Searching \ for '[EE]: A fool-proof bicycle alarm' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=fool+proof+bicycle
Search entire site for: 'A fool-proof bicycle alarm'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE]: A fool-proof bicycle alarm'
2001\05\29@204455 by Patrik Husfloen

picon face
Hi,
I've spent some long hours trying to figure out a way to construct a bicycle alarm that isn't subject to kids poking at it and having it go off for fun, or just because someone bumped the bike by accident.
I also want the alarm to either 1) hurt like hell, 2) hurt like hell, 3) make a lot of noise that hurts like hell.
I've had my bike stolen about 7 times already and I'm starting to get sick of it, only once did the theives get caught, turned out they were drugged out losers, at least they got sent to jail.

My bike isn't exactly cheap, about $1100 (USD), so spending up to $60-70 wouldn't be too unreasonable.
The last time it got stolen I got really pissed off. I left it outside the house for about 2-3 h before I noticed it was gone, so I called the police etc.
Later that night I was walking my dog and I found the bike (or what was left of it) behind a building, maybe 50m from the house I live in, completely slaughtered, not a _single_ screw was left in the bike.
And they even cut(!) the frame (the only part left) in two just so they could get the read wheel with them, it had one of those big U shaped locks on it.

My dad suggested strapping explosives to it, which isn't a bad idea if it could be made 100% sure no inncent people got hurt or that it wouldn't destroy the bike.

Any ideas are greatly appriciated,

Patrik

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.


2001\05\29@205309 by Nick Veys

flavicon
face
Considering theft deterrant devices that cause damage/harm to the thief are
illegalish, odds are if someone got hurt by your system YOU would be the one
in trouble also, so I'd shy away from that (of course I'm assuming you're in
america, if not, laws may be different).  Maybe try not leaving it outside
your house for hours?  Your only real option would be an extremely loud and
obnoxious alarm in an extremely strong casing, perhaps even inside the frame
of the bike if you can dissassemble it to such an extent to get at the
tubing to install it.  Triggering it with 100% validity and no "accidental"
triggers is the problem alarm makers have been dealing with forever, it's
tough to tackle.

spam_OUTnickTakeThisOuTspamveys.com | http://www.veys.com/nick

> {Original Message removed}

2001\05\29@205324 by David VanHorn

flavicon
face
These sorts of problems should be given to engineering students.

I used to do car alarms, and reached a point where I would not put an alarm
in a convertable for any price. There's no point. Why even lock a
convertable?  Honest people won't take your stuff anyway.
Dishonest people just cut the top.

Bicycles are a similar problem.
You'll find that if you frustrate the thief enough, (BTDT) he'll just trash
it where it sits.
And no, you can't rig it to do anything nasty, unless you enjoy spending
time in jail.

The point of my first statement was, that there are some problems that are
not amenable to a technological solution.
--
Dave's Engineering Page: http://www.dvanhorn.org

I would have a link to FINDU here in my signature line, but due to the
inability of sysadmins at TELOCITY to differentiate a signature line from
the text of an email, I am forbidden to have it.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.


2001\05\29@205916 by Scott Dattalo

face
flavicon
face
On Wed, 30 May 2001, Patrik Husfloen wrote:

> Hi, I've spent some long hours trying to figure out a way to construct a
> bicycle alarm that isn't subject to kids poking at it and having it go off

Patrik,

Just remember, the sum of the weights of a bicycle and its lock is a constant.

Scott

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.


2001\05\29@212619 by Jim Paul

picon face
Take it in the house with you when you're not on it.
Thats what I do.  Haven't had it stolen yet.   Mine
doesn't take up very much room.   And it was only
about $250.00.  Nowhere near yours at $1100.00.


                                               Regards,

                                                   Jim
{Original Message removed}

2001\05\29@212813 by Patrik Husfloen

picon face
Yeah I know hurting people would most likely get me in trouble and it was ment as a joke, if it was unclear I applogize (I blame it on the fact that that it's 3:30 am :)
I guess Mr VanHorn is correct in his statement.

/Patrik
----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Veys" <.....nickKILLspamspam@spam@VEYS.COM>
To: <PICLISTspamKILLspamMITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 2:52 AM
Subject: Re: [EE]: A fool-proof bicycle alarm


{Quote hidden}

> > {Original Message removed}

2001\05\29@213755 by Patrik Husfloen

picon face
Yes, I know
that's what I do know, just anoys the hell out of me that I can't leave it outside for 5 minutes without it getting stolen.


