Searching \ for '[EE]: Freescale ColdFire CPUs?' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=freescale+coldfire
Search entire site for: 'Freescale ColdFire CPUs?'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE]: Freescale ColdFire CPUs?'
2004\12\24@062541 by Philip Pemberton

face picon face
Hi,
 Seeing as there's been a lot of talk of Freescale's offerings on the
PIClist recently, I decided to take a look at their website... and noticed
the ColdFire CPUs.
 Has anyone had a play with the Coldfires? I'm looking at the MCF5307 and
the MCF5206e. Anyone got any comments? The SDRAM interface looks interesting;
I'm sure I could scavenge a few 32MB SDRAM modules from somewhere, and DIMM
sockets aren't exactly hard to get (find old motherboard, soak joints in
flux, heat, remove, repeat). Do the Coldfires have any weird clock or timing
requirements?
 Also, has anyone tried Freescale's online samples ordering system? How long
did it take from ordering to delivery?

 These CPUs look pretty cool.. especially seeing as they're capable of
running Linux (<http://www.uclinux.org/>).

Thanks,
--
Phil.                              | Acorn Risc PC600 Mk3, SA202, 64MB, 6GB,
spam_OUTphilpemTakeThisOuTspamphilpem.me.uk              | ViewFinder, 10BaseT Ethernet, 2-slice,
http://www.philpem.me.uk/          | 48xCD, ARCINv6c IDE, SCSI
... (beep) Help, I've fallen and can't reach the beer.

2004\12\24@093951 by Alex Parkinson

flavicon
face
I had a class in which we designed a board with the 5206e.  It had a 4MB DRAM module and
1MB of Flash and ran uCLinux ( http://www.uclinux.org ).  We used a port of gcc with gdb to
program it.  Although we had a good teacher to help us out, there were no major snags or
gotchas.  The Coldfires are pretty nice and relatively easy-to-use microcontrollers.  I
recommend playing around with them.  If you want to have a look at the class website,
there's plenty of useful links. http://www.lynch.ece.ufl.edu/EEL5745/5745main.html

Alex Parkinson

2004\12\24@102836 by Philip Pemberton

face picon face
In message <.....41CC2A36.2090504KILLspamspam@spam@circuitwerkes.com>
         Alex Parkinson <alexspamKILLspamcircuitwerkes.com> wrote:

> I had a class in which we designed a board with the 5206e.  It had a 4MB DRAM module and
> 1MB of Flash and ran uCLinux ( http://www.uclinux.org ).  We used a port of gcc with gdb to
> program it.  Although we had a good teacher to help us out, there were no major snags or
> gotchas.  The Coldfires are pretty nice and relatively easy-to-use microcontrollers.  I
> recommend playing around with them.  If you want to have a look at the class website,
> there's plenty of useful links. http://www.lynch.ece.ufl.edu/EEL5745/5745main.html

Thanks for that - I'll have a good look through those links when I get a few
minutes spare. What I would like to know is if it's possible to use (abuse?)
the CPU's JTAG port to program the Flash ROM while it's in circuit. If not,
I'm going to need a few adapters for my EPROM programmer :-/
My intention was to hook a Coldfire up to a Xilinx gate array and a
touchscreen LCD to make a simple eBook reader. I'd probably use a 32MB SDRAM
DIMM and clock the CPU at about 33MHz, then use one of the Samsung LCDs that
EarthLCD are selling as a display. That is, unless anyone knows of another
source of low-cost 320x240 res (or higher) 3" or so backlit touchscreen PDA
LCDs.

Later.
--
Phil.                              | Acorn Risc PC600 Mk3, SA202, 64MB, 6GB,
.....philpemKILLspamspam.....philpem.me.uk              | ViewFinder, 10BaseT Ethernet, 2-slice,
http://www.philpem.me.uk/          | 48xCD, ARCINv6c IDE, SCSI
... So many lawyers, so few bullets.

2004\12\24@105040 by Alex Parkinson

flavicon
face
Philip Pemberton wrote:
> What I would like to know is if it's possible to use (abuse?)
> the CPU's JTAG port to program the Flash ROM while it's in circuit. If not,
> I'm going to need a few adapters for my EPROM programmer :-/

While I'm not sure about using jtag, we designed a background debug module (BDM) that
worked with gdb flawlessly.  We used this to program the internal Flash ROM.  It was
always my intentions to write a gdb script to program the external Flash, as well, but I
never got around to it.  It's definitely possible, however.

Alex

2004\12\24@121649 by Philip Pemberton
face picon face
In message <EraseME41CC3AD0.6090404spam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTcircuitwerkes.com>
         Alex Parkinson <alexspamspam_OUTcircuitwerkes.com> wrote:

> While I'm not sure about using jtag, we designed a background debug module (BDM) that
> worked with gdb flawlessly.  We used this to program the internal Flash ROM.  It was
> always my intentions to write a gdb script to program the external Flash, as well, but I
> never got around to it.  It's definitely possible, however.

I thought the BDM on the Coldfire only allowed you to do stuff like
single-stepping, RAM sniffing and such. If it's possible to use the BDM to
bootstrap the CPU, then all I really need is a BDM adapter and a simple
bootstrap. Guess I need to read through the 500-page Coldfire datasheet :-/

Later.
--
Phil.                              | Acorn Risc PC600 Mk3, SA202, 64MB, 6GB,
@spam@philpemKILLspamspamphilpem.me.uk              | ViewFinder, 10BaseT Ethernet, 2-slice,
http://www.philpem.me.uk/          | 48xCD, ARCINv6c IDE, SCSI
McBorgs - Over one billion assimilated!

2004\12\24@161020 by William Chops Westfield

face picon face
On Dec 24, 2004, at 3:24 AM, Philip Pemberton wrote:

>  Also, has anyone tried Freescale's online samples ordering system?
> How long
> did it take from ordering to delivery?
>
>
I ordered some of their small 6808 USB chips, and they arrived in about
a week (including our internal mail system...)

BillW

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2004 , 2005 only
- Today
- New search...