Searching \ for '[EE]: LCD backlight requirements' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/lcds.htm?key=lcd
Search entire site for: 'LCD backlight requirements'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE]: LCD backlight requirements'
2003\07\20@021557 by rrc124+

picon face
I recently purchases an LCD display, 16x2, from BG Micro. It has a backlight, but I can't seem to get it working (the display itself works fine). It looks like there is a seperate V+ and GND wire, but when I feed it 5v, nothing happens. I am afraid to feed it more because I don't want to damage it, plus I assume i'd at least see a tiny glow.. Any information you can offer as to the typical function/requirements of LCD backlights such as this would be appreciated. Thanks everyone...

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
spam_OUTpiclist-unsubscribe-requestTakeThisOuTspammitvma.mit.edu>

2003\07\20@022840 by Jean-Michel Howland

flavicon
face
>I recently purchases an LCD display, 16x2, from BG Micro. It has a
>backlight, but I can't seem to get it working (the display itself works
>fine). It looks like there is a seperate V+ and GND wire, but when I feed
>it 5v, nothing happens. I am afraid to feed it more because I don't want
>to damage it, plus I assume i'd at least see a tiny glow.. Any information
>you can offer as to the typical function/requirements of LCD backlights
>such as this would be appreciated. Thanks everyone...

Is the backlight an LED or EL?  If it's EL you'll need to feed it around
100V AC to see it light up.

Regards
Jean-Michel.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
.....piclist-unsubscribe-requestKILLspamspam@spam@mitvma.mit.edu>

2003\07\20@045246 by Andre Thomas

flavicon
face
| -----Original Message-----
| From: pic microcontroller discussion list
| [PICLISTspamKILLspamMITVMA.MIT.EDU]On Behalf Of rrc124+@PITT.EDU
| Sent: Sunday, July 20, 2003 8:15 AM
| To: .....PICLISTKILLspamspam.....MITVMA.MIT.EDU
| Subject: [EE]: LCD backlight requirements
|
|
| I recently purchases an LCD display, 16x2, from BG Micro. It has
| a backlight, but I can't seem to get it working (the display
| itself works fine). It looks like there is a seperate V+ and GND
| wire, but when I feed it 5v, nothing happens. I am afraid to feed
| it more because I don't want to damage it, plus I assume i'd at
| least see a tiny glow.. Any information you can offer as to the
| typical function/requirements of LCD backlights such as this
| would be appreciated. Thanks everyone...

Hi,

I was once viewing several datasheets whilst selecting LCDs for
a new project. I cant remember where I saw it, but I did come
accross an LCD which you could turn the backlight on or off with
a command similar to those used to initialise the lcd, clear the
screen etc etc... perhaps have a peek in the datasheet - it may
be that the lcd backlight is disabled by default and that you
need to send an init command to make it come on, after you have
applied power to the lcd. It is unlikely that the backlight would
use more than 5 volt assuming the size of the lcd and that it is
a character lcd.

Regards,
Andre Thomas

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
EraseMEpiclist-unsubscribe-requestspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTmitvma.mit.edu>

2003\07\20@144022 by Tal

flavicon
face
Your best bet would be to look for the data sheet. Did you check with BG
Micro ? They seem to have at http://www.bgmicro.com/proddoc.asp a data
sheet of a similar unit. Also, search Google for the model number.

Tal

> {Original Message removed}

2003\07\20@152437 by Nate Duehr

face
flavicon
face
Usually BG Micro has the datasheets for their LCD's and other items up
on their website.  Have you checked there?

rrc124+@PITT.EDU wrote:

> I recently purchases an LCD display, 16x2, from BG Micro. It has a backlight, but I can't seem to get it working (the display itself works fine). It looks like there is a seperate V+ and GND wire, but when I feed it 5v, nothing happens. I am afraid to feed it more because I don't want to damage it, plus I assume i'd at least see a tiny glow.. Any information you can offer as to the typical function/requirements of LCD backlights such as this would be appreciated. Thanks everyone...

--
Nate Duehr, natespamspam_OUTnatetech.com

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
"When all else fails, play dead."

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
@spam@piclist-unsubscribe-requestKILLspamspammitvma.mit.edu>

2003\07\20@161541 by rrc124+

picon face
Sadly, I don't have a datasheet for these units - they were surplus from BG Micro. The command you speak of to turn it on through the driver chip sounds interesting...I'll start reading up on that. As for the type of backlight, this is the unit I bought:

http://www.bgmicro.com/prodinfo.asp?sid=06348263888888896880620&prodid=LCD1022&page=1&cri=backlight&stype=3

It's an EL backlight. 100VAC you say? What is an EL inverter? Thanks everyone



--------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I was once viewing several datasheets whilst selecting LCDs for
a new project. I cant remember where I saw it, but I did come
accross an LCD which you could turn the backlight on or off with
a command similar to those used to initialise the lcd, clear the
screen etc etc... perhaps have a peek in the datasheet - it may
be that the lcd backlight is disabled by default and that you
need to send an init command to make it come on, after you have
applied power to the lcd. It is unlikely that the backlight would
use more than 5 volt assuming the size of the lcd and that it is
a character lcd.