----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Paul" <EraseMEjamespspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTINTERTEX.NET>
To: <PICLISTspamspam_OUTMITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 3:11 AM
Subject: Re: [EE]: A fool-proof bicycle alarm


> Take it in the house with you when you're not on it.
> Thats what I do.  Haven't had it stolen yet.   Mine
> doesn't take up very much room.   And it was only
> about $250.00.  Nowhere near yours at $1100.00.
>
>
>                                                 Regards,
>
>                                                     Jim
> {Original Message removed}

2001\05\29@214043 by Alexandre Domingos F. Souza

flavicon
face
>I've spent some long hours trying to figure out a way to construct a bicycle alarm that isn't subject to kids poking at it and having it go off for fun, or just because someone bumped the bike by accident.

       Remote control anyone? One or two turns of the wheels, comparing speed of runaway??? GPS module in the seat??? :oD

>I also want the alarm to either 1) hurt like hell, 2) hurt like hell, 3) make a lot of noise that hurts like hell.

       Should it be connected to mains? :o)

>I've had my bike stolen about 7 times already and I'm starting to get sick of it, only once did the theives get caught, turned out they were drugged out losers, at least they got sent to jail.

       And you got it back? Wow, you don't live in Brazil :o)

>My bike isn't exactly cheap, about $1100 (USD), so spending up to $60-70 wouldn't be too unreasonable.

       MAN! Go out and buy a BMW! :oPPP

>The last time it got stolen I got really pissed off.

       Who don't?

>I left it outside the house for about 2-3 h before I noticed it was gone, so I called the police etc.

       I wouldn't leave a $1100 cycle outside the house.

>My dad suggested strapping explosives to it, which isn't a bad idea if it could be made 100% sure no inncent people got hurt or that it wouldn't destroy the bike.

       Ok, back to the real world.

       How is your bicycle stolen? Is it thrown inside a van or the mf thief mounts on it and go cycling? For the cycling type of robbers, you can put something in the velocity meter (yep, a $1100 bycicle must have it, eh?) and count 2 or 3 turns. If the alarm is activated, and it sees 2 or 3 turns in more than a second (the man must be running - children or someone who is bothered by the position of your bike will not run with it - will only change it's place slowly), it fires the alarm. But how would it hurt and sound like hell? If you put a power tweeter, surely it will be kicked off before you ever hears it. Of course it could trigger a remote alarm, but people wouldn't see. A GPS antenna below the seat with a simple transmitter, would transmit it's position to your "remote module" or call police with a voice synthesizer (ISD chips anyone?) transmitting via voice the latitude and longitude of your belowed bike.

       Of course it's darn crazy. As it is crazy to have a $1100 bike. But it's YOUR money, not mine. I have a $30 bike and go everywhere with it :o) Your mileage may vary :o)))

       Sorry the sarcastic post, but here you have the solutions, and I can't stop laughting :oD

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.


2001\05\29@214531 by Alexandre Domingos F. Souza

flavicon
face
>I used to do car alarms, and reached a point where I would not put an alarm
>in a convertable for any price. There's no point. Why even lock a
>convertable?  Honest people won't take your stuff anyway.
>Dishonest people just cut the top.

       The last one I did locked the brake, the gear shift and the steering wheel. I'd love to see the F... thief taking that car for him :o)

       Someday I did a test. I left my car opened (a sport model) in a dire street. Next morning, no one touched it

       If someone is crazy enough to left a car opened on that place, there must be something inside of it nasty to the touch! ;oD

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.


2001\05\29@221153 by Bob Blick

face
flavicon
face
>And no, you can't rig it to do anything nasty, unless you enjoy spending
>time in jail.

If you live in Texas it's alright.

-Bob

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.


2001\05\30@064352 by Patrik Husfloen

picon face
Well, uhm, no, I am not getting the bikes back.
Except for the one time where they cought the theves.
And this isn't just  for my bike, bike theft is big problem here and the bike doesn't have to be expensive to be stolen, as long as it resembles a mountainbike and is fairly shiny you can say goodbye to it if you ever were to leave it outside.

{Original Message removed}

2001\05\30@074338 by Patrik Husfloen

picon face
fyi I'm currently not using the bike as it sits on the balcony waiting to be sold.
I have an old (25 years or so) 2-geared bike I'm currently using, works like a charm.

