Searching \ for '[EE]: 1 kW Fuel Cell' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=fuel+cell
Search entire site for: '1 kW Fuel Cell'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE]: 1 kW Fuel Cell'
2002\12\03@194924 by Russell McMahon

face
flavicon
face
Typical commercial offering
$US6000
1 kW Hydrogen / Oxygen
Sine Wave output.
Integrated with sine wave inverter & support equipment.

   http://www.fuelcellstore.com/products/coleman/airgen.html

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2002\12\03@201659 by Josh Koffman

flavicon
face
I see you get the email newsletter as well :) I'm curious as to
Coleman's involvement in all this. Do they sponsor research, or just
repackage Ballard's stuff?

Josh
--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools.
       -Douglas Adams

Russell McMahon wrote:
> Typical commercial offering
> $US6000
> 1 kW Hydrogen / Oxygen
> Sine Wave output.
> Integrated with sine wave inverter & support equipment.
>
>     http://www.fuelcellstore.com/products/coleman/airgen.html

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2002\12\05@093336 by Jim

flavicon
face
You know, Russell, this is actually an "Emergency Backup
Power System Featuring [the use of] Fuel Cell Technology"
featuring built-in batteries as well as a 60 Hz sine-wave
inverter and appropriate 'cutover' circuitry.

It appears as though this unit is suitable for use inside
in an office environment (something one could not do with
the average gasoline-powered generator!).

They also store the hydrogen in their "AirGenTM canisters"
resembling small fire extinguishers and which make use of
"metal hydrides" resulting in the storage of the hydrogen at
low-pressure.

An interesting product ...

Rf Jim

{Original Message removed}

2002\12\05@100922 by Andy Kunz

flavicon
face
My brother worked on a similar device here, and the company I work for did
the inverters for it.

Kewl Schtuff.

Andy


At 08:33 AM 12/5/02 -0600, you wrote:
{Quote hidden}

>{Original Message removed}

2002\12\05@140520 by Peter L. Peres

picon face
On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Jim wrote:

*>You know, Russell, this is actually an "Emergency Backup
*>Power System Featuring [the use of] Fuel Cell Technology"
*>featuring built-in batteries as well as a 60 Hz sine-wave
*>inverter and appropriate 'cutover' circuitry.
*>
*>It appears as though this unit is suitable for use inside
*>in an office environment (something one could not do with
*>the average gasoline-powered generator!).

Sure you can. Newer gens under 3kW are suitcase sized, complete with
handle on top and covered sides, electronically regulated, and about as
quiet as a fridge in poor state of repair. Just put in the next room,
and hang the exhaust hose (yes, it's a hose) out of window.

Peter

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.


2002\12\05@193041 by Jim

flavicon
face
At a cost of under 1/20 of the cost of this
'Fuel Cell' unit - I think I'll be running an
extension cord INTO the dwelling/office from a
conventionally-fueled generator located outside
as opposed to routing an 'exhaust' hose OUT a
window (and spending x times more for special
hydrogen canisters) ...

Now, if I were in a 110 story building on say the
90th floor - that 6,000 USD Fuel-Celled device might
be the only option (in which case I would be routing
the 'exhaust' hose into a drain).

BTW, the notation on the website for this particular
unit notes that models designed for use in an 'office'
environ per se (as opposed to a computer room) are
"coming soon".

RF Jim


{Original Message removed}

2002\12\06@023525 by Brendan Moran

flavicon
face
At 08:45 PM 03/12/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>I see you get the email newsletter as well :) I'm curious as to
>Coleman's involvement in all this. Do they sponsor research, or just
>repackage Ballard's stuff?

I recently attended a presentation put on by Ballard about their
technology, and company in general.

The Coleman units come in two varieties, it seems: transportable and
non-transportable. The type that were discussed at the presentation were
based on a butane reformer which produced CO2 and H2 which was then run
through the fuel cell.

It seems that it is illegal in many places to transport a charged metal
hydride, so any units that use that will have to be stationary.

Coleman has the camping market in mind for the butane version, I think.

--Brendan

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email spam_OUTlistservTakeThisOuTspammitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2002\12\06@024611 by Peter L. Peres

picon face
On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Jim wrote:

*>At a cost of under 1/20 of the cost of this
*>'Fuel Cell' unit - I think I'll be running an
*>extension cord INTO the dwelling/office from a
*>conventionally-fueled generator located outside
*>as opposed to routing an 'exhaust' hose OUT a
*>window (and spending x times more for special
*>hydrogen canisters) ...

The exhaust hose I mentioned is the exhaust hose of a conventional
generator. That's what the suitcase shaped fridge-noise-making ones are.
They run on normal gasoline or alcohool (no smell - well, some). Maybe I
was not clear enough. Try Honda and Robin for manufacturers.

Peter

*>Now, if I were in a 110 story building on say the
*>90th floor - that 6,000 USD Fuel-Celled device might
*>be the only option (in which case I would be routing
*>the 'exhaust' hose into a drain).

No, the suitcase format conventional genny will be much cheaper (for now).
Just open a window and hang out the hose ...

Peter

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email .....listservKILLspamspam@spam@mitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2002 , 2003 only
- Today
- New search...