Regards,
Andre Thomas

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
KILLspampiclist-unsubscribe-requestKILLspamspammitvma.mit.edu>

2003\07\20@164915 by Brian Clewer

flavicon
face
>>I recently purchases an LCD display, 16x2, from BG Micro. It has a
>>backlight, but I can't seem to get it working (the display itself works
>>fine). It looks like there is a seperate V+ and GND wire, but when I feed
>>it 5v, nothing happens. I am afraid to feed it more because I don't want
>>to damage it, plus I assume i'd at least see a tiny glow.. Any information
>>you can offer as to the typical function/requirements of LCD backlights
>>such as this would be appreciated. Thanks everyone...
>
>Is the backlight an LED or EL?  If it's EL you'll need to feed it around
>100V AC to see it light up.

If the back light is LED... you might need a new display...  An LED back lit
display needs a current limiting resisor in series with it.  The data sheet
should tell you how much current should be fed to it and you should be able
to work out the resistance from there.  You need to tell us what the model
is, or at least a data sheet to look at.  Without that, we can't really say.


Brian.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
RemoveMEpiclist-unsubscribe-requestTakeThisOuTspammitvma.mit.edu>

2003\07\20@165538 by rrc124+

picon face
I did manage to read the "data sheet" if you can call it that. It was more hand written notes. Thank you to the previous poster who found that BG Micro link. Sadly, the data sheet didn't say anything about the EL Backlight; it was all about the LCD unit itself. I did read "requires EL inverter" but that's all the information i could find. How can i find out what power rating inverter i need?

--- Begin Orginal Message ---
From: Brian Clewer <spamBeGonebrianclewerspamBeGonespamUK2.NET>
To:   TakeThisOuTPICLISTEraseMEspamspam_OUTMITVMA.MIT.EDU
CC: Date: 7/20/2003 9:51:01 PM

{Quote hidden}

If the back light is LED... you might need a new display...  An LED back lit
display needs a current limiting resisor in series with it.  The data sheet
should tell you how much current should be fed to it and you should be able
to work out the resistance from there.  You need to tell us what the model
is, or at least a data sheet to look at.  Without that, we can't really say.


Brian.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
RemoveMEpiclist-unsubscribe-requestspamTakeThisOuTmitvma.mit.edu

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
piclist-unsubscribe-requestEraseMEspam.....mitvma.mit.edu>

2003\07\20@183215 by Jinx

face picon face
> the data sheet didn't say anything about the EL Backlight

There's some background info here on EL

** Might *** be applicable to the BG unit

http://www.seiko-usa-ecd.com/lcd/products/char_mods/elbacklighting.html

This link may turn up a d/s

http://www.woe.de.vu/

or ask about your display at the LCD discussion forum

http://www.eio.com/public/lcd/

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
EraseMEpiclist-unsubscribe-requestspammitvma.mit.edu>

2003\07\21@134350 by Mike Hord

picon face
Digikey sells inverters for EL backlights.  Check pages 1119-1120 in their
latest catalog, or look under the index for "Inverters".

Generally, they are spec'ed by area of the EL backlight.  Estimate the
area of your LCD and then find the right size inverter.

I think BGMicro also sells inverters, but I'm not sure.

Mike H.


{Quote hidden}

_________________________________________________________________
STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads

2003\07\21@220320 by john chung

flavicon
face
Hi there,

   I also have 4 of the same unit like yourself. I haven't tried to interface
with the unit yet but I believe
that the EL inverter converts the DC voltage to 80-100 VAC. The link is:

http://www.seiko-usa-ecd.com/lcd/products/backlighting.html.

The manual that I received says that it is from Seiko....

Did you managed to get the LCD module to display any characters without the
EL backlight??

Sorry I cannot help you further, I do not how an EL inverter is suppose to look
like.
It is very new to me. But I believe it acts as a DC to AC voltage converter.
The ampere
change is unknown to me....... Better check whether the ampere output changes
to.

PS. Good luck to your search.

John

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads

2003\07\21@222925 by john chung

flavicon
face
rrc124+@pitt.edu wrote:

> Yes, I got the unit to display without the backlight. If you want, I can
> give you the details as to how this was done. Thanks for the feedback. In

  Your info. about interfacing with these cuties is greatly appreciated. Big thanks.

>
> fact, you may wish to know that i'm ordering from DigiKey an EL Inverter
> rated for 10-15 cm^2 EL area unit. It seems EL inverters are rated by how
> much surface area of EL needs to be lite. I estimated our units have 9-10

 Okay, very important information I did not know. Thanks.

>
> cm^2 of area. I'll let you know how it works out.
>
> ~Robert Campbell

  Thanks Robert.

PS. I am using these LCD modules for interfacing with the serial port so that I can
view the characters from the screen. What are you using them for?


Thanks,
John

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads

2003\07\21@224800 by David P Harris

picon face
Hi-
I have a couple of the EL inverters that I bought from BGMicro -- they
used to sell them .   They convert 5VDC to about 100VAC to drive the
EL.    The LCD displays are usable without them.  I could be persuaded
to sell one or both of these, as I never did use them .  There is a
datasheet for them (somewhere ;-).
David

john chung wrote:

{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads

2003\07\22@015237 by Dkbovaird

picon face
AllElectronics sells EL inverters

<A HREF="http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=290&type=store">http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=290&type=store</A>

or

<A HREF="http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=213&type=store">http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=213&type=store</A>


dave.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2003 , 2004 only
- Today
- New search...