{Original Message removed}

2001\05\30@082755 by Duane Brantley

flavicon
face
Spending $1100 on a bike is not crazy if it is something you like to do.  I
race mountain bikes for fun.  I have a full suspension one that cost $4500.
But, when I'm not on it, it's either in the house, or locked down VERY well
in the back of my truck.  It's not the ppl at the races I don't trust, it's
the ppl in the neighborhood.

Keep on biking...

Duane Brantley
Research and Design Tech
General Bandwidth
Austin, TX

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email @spam@listservKILLspamspammitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2001\05\30@093040 by James Paul

flavicon
face
Patrik,

If what you describe below is true, then the best theft deterrent
would be to come up with a skin or coating that would make your
$1100.00 pro machine look like a derelect from the junk yard.
That way, no one in his (her) right mind would touch it.  Right?

                                            Regards,

                                              Jim





On Wed, 30 May 2001, Patrik Husfloen wrote:

>
> Well, uhm,
> no, I am not getting the bikes back.
> Except for the one time where they cought the theves.
> And this isn't just  for my bike, bike theft is big problem here and the bike doesn't have to be expensive to be stolen, as long as it resembles a mountainbike and is fairly shiny you can say goodbye to it if you ever were to leave it outside.
>
> {Original Message removed}

2001\05\30@093454 by Lawrence Lile

flavicon
face
I didn't spend $1100 on my recumbent, but I did spend several weeks welding,
grinding, painting, re-building and otherwise hacking it together.  I figure
I'd sell it for US$1500.

I know of several recumbents and experimental bikes that have been stolen,
just because they are odd-looking.  One of them was just taken for a joyride
and dumped into the river.

I keep mine under lock and key and out of site as much as possible.

My vote is for a GPS transmitter.


--Lawrence Lile

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Paul" <KILLspamjamespKILLspamspamINTERTEX.NET>
To: <RemoveMEPICLISTTakeThisOuTspamMITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2001 8:11 PM
Subject: Re: [EE]: A fool-proof bicycle alarm


> Take it in the house with you when you're not on it.
> Thats what I do.  Haven't had it stolen yet.   Mine
> doesn't take up very much room.   And it was only
> about $250.00.  Nowhere near yours at $1100.00.
>
>
>                                                 Regards,
>
>                                                     Jim
> {Original Message removed}

2001\05\30@094409 by Scott Newell

flavicon
face
> $1100.00 pro machine look like a derelect from the junk yard.
> That way, no one in his (her) right mind would touch it.  Right?

Go to your local police's unclaimed recovered property auction
sometime...you'll see that people will steal _anything_.


newell

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email spamBeGonelistservspamBeGonespammitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2001\05\30@095444 by Jinx

face picon face
>  If what you describe below is true, then the best theft deterrent
>  would be to come up with a skin or coating that would make your
>  $1100.00 pro machine look like a derelect from the junk yard.
>  That way, no one in his (her) right mind would touch it.  Right?

Works for me. I dress "scruff casual" and I've yet to be kidnapped

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email TakeThisOuTlistservEraseMEspamspam_OUTmitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2001\05\30@102421 by David VanHorn

flavicon
face
>
>My vote is for a GPS transmitter.

Interesting idea, but a sheet of aluminum foil renders it deaf.

--
Dave's Engineering Page: http://www.dvanhorn.org

I would have a link to FINDU here in my signature line, but due to the
inability of sysadmins at TELOCITY to differentiate a signature line from
the text of an email, I am forbidden to have it.

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email RemoveMElistservspamTakeThisOuTmitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2001\05\30@113805 by Matthew Fries

flavicon
face
Perhaps you could use a non-electronic deterrent, like maybe a decal on
the bike that says "Protected by ShockHard(TM) technology". Maybe then the
thieves would think twice about approaching it.



On Wed, 30 May 2001, Patrik Husfloen wrote:

> Well, uhm,
> no, I am not getting the bikes back.
> Except for the one time where they cought the theves.
> And this isn't just  for my bike, bike theft is big problem here and the bike doesn't have to be expensive to be stolen, as long as it resembles a mountainbike and is fairly shiny you can say goodbye to it if you ever were to leave it outside.
>
> {Original Message removed}

2001\05\30@150759 by Patrik Husfloen

picon face
Interesting :)


----- Original Message ----- From: "Matthew Fries" <freezeEraseMEspam.....VISI.COM>
To: <EraseMEPICLISTspamMITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 5:36 PM
Subject: Re: [EE]: A fool-proof bicycle alarm


