Searching \ for '[EE]: Best way to detect current flow in 110VAC c' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/language/index.htm?key=c
Search entire site for: 'Best way to detect current flow in 110VAC c'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE]: Best way to detect current flow in 110VAC c'
2007\02\22@222301 by Cedric Chang

flavicon
face
I am looking for suggestions on the cheapest way to build a circuit
that will sound an alarm if current is being drawn in a 110VAC circuit.
I want it to be cheap, cheap and be powered by the 110VAC.

I have a bad habit of leaving soldering irons,  hot glue guns and  
test equipment
on for days when I leave the lab.  I want to have something that  
beeps every
X minutes ( when power is being consumed )  and if I don't push a  
button to reset
 it, it gets more and more belligerent.

I would plug things I typically forget into a power strip that  
contains this module.

I supposed a resettable timer would work as well, but it is not as cool.

Cedric


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Cedric Chang

adding " spam2006 " bypasses my spam blocker.  Please place in the  
text or at the END of the subject line.
( i am hard to reach by phone )
All ideas, text, drawings and audio , that are originated by me,  and  
included with this signature text are to be deemed to be released to  
the public domain as of the date of this communication .  CC
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^


2007\02\23@025723 by peter green

flavicon
face


> -----Original Message-----
> From: spam_OUTpiclist-bouncesTakeThisOuTspammit.edu [.....piclist-bouncesKILLspamspam@spam@mit.edu]On Behalf
> Of Cedric Chang
> Sent: 23 February 2007 03:23
> To: Microcontroller discussion list - Public.
> Subject: [EE]: Best way to detect current flow in 110VAC circuit
>
>
> I am looking for suggestions on the cheapest way to build a circuit
> that will sound an alarm if current is being drawn in a 110VAC circuit.
> I want it to be cheap, cheap and be powered by the 110VAC.
put your cuircuits "ground" point at the incoming mains live.

for power assuming you only need a small ammount of it use a resistive drop with a diode zener and capacitor to get a reasonablly regulated supply

then for detection put a shunt resistance (say 0.1 ohm 20W) in series with the output and handle the voltage on the other side of this like any other low voltage signal (at 13A it will be 1.3V AC relative to the incoming mains live).

DO NOT TOUCH THIS CUIRCUIT WHