Searching \ for '[EE]: DB9 connector without shields ?' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=db9+connector+without
Search entire site for: 'DB9 connector without shields ?'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE]: DB9 connector without shields ?'
2007\01\19@073128 by Peter P.

picon face
Hello all,

is there such a thing as a DB9 connector without the outer metal shields ? How
would I search for such a part ?

thanks,
Peter P.


2007\01\19@074902 by Richard Prosser

picon face
Peter,
There certainly is as we have used them in the past. You may have to
just search for it. Is it cable or pcb mount? If cable is it solder or
icd connections. Male or female?
The ones we had were black nylon male & female with idc connection.  I
never saw an outer shell for them though. Sorry, can't look up the
supplier until mid next week when I'm back in NZ but I think they were
AMP parts.

RS and Farnell provide pictures of most of their parts so that may assist.

RP

On 19/01/07, Peter P. <spam_OUTplpeter2006TakeThisOuTspamyahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> is there such a thing as a DB9 connector without the outer metal shields ? How
> would I search for such a part ?
>
> thanks,
> Peter P.
>
>
> -

2007\01\19@075131 by Mike Harrison

flavicon
face
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:20:21 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>is there such a thing as a DB9 connector without the outer metal shields ? How
>would I search for such a part ?
>
>thanks,
>Peter P.

You can certainly get idc ribbon-cable ones that are all plastic.

2007\01\19@075501 by Richard Prosser

picon face
Peter,
There certainly is as we have used them in the past. You may have to
just search for it. Is it cable or pcb mount? If cable is it solder or
icd connections. Male or female?
The ones we had were black nylon male & female with idc connection.  I
never saw an outer shell for them though. Sorry, can't look up the
supplier until mid next week when I'm back in NZ but I think they were
AMP parts.

RS and Farnell provide pictures of most of their parts so that may assist.

RP

On 19/01/07, Peter P. <.....plpeter2006KILLspamspam@spam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> is there such a thing as a DB9 connector without the outer metal shields ? How
> would I search for such a part ?
>
> thanks,
> Peter P.
>
>
> -

2007\01\19@085529 by Peter P.

picon face
Thanks for answering so fast.

I need pcb mount, but actually the kind where the 1.6mm pcb can be wedged
between the two pin rows. This is extremely cost sensitive so I would like to
see something that is competitive with standard DB9s. A pcb connector is also an
option but only if it is cheap.

thanks,
Peter


2007\01\19@091254 by Ruben Jönsson

flavicon
face
I don't know if this helps but there is one exactly like this on the SX-Blitz
SX programmer from parallax.

/Ruben

{Quote hidden}

> -

2007\01\19@095848 by Alan B. Pearce

face picon face
>I need pcb mount, but actually the kind where the 1.6mm pcb
>can be wedged between the two pin rows.

Well, you can certainly do that satisfactorily with a DB series connector.
Many a dongle has been made exactly that way.

>This is extremely cost sensitive so I would like to see
>something that is competitive with standard DB9s.
>A pcb connector is also an option but only if it is cheap.

So why not just use a DB9 connector? Is there a size issue? You describe
wanting a connector like a DB9, so I assume the overall size of the
connector is not a problem.

If you must have it without the outer shell then I would suggest seeing if
AMP or Postitronic or a similar manufacturer will supply the plastic insert
without shell and the poke home pins for a DB9 connector. But the male pins
will then be exposed to potential damage unless extreme care is taken.


2007\01\19@105057 by Peter P.

picon face

Thanks Ruben, this is indeed what I was looking for. Here is a reference picture:

http://www.parallax.com/images/prod_jpg/552-00007.jpg

Any idea where to find it ?

Peter P.


2007\01\19@105814 by Peter P.

picon face
Alan B. Pearce <A.B.Pearce <at> rl.ac.uk> writes:

> If you must have it without the outer shell then I would suggest seeing if
> AMP or Postitronic or a similar manufacturer will supply the plastic insert
> without shell and the poke home pins for a DB9 connector. But the male pins
> will then be exposed to potential damage unless extreme care is taken.

Using a jig for assembly is not unthinkable. The metal shell gets in the way
with the tiny box. I also do not need all the pins and this saves money.

thanks,
Peter P.




2007\01\19@120441 by Wouter van Ooijen

face picon face
>I need pcb mount, but actually the kind where the 1.6mm pcb
>can be wedged between the two pin rows.

Wisp628 uses standard DB9 and DB15 connectors that way:
http://www.voti.nl/wisp628/kit/a7-big.jpg

The available distance between the pins varies a bit between
manuafctureres, you might want try a few samples. I use 'random'
manufacturers, but so far I haven't found a connector that can not be
used this way.

Wouter van Ooijen

-- -------------------------------------------
Van Ooijen Technische Informatica: http://www.voti.nl
consultancy, development, PICmicro products
docent Hogeschool van Utrecht: http://www.voti.nl/hvu


2007\01\19@130034 by Peter P.

picon face
Wouter van Ooijen <wouter <at> voti.nl> writes:

> The available distance between the pins varies a bit between
> manuafctureres, you might want try a few samples. I use 'random'
> manufacturers, but so far I haven't found a connector that can not be
> used this way.

Famous last words ... yes, I know, it is so, unless it's that one time when ...
you know how it works. Murphy takes his cut. Perhaps they improved the design
and there is a plastic ridge between the rows to avoid bridging, or the cup
shape was changed to save material or the pins move too much and after wedging
the board between the pins the pins cannot enter the sockets anymore (wow this
sounds bad - sorry can't help it) ... etc etc. There is no end to this.

Peter P.


2007\01\19@130526 by Peter P.

picon face
Speaking of Wisp: isn't D1 a little too close to IC2 ? Ditto R? and IC1 ?

Peter P.





2007\01\19@135250 by Wouter van Ooijen

face picon face
> > The available distance between the pins varies a bit between
> > manuafctureres, you might want try a few samples. I use 'random'
> > manufacturers, but so far I haven't found a connector that
> can not be
> > used this way.
>
> Famous last words ... yes, I know, it is so, unless it's that
> one time when ...
> you know how it works. Murphy takes his cut. (snip)

That's why I said that for lowest risk you should stick to a brand you
found OK. But in practice Murphy has yet to make his presence on this
aspect. And note that using a DB connector this way is common practice
in al types of small gadgets.

> Speaking of Wisp: isn't D1 a little too close to IC2 ? Ditto R? and
IC1 ?

Probably too close for some rule and for automatic insertion, but not
for hand assembly. I have had quite a few non-functional Wisp628's
returned witha ll kinds of assembly mistakes, but none that coul be
attributed to this close placing. Note that a few had problems with the
soldering of the DB connectors, if I change the PCB I would make the
copper fields a bit longer.

Wouter van Ooijen

-- -------------------------------------------
Van Ooijen Technische Informatica: http://www.voti.nl
consultancy, development, PICmicro products
docent Hogeschool van Utrecht: http://www.voti.nl/hvu


More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2007 , 2008 only
- Today
- New search...