{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email RemoveMElistservKILLspamspammitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2001\05\30@150805 by Patrik Husfloen

picon face
woops wrong button,
..maybe even add a flashing LED to it. :)
----- Original Message ----- From: "Matthew Fries" <freezeSTOPspamspamspam_OUTVISI.COM>
To: <spamBeGonePICLISTSTOPspamspamEraseMEMITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 5:36 PM
Subject: Re: [EE]: A fool-proof bicycle alarm


{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email .....listservspam_OUTspammitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2001\05\30@201935 by Alexandre Domingos F. Souza

flavicon
face
>Spending $1100 on a bike is not crazy if it is something you like to do.  I
>race mountain bikes for fun.  I have a full suspension one that cost $4500.
>But, when I'm not on it, it's either in the house, or locked down VERY well
>in the back of my truck.  It's not the ppl at the races I don't trust, it's
>the ppl in the neighborhood.

       Man...I understand your point of view...but...4500???

       Wow...Got no words :oP

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email TakeThisOuTlistserv.....spamTakeThisOuTmitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2001\05\30@222710 by Craig Lee

flavicon
face
How about a video camera in the seat, then you could sell the video to
both Americas Most Wanted and Americas Funniest Videos.  I betcha Bob
Sagat would loooove that one.  What a homo.

Craig

{Original Message removed}

2001\05\30@230940 by Tony Nixon

flavicon
picon face
In my opinion, you have no chance protecting the bike except maybe
chaining it to yourself. If you fall asleep however, it will be gone
when you wake up.

If it's worth that much, insure the thing. You'd have more luck getting
your money back from them than the bike back from the thief. Hang on,
maybe not.....:-)


A motorcyle was chainned to a parking sign post while the owner went off
to do something. When he returned the bike was gone. A week or so later,
a letter arrived for him. In it was a bill from the thief for
reimbursement for the extra work he had to do to cut the bike free. The
address was 'aquired' by the motor vehicle registration. I didn't hear
if there was a return address or not ;-)


--
Best regards

Tony

mICros
http://www.bubblesoftonline.com
TakeThisOuTsalesKILLspamspamspambubblesoftonline.com

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email .....listservspamRemoveMEmitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2001\05\31@061149 by Howard McGinnis

flavicon
face
Get a big dog. Really big. Chain him to the bike. And tell him the bike
belongs to him. Call him Pic.

Howard

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
RemoveMEpiclist-unsubscribe-requestspamspamBeGonemitvma.mit.edu


2001\05\31@131222 by Peter L. Peres

picon face
Use an alarm with thread (the kind that you tear off with some difficulty)
and have a large flacon of superglue pour its contents with some pressure
at strategic places on the bike (seat, handles, frame middle). It should
be removable later using acetone. ;-) An ISD chip yelling thief! thief! I
am a stolen bike! would accompany this. ;-)

Peter

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
spamBeGonepiclist-unsubscribe-request@spam@spamspam_OUTmitvma.mit.edu


2001\05\31@140434 by P.C. Uiterlinden

flavicon
face
Scott Dattalo wrote:

>
> Just remember, the sum of the weights of a bicycle and its lock is a constant.

Heheheh, good one!

By observation I learned another rule: the faster the bike is, the
slower the lock.

Paul.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
TakeThisOuTpiclist-unsubscribe-requestspamspammitvma.mit.edu


2001\05\31@145512 by Ron Wilder

flavicon
face
What about some super glue tubes with self piercing pins located in a soft cover
that goes inside of a soft seat cover.  You know... like those Gel Seats.  Only the
spikes continue through the seat cover into the thief's butt.  the contacts could be
charged.  Now if the glue really set FAST then you could deliver constant sparks to
the thief so the he/she would be the alarm itself... Owwwwww...  Wouldn't need to
much electronics for this one....
Ron

"P.C. Uiterlinden" wrote:

{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
RemoveMEpiclist-unsubscribe-requestEraseMEspamspam_OUTmitvma.mit.edu


2001\05\31@155754 by Tom Bratton

flavicon
face
There was a suggestion  on sci.electronics.basic some time  ago for a high
voltage (non-lethal) generator that fired when the bike reached a certain speed.


It required a dynamo/lighting generator - not so common nowadays - but a PIC
and a dc supply could no doubt be used instead...

This still wouldn't stop the thief who simply hoists the bike onto a truck, of
course, and if I fitted one to my bike I'd need an Early Warning bleep for the
times I forgot to disable it .

