Searching \ for '[EE]: How to dim UV light' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=how+dim+light
Search entire site for: 'How to dim UV light'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE]: How to dim UV light'
2001\08\08@193330 by Andre Abelian

picon face
Hi to all engineers,

I apologize if the tag isn't right.
I do not know how many of you use UV light for
drinking water filtration specially to filter (H. Pylori)
bacteria. I have setup with 9 pieces of different filters and the last
one is the UV light. My problem is that the light is always
stays on and it burns every 7-8 months. According to
report continuously leaving it on the UV light will last longer
then turning on and off. What I am thinking is to dim the light
when it is not used instead of turning it off BUT the question
is How to dim it.? Does any one know how to dim fluorescent light?


Andre

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email spam_OUTlistservTakeThisOuTspammitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2001\08\09@065333 by Vasile Surducan

flavicon
face
On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Andre Abelian wrote:

> Hi to all engineers,
>
> I apologize if the tag isn't right.
> I do not know how many of you use UV light for
> drinking water filtration specially to filter (H. Pylori)
> bacteria.

 Do you know that heliobacter pylori don't live in strong acidity medium
? Drink basic ( alkaline ) drinks [ plant-tea (plant read as vegetable and
not factory or power-plant) ] and your body will compensate that producing
more acid. It's verified.


I have setup with 9 pieces of different filters and the last
> one is the UV light. My problem is that the light is always
> stays on and it burns every 7-8 months. According to
> report continuously leaving it on the UV light will last longer
> then turning on and off. What I am thinking is to dim the light
> when it is not used instead of turning it off BUT the question
> is How to dim it.? Does any one know how to dim fluorescent light?
>
 You may dim a little the UV tube by decreasing ( 10 to 35 % ) the
high voltage and keeping almost constant the filament. Usual, the nominal
voltage dropout is about 70...120 V on a standard tube, you may have
something else there.
A cheap stepup convertor like those used in high efficiency bulbs may help
you. See some schematics at:
http://www.geocities.com/vsurducan/neon.htm

Vasile

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
.....piclist-unsubscribe-requestKILLspamspam@spam@mitvma.mit.edu


2001\08\09@065404 by Roman Black

flavicon
face
Andre Abelian wrote:
>
> Hi to all engineers,
>
> I apologize if the tag isn't right.
> I do not know how many of you use UV light for
> drinking water filtration specially to filter (H. Pylori)
> bacteria. I have setup with 9 pieces of different filters and the last
> one is the UV light. My problem is that the light is always
> stays on and it burns every 7-8 months. According to
> report continuously leaving it on the UV light will last longer
> then turning on and off. What I am thinking is to dim the light
> when it is not used instead of turning it off BUT the question
> is How to dim it.? Does any one know how to dim fluorescent light?


Hi Andre, first, what is failing in the tube??
If the end filaments are failing, you can use a
tube driving circuit that does not require the
end filaments, like the one on this page:
http://centauri.ezy.net.au/~fastvid/tube4w.htm

Generally fluoro tubes are glass cannister filled
with gas, and will last almost forever if kept
cool. Overheating tends to break the end filaments,
as does starting them up too many times.

Have you measured the tube temperature (near the
ends) when running and if so what is it?

Re your question about "dimming" you can simply
reduce the tube running current by using a different
ballast or a series resistor, as long as the tube
still starts reliably. :o)
-Roman

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
piclist-unsubscribe-requestspamKILLspammitvma.mit.edu


2001\08\09@072844 by Vasile Surducan

flavicon
face
On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Roman Black wrote:

>
> Hi Andre, first, what is failing in the tube??
> If the end filaments are failing, you can use a
> tube driving circuit that does not require the
> end filaments, like the one on this page:
> http://centauri.ezy.net.au/~fastvid/tube4w.htm
>
 Hi Roman, there is other schematic on your page except the traffic.pdf ?
I can't see your site only with a text browser ( under telnet )
Could you mail me the whole schematic, I wanna take a look.
Thanks, Vasile

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
.....piclist-unsubscribe-requestKILLspamspam.....mitvma.mit.edu


2001\08\09@081149 by John Walshe

flavicon
face
Some years ago I did a rf remote control to dim CFLs - it worked after a
fashion but the environment (inside the bulb holder) turned out to be just a
little to harsh for the electronics of the time. What you need to do is
adjust the switching frequency of the bulb. The response is not linear so
you'll have to play around with the frequencies.

