese <spam_OUTgscTakeThisOuTspamomegadogs.com> wrote:
{Quote hidden}

> -

2006\08\01@101310 by Hector Martin [PIClist] n/a

flavicon
face
Gus S Calabrese wrote:
> this PDA will collect data for a long time and beam it back to the  
> base station using bluetooth
> any suggestions ?
Any Bluetooth PDA and a 1GB flash card of the appropriate type?

--
Hector Martin (.....hectorKILLspamspam@spam@marcansoft.com)
Public Key: http://www.marcansoft.com/hector.asc

2006\08\01@113813 by Herbert Graf

flavicon
face
On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 07:36 -0600, Gus S Calabrese wrote:
> this PDA will collect data for a long time and beam it back to the  
> base station using bluetooth
> any suggestions ?

Any PDA with a flash card slot. I have a 2GB CF card and my Dell X5 Axim
PDA, works very well for logging data over long periods of time. Most
PocketPC PDAs have at least an SD card slot. Most Sony PDAs have a
Memory card slot.

TTYL

2006\08\01@124208 by Padu

face picon face
From: "Herbert Graf"
>
> Any PDA with a flash card slot. I have a 2GB CF card and my Dell X5 Axim
> PDA, works very well for logging data over long periods of time. Most
> PocketPC PDAs have at least an SD card slot. Most Sony PDAs have a
> Memory card slot.
>
> TTYL
>


I have a HP IPAQ with wifi, BT, SD and CF. I use it to log GPS data over
long periods of time and it works like a charm. If you have Windows Pocket
PC 2003 or greater installed on your Pocket PC, you can use C# to develop
your logging program, very easy.

Cheers

Padu

2006\08\01@134802 by Marcel duchamp

picon face
Padu wrote:
> From: "Herbert Graf"
>> Any PDA with a flash card slot. I have a 2GB CF card and my Dell X5 Axim
>> PDA, works very well for logging data over long periods of time. Most
>> PocketPC PDAs have at least an SD card slot. Most Sony PDAs have a
>> Memory card slot.
>>
>> TTYL
>>
>
>
> I have a HP IPAQ with wifi, BT, SD and CF. I use it to log GPS data over
> long periods of time and it works like a charm. If you have Windows Pocket
> PC 2003 or greater installed on your Pocket PC, you can use C# to develop
> your logging program, very easy.
>
> Cheers
>
> Padu
>

Do either of the above devices support RS232?  How do you get data into
them to be logged?  I have thought about getting one of these for some
time for various logging tasks away from a desktop but am not sure what
they support.  I downloaded the manual for the Axim and it appears to
only support IRDA and USB.  Will it accept usb to serial dongles?

2006\08\01@143226 by Padu

face picon face
From: "Marcel duchamp"
{Quote hidden}

Yes, the PDA supports RS232. Because it was originally designed to connect
to a PC, it is wired as a "slave" (if that's the correct name for that). You
have to buy the serial cable (about $5 from ebay) and probably a gender
changer (depending on how the device you want to log is wired and what
connector it has).

I mentioned C# because it has direct support for serial ports, either on the
PC or on the Pocket PC, and creating a logger program is very, very simple.

I've used my device to log data from GPS in two different ways: 1) connected
to the serial cable 2) using the bluetooth as a serial port
Both worked flawlessly.

Cheers

Padu

2006\08\01@145355 by Herbert Graf

flavicon
face
On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 10:47 -0700, Marcel duchamp wrote:
> Do either of the above devices support RS232?  How do you get data into
> them to be logged?  I have thought about getting one of these for some
> time for various logging tasks away from a desktop but am not sure what
> they support.  I downloaded the manual for the Axim and it appears to
> only support IRDA and USB.  Will it accept usb to serial dongles?

Don't know about the current Axims, but the "original" Axim I have has a
serial port. For the longest time Dell tried to convince the community
it DIDN'T have a serial port, that USB was the only way to go. But
eventually they relented and released the serial cable. The cable has
some level shifting circuitry in it.

On my recent trip to Austria I logged every minute of GPS data from my
Garmin while driving around on my PDA. Lets me replay every trip I took.
TTYL

2006\08\01@152756 by Padu

face picon face
----- Original Message -----
From: "Herbert Graf"
> On my recent trip to Austria I logged every minute of GPS data from my
> Garmin while driving around on my PDA. Lets me replay every trip I took.
> TTYL
>

Hehe, what a difference. I use my PDA/GPS to log my trips to starbucks. It's
nice to see the puzzled look of the clerk when they see the GPS patch
antenna on my shoulder.

Cheers

Padu

2006\08\01@154108 by William Chops Westfield

face picon face

On Aug 1, 2006, at 6:36 AM, Gus S Calabrese wrote:

> this PDA will collect data for a long time and beam it back to the
> base station using bluetooth.  any suggestions ?
>
Lots of PDAs accept SD flash cards for storage; those are
currently available up to 4G...

BillW

2006\08\01@162358 by Herbert Graf

flavicon
face
On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 12:27 -0700, Padu wrote:
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Herbert Graf"
> > On my recent trip to Austria I logged every minute of GPS data from my
> > Garmin while driving around on my PDA. Lets me replay every trip I took.
> > TTYL
> >
>
> Hehe, what a difference. I use my PDA/GPS to log my trips to starbucks. It's
> nice to see the puzzled look of the clerk when they see the GPS patch
> antenna on my shoulder.

Well my initial plan was to bring carmon
(http://repatch.dyndns.org:8383/pic_stuff/carmon) along with me to
Europe so I could log all my trips.

But then I thought about what security might think of a box filled with
electronics with wires hanging about.

So, I decided to forgo that quagmire and instead devised a plan to use
my PDA. Bought a 75W inverter to power the PDA (for trips longer then
the 6 hours the PDAs battery would hold) and off I went! It worked
tremendously well, and ended up being quite compact.

I try to log all my trips, it makes revisiting them so much more fun! :)
TTYL

2006\08\01@231104 by Vasile Surducan

face picon face
On 8/1/06, Herbert Graf <mailinglist3spamKILLspamfarcite.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 12:27 -0700, Padu wrote:
> > {Original Message removed}

2006\08\01@234926 by Herbert Graf

flavicon
face
On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 06:11 +0300, Vasile Surducan wrote:
> > Well my initial plan was to bring carmon
> > (http://repatch.dyndns.org:8383/pic_stuff/carmon) along with me to
> > Europe so I could log all my trips.
> >
> > But then I thought about what security might think of a box filled with
> > electronics with wires hanging about.
>
>  Nobody care. I've carry two strawlers to Grece, full of electronic
> devices, one kilogram of LI batteries, 433Mhz walkie talkie, cables,
> tripods, electronic tools, cutters, screwing tools, 8 antennas of 5Ghz
> and 2.4Ghz and four WIMAX units for a field demonstration.
> They lost everything when come back, but after four days they found it.

I don't know about that. My suitcases usually carry an assortment of
cords, and electronic devices, and so far they've been "inspected" twice
(getting that note in my locked luggage the first time was an odd
feeling, seeing the note the second time was a little funny). Seeing as
my luggage already seems to cause scrutiny, adding home made electronics
stuff that may freak them out even more doesn't seem like something I
should do.

TTYL

2006\08\02@053710 by Howard Winter

face
flavicon
picon face
Padu,

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 12:27:42 -0700, Padu wrote:

> I use my PDA/GPS to log my trips to starbucks.

I think this is one of the best definitions of "Geek" I've see for some time!  :-)

Cheers,


Howard Winter
St.Albans, England


2006\08\02@053713 by Howard Winter

face
flavicon
picon face
Padu,

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 12:27:42 -0700, Padu wrote:

> I use my PDA/GPS to log my trips to starbucks.

I think this is one of the best definitions of "Geek" I've see for some time!  :-)

Cheers,


Howard Winter
St.Albans, England


More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2006 , 2007 only
- Today
- New search...