You litigation-conscious  fellows would no doubt panic at such an idea, of
course.  We mustn't do anything to hurt the poor thieving sod who was no doubt
abused as a child and never taught  right from wrong....

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
@spam@piclist-unsubscribe-requestRemoveMEspamEraseMEmitvma.mit.edu


2001\05\31@165005 by Peter Barick

flavicon
face
PICsters,

Tom raises the bar begging the question of propriety while devising
revenge.
Unbelievable. Judge, Jury, Executioner!

This thread was initially tragic (the loss) then became a bit
irreverent (the loss prevention techniques), but now is getting sinister
with Tom's idea for retribution. Yes, Tom, time to "panic."

May I remind that there are no absolutes in life (okay, death and
taxes) and from time to time acts like these happen. We pay good taxes
for a police force, can't we let them do their job for issues like
these? And further, a crime is only committed when the authorities
determine so. E.g., say my wallet is missing from my usual pocket. Ok,
was it taken by a pickpocket or was it (likely) misplaced by me? Should
it also be booby trapped?

Pax vobiscum

PeterB

>>> EraseMEtom.brattonspam@spam@BTINTERNET.COM 05/31/01 02:58PM >>>
<<klip>>
>>It required a dynamo

>>You litigation-conscious  fellows would no doubt panic at such an
idea, of
>>course.  We mustn't do anything to hurt the poor thieving sod who was
no doubt
>>abused as a child and never taught  right from wrong....

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
@spam@piclist-unsubscribe-requestspam_OUTspam.....mitvma.mit.edu


2001\05\31@171824 by Scott Stephens

picon face
From: Tom Bratton <spamBeGonetom.brattonEraseMEspamBTINTERNET.COM>


>There was a suggestion  on sci.electronics.basic some time  ago for a high
>voltage (non-lethal) generator that fired when the bike reached a certain
speed.
>...
>You litigation-conscious  fellows would no doubt panic at such an idea, of
>course.  We mustn't do anything to hurt the poor thieving sod who was no
doubt
>abused as a child and never taught  right from wrong....

Booby traps are often dangerous to the user. Sure you would always remember
to disarm it? Now an RFID, using a microwave patch, schottkey diode and PIC
to transpond the IFF code would be cool.

Something like that would be great for wallets, purses, children, pets, et.
Anything you don't want to get a distance away. Triangulation is even
possible. Tag yourself, tag your goodies, and let your PDA mind their
location. It could even dispatch snuff-bots to retrieve them 8^)

Checkout http://www.aetherwire.com/Aether_Wire/aether.html

The poor abused theiving sod probably knows right from wrong, but has
learned authority, the system, is 'always right' - 'right' being defined by
deception, delusion and force as a last resort. Applying further force will
just harden rather than teach right from wrong. But your property will be
respected 8^)

Do you really want to kill or beat half to death an opportunist punk too
poor to afford a bike, or the filthy-rich lawyers, judges and politicians
that extort your business, that send armed goons to assault you? If you
forgive a desperate fool, he may one day change. But if you forgive a
predator (can anyone remember Bill Clinton's 'prayer' breakfast?) he will
count your virtue as a vice, a moral weakness.

http://www.freedomsnest.com/rummel_totals.html - Why American's love their
guns!

(I havn't recovered from Daschel and Gephardt explaining to me why they
can't afford to return a pittance of the excess tax they demanded from me!
And such a large refund! Why, I only feel like I have a leech, what was it,
38% rather than 40% (?) of my weight on my back!

Scott

****************************************************************
Freedom is persuing your carrot, not running from a stick.
The mob only rules what its members are allowed to achieve.
****************************************************************

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
piclist-unsubscribe-requestspamBeGonespammitvma.mit.edu


2001\05\31@180810 by David VanHorn

flavicon
face
The one thing I did do, along these lines:

Years ago, I had a generator powered light.  It had two outputs on the gen.
6V for the tail light and head light, and 100V for a flourescent light.
I had a conductive foil in the seat connected through a switch, to the 100V
output.
Of course the gen had to be engaged, and the thief would have had to be
riding, but it was an amusing idea anyway.