John

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
EraseMEpiclist-unsubscribe-requestspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTmitvma.mit.edu


2001\08\09@112958 by Douglas Butler

flavicon
face
Do you want to dim the bulb for longer life?  How about shutting off the
high voltage but keep the filaments on?  Or better yet, some circuit to
gradually turn the filaments on and off.

Sherpa Doug

> {Original Message removed}

2001\08\09@125419 by Andre Abelian

picon face
Vasile,

>Do you know that heliobacter pylori don't live in strong acidity medium
>? Drink basic ( alkaline ) drinks [ plant-tea (plant read as vegetable and
>not factory or power-plant) ] and your body will compensate that producing
>more acid. It's verified.

this is very interesting I do not know what it means
"Drink basic ( alkaline ) drinks" and also
"plant read as vegetable"
can you give me more info.?

>You may dim a little the UV tube by decreasing ( 10 to 35 % ) the
>high voltage and keeping almost constant the filament. Usual, the nominal
>voltage dropout is about 70...120 V on a standard tube, you may have
>something else there.
>A cheap stepup convertor like those used in high efficiency bulbs may help
>you. See some schematics at:
>http://www.geocities.com/vsurducan/neon.htm

excellent.

Vasile

Andre

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
piclist-unsubscribe-requestspamspam_OUTmitvma.mit.edu

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
@spam@piclist-unsubscribe-requestKILLspamspammitvma.mit.edu


2001\08\09@132114 by Roman Black

flavicon
face
Vasile Surducan wrote:
>
> On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Roman Black wrote:
>
> >
> > Hi Andre, first, what is failing in the tube??
> > If the end filaments are failing, you can use a
> > tube driving circuit that does not require the
> > end filaments, like the one on this page:
> > http://centauri.ezy.net.au/~fastvid/tube4w.htm
> >
>   Hi Roman, there is other schematic on your page except the traffic.pdf ?
> I can't see your site only with a text browser ( under telnet )
> Could you mail me the whole schematic, I wanna take a look.
> Thanks, Vasile

Hi Vasile, try:
http://centauri.ezy.net.au/~fastvid/tube4w.gif
http://centauri.ezy.net.au/~fastvid/yel00.jpg

I will update the HTML to give links for the
pictures, for people like yourself that are
limited to using a text browser. :o)
-Roman

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
KILLspampiclist-unsubscribe-requestKILLspamspammitvma.mit.edu


2001\08\09@132639 by David VanHorn

flavicon
face
I hate to put a damper on all the techno solutions, but you can dim any
flourescent, by adding layers of metal screening, like used in windows.

Cheap, easy, and repeatable, and the UV light won't affect it.

--
Dave's Engineering Page: http://www.dvanhorn.org

I would have a link to http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?KC6ETE-9 here
in my signature line, but due to the inability of sysadmins at TELOCITY to
differentiate a signature line from the text of an email, I am forbidden to
have it.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
RemoveMEpiclist-unsubscribe-requestTakeThisOuTspammitvma.mit.edu


2001\08\10@042558 by Vasile Surducan

flavicon
face
Thank's Roman !
Can't you send me a free sample of yel00.jpg ?
Both parts please or separate parts will be ok.
By, Vasile


On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Roman Black wrote:

{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2001\08\10@051538 by Peter L. Peres

picon face
> I hate to put a damper on all the techno solutions, but you can dim any
> flourescent, by adding layers of metal screening, like used in windows.

He wants to save on lamp life.

Peter

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2001 , 2002 only
- Today
- New search...