This was before transistor inverters were popular/practical.
--
Dave's Engineering Page: http://www.dvanhorn.org

I would have a link to FINDU here in my signature line, but due to the
inability of sysadmins at TELOCITY to differentiate a signature line from
the text of an email, I am forbidden to have it.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
RemoveMEpiclist-unsubscribe-request@spam@spamspamBeGonemitvma.mit.edu



'[EE]: A fool-proof bicycle alarm'
2001\06\01@102525 by Ken Walker
flavicon
picon face
My friend says the best deterrent he's seen was in Germany....the guy had a
spike recessed in the middle of the seat, which with a key locked it in the
sticking out position. Nobody's gonna sit on that....

{Original Message removed}

2001\06\01@141557 by Andy N1YEW

picon face
no dont use a spike use a diving knife ;)

andy (ps they are ebay for like 20 bucks a pop)
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Walker" <.....ken.walker@spam@spamEraseMETEXTILES.UMIST.AC.UK>
To: <.....PICLISTRemoveMEspamMITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2001 10:22 AM
Subject: Re: [EE]: A fool-proof bicycle alarm


> My friend says the best deterrent he's seen was in Germany....the guy had
a
> spike recessed in the middle of the seat, which with a key locked it in
the
> sticking out position. Nobody's gonna sit on that....
>
> {Original Message removed}

2001\06\01@192254 by Alexandre Domingos F. Souza

flavicon
face
>Get a big dog. Really big. Chain him to the bike. And tell him the bike
>belongs to him. Call him Pic.

       What if he doesn't like to share his bike with the owner? :o)

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2001\06\07@035000 by D Lloyd

flavicon
face
part 1 4505 bytes content-type:text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Hi,

Not much is going to be effective......If someone is determined enough to
steal something, they will......take a wheel off and they will throw it
into the back of a van. Lock it down and they will turn up with a large set
of bolt croppers. You cannot win, unfortunately, except to keep it in a
place where is raises the stakes for someone to steal it - like in your
house.

Dan




(Embedded     Patrik Husfloen <.....u58611234STOPspamspam@spam@TELIA.COM>STOPspamspam@spam@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>> image moved   30/05/2001 02:29
to file:
pic05436.pcx)





Please respond to pic microcontroller discussion list
     <
PICLISTEraseMEspam@spam@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Sent by:  pic microcontroller discussion list <RemoveMEPICLISTspamspamBeGoneMITVMA.MIT.EDU>


To:   spamBeGonePICLISTKILLspamspam@spam@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
cc:
Subject:  Re: [EE]: A fool-proof bicycle alarm

Security Level:?         Internal


Yeah I know hurting people would most likely get me in trouble and it was
ment as a joke, if it was unclear I applogize (I blame it on the fact that
that it's 3:30 am :)
I guess Mr VanHorn is correct in his statement.

/Patrik
----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Veys" <nickspam_OUTspam@spam@VEYS.COM>
To: <spamBeGonePICLIST@spam@spamMITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 2:52 AM
Subject: Re: [EE]: A fool-proof bicycle alarm


> Considering theft deterrant devices that cause damage/harm to the thief
are
> illegalish, odds are if someone got hurt by your system YOU would be the
one
> in trouble also, so I'd shy away from that (of course I'm assuming you're
in
> america, if not, laws may be different).  Maybe try not leaving it
outside
> your house for hours?  Your only real option would be an extremely loud
and
> obnoxious alarm in an extremely strong casing, perhaps even inside the
frame
> of the bike if you can dissassemble it to such an extent to get at the
> tubing to install it.  Triggering it with 100% validity and no
"accidental"
> triggers is the problem alarm makers have been dealing with forever, it's
> tough to tackle.
>
> RemoveMEnickEraseMEspamKILLspamveys.com | http://www.veys.com/nick
>
> > {Original Message removed}
part 2 165 bytes content-type:application/octet-stream; (decode)

part 3 144 bytes
--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics


2001\06\09@090628 by Craig Lee

flavicon
face
I still think the best way is to have a hidden telemetry transmitter.
That way you can catch the sob and inflict a different kind of pain.

{Original Message removed}

2001\06\10@131751 by Alan Shinn

picon face
Subject: Re: [EE]: A fool-proof bicycle alarm

So, all you can do is take your bike out of the house, ride around, and
then go home? Usually, when I use my bike, I go and do something like
shop or a movie or etc. I think I'll stick to my $99 bike thanks.
Perhaps some folks should have 2 bikes, one cheapie for "work" and then
the $2K bike for pleasure/racing etc.
I liked the transmitter idea by the way, like the guy said - "cause pain
in another way" - legally!
Perhaps we could start a rumor / hoax whereby the media would disclaim a
mad bomber who leaves expensive bicycles around with exploding seats.
Front page coverage with pics (there! back on topic) of guys in the
hospital with their groins all bandaged and whining that "all they were
doing was stealing a stupid bike, it's not fair to be so maimed and
dis-manned for that" etc.

>Hi,

Not much is going to be effective ...... If someone is determined enough to
steal something, they will ...... take a wheel off and they will throw it
into the back of a van. Lock it down and they will turn up with a large set
of bolt croppers. You cannot win, unfortunately, except to keep it in a
place where is raises the stakes for someone to steal it - like in your
house.

>Dan

If bolt cutters are outlawed, only outlaws will own bolt cutters!

So, I guess that there is plenty of space in the tubes to hide a
transmitter but how can we deal with a secret antenna? Perhaps a loop in
the seat? Should it be a transponder or should it just be triggered by
theft (how??) and then run continuously?
--
Looking forward:
Alan Shinn


Experience the
beginnings of microscopy.
Make your own replica
of one of Antony van Leeuwenhoek's microscopes.
visit    http://www.mindspring.com/~alshinn/

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
spamBeGonepiclist-unsubscribe-requestspam_OUTspamRemoveMEmitvma.mit.edu


2001\06\10@132159 by Alexandre Domingos F. Souza

flavicon
face
>Perhaps we could start a rumor / hoax whereby the media would disclaim a
>mad bomber who leaves expensive bicycles around with exploding seats.
>Front page coverage with pics (there! back on topic) of guys in the
>hospital with their groins all bandaged and whining that "all they were
>doing was stealing a stupid bike, it's not fair to be so maimed and
>dis-manned for that" etc.

       Sorry, I had enough of that with the "bonsai kitten" subject :oP


---8<---Corte aqui---8<----

Alexandre Souza
.....taitospamRemoveMEterra.com.br
http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/pinball/

---8<---Corte aqui---8<----

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
piclist-unsubscribe-requestspam@spam@mitvma.mit.edu


2001\06\10@151004 by Patrik Husfloen

picon face
Sounds interesting, there's plenty of space in the frame and I suppose you could create some tough container to put it in to prevent it from being removed and smashed, perhaps some sort of expander on it and a 20" (about 50cm) "screwdriver" to lock it in place inside the frame.
the antenna is a bit of a problem though, if one could use the actual frame as an antenna that would be cool, I don't know much about RF or EE for that matter.

I suppose something similar to what you use to track your dog when your out hunting,
the dog wears a beacon and you have a directional receiver you turn 360 degrees and see from what direction the signal is the strongest.
Sure GPS etc is valid but also expensive and very complicated.

It would be fun to see if this could put into real use.

Any ideas/suggestions?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Lee" <EraseMEpicmeRemoveMEspamSTOPspamENLIGHT.CA>
To: <RemoveMEPICLISTKILLspamspamTakeThisOuTMITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2001 3:03 PM
Subject: Re: [EE]: A fool-proof bicycle alarm


> I still think the best way is to have a hidden telemetry transmitter.
> That way you can catch the sob and inflict a different kind of pain.
>
> {Original Message removed}

2001\06\10@162455 by Anders_Mejl=E6nder_Jakhelln?=

flavicon
face
Tracking down a beacon in a city area can be difficult, but speaking about GPS...

If you wire up a GPS, GSM module, a PIC and some software you will not have an alarm, but more like a very good tracking system. To locate your bike just send your secret kode to your bike as a SMS, and it will return the exact location of the bike within seconds.

Of course this would be a dream device, because you will meet a lot of problems like charging, antennas, fitting it into the frame bla bla bla...
For a car, a device like this would be nice and not to expensive, but for a bike?

Everything needed is available at resonable costs (anyone care to build one?)
I don't know how the cellphone systems work in the US, but you probably have something like the GSM system with the capability to send short text messages.

Anders

----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrik Husfloen" <spamBeGoneu58611234spam@spam@TELIA.COM>
To: <RemoveMEPICLISTspam_OUTspamMITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2001 9:11 PM
Subject: Re: [EE]: A fool-proof bicycle alarm


Sounds interesting, there's plenty of space in the frame and I suppose you could create some tough container to put it in to prevent it from being removed and smashed, perhaps some sort of expander on it and a 20" (about 50cm) "screwdriver" to lock it in place inside the frame.
the antenna is a bit of a problem though, if one could use the actual frame as an antenna that would be cool, I don't know much about RF or EE for that matter.

I suppose something similar to what you use to track your dog when your out hunting,
the dog wears a beacon and you have a directional receiver you turn 360 degrees and see from what direction the signal is the strongest.
Sure GPS etc is valid but also expensive and very complicated.

It would be fun to see if this could put into real use.

Any ideas/suggestions?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Lee" <picmespamspamENLIGHT.CA>
To: <spam_OUTPICLISTspam_OUTspamspam_OUTMITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2001 3:03 PM
Subject: Re: [EE]: A fool-proof bicycle alarm


> I still think the best way is to have a hidden telemetry transmitter.
> That way you can catch the sob and inflict a different kind of pain.
>
> {Original Message removed}

2001\06\10@162924 by David VanHorn

flavicon
face
At 10:13 PM 6/10/01 +0200, Anders Mejlænder Jakhelln wrote:
>Tracking down a beacon in a city area can be difficult, but speaking about
>GPS...
>
>If you wire up a GPS, GSM module, a PIC and some software you will not
>have an alarm, but more like a very good tracking system. To locate your
>bike just send your secret kode to your bike as a SMS, and it will return
>the exact location of the bike within seconds.
>
>Of course this would be a dream device, because you will meet a lot of
>problems like charging, antennas, fitting it into the frame bla bla bla...
>For a car, a device like this would be nice and not to expensive, but for
>a bike?
>
>Everything needed is available at resonable costs (anyone care to build one?)
>I don't know how the cellphone systems work in the US, but you probably
>have something like the GSM system with the capability to send short text
>messages.

Click the link in my sig, or visit http://www.aprs.net
--
Dave's Engineering Page: http://www.dvanhorn.org

I would have a link to http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?KC6ETE-9 here in my signature line, but due to the inability of sysadmins at TELOCITY to differentiate a signature line from the text of an email, I am forbidden to have it.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
piclist-unsubscribe-requestspam_OUTspammitvma.mit.edu


2001\06\10@174733 by Bob Barr

picon face
David VanHorn wrote:

<snip>

>Click the link in my sig, or visit http://www.aprs.net
>--
>Dave's Engineering Page: http://www.dvanhorn.org
>
>I would have a link to http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?KC6ETE-9 here
>in my signature line, but due to the inability of sysadmins at TELOCITY to
>differentiate a signature line from the text of an email, I am forbidden to
>have it.
>

What used to appear as "FINDU" in your sig now appears as a link. At least
to my mail reader (hotmail), it does.

Has Telocity smartened up or did you find another way to do it?

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
RemoveMEpiclist-unsubscribe-requestKILLspamspam@spam@mitvma.mit.edu


2001\06\10@175542 by David VanHorn

flavicon
face
>
>Has Telocity smartened up or did you find another way to do it?

I re-wrote it, to be an oxymoron, like their support staff. :)

--
Dave's Engineering Page: http://www.dvanhorn.org

I would have a link to http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?KC6ETE-9 here
in my signature line, but due to the inability of sysadmins at TELOCITY to
differentiate a signature line from the text of an email, I am forbidden to
have it.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
piclist-unsubscribe-requestspamBeGonespam.....mitvma.mit.edu


2001\06\11@102428 by Dale Botkin

flavicon
face
On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, David VanHorn wrote:

{Quote hidden}

Interesting related note:

A friend of mine had a handheld ham radio stolen.  This handheld had a
GPS/APRS setup built in (don't know what type it was/is).  About two years
later, apparently someone decides to try to use it... the radio powers up
and silently starts transmtting hs call sign and GPS-determined
coordinates to the APRS net.  Another ham, knowing the ham whose rig was
stolen has long since moved out of town, called the owner to report the
exact location of the stolen radio.

One of these days I need to find out how that story ended, it's an
interesting APRS story (and a true one).

dale
-- A train stops at a train station.  A bus stops at a bus station.
On my desk I have a workstation...

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2001\06\11@230451 by mark

flavicon
face
On 11 Jun 2001, at 0:05, Automatic digest processor wrote:

{Quote hidden}

I have already done that for some clients here in Brasil.

Just a GPS, an Atmel uP board and a CellPhone or a Radio to send
the car position.

But for a bike you'll have to manage some problems, like GPS power
requirements and antennas mainly.

Regards.

---
Marcelo Puhl
spam_OUTmarkspamKILLspamcatolico.com.br
http://py3ss.cjb.net

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2001 , 2002 only
- Today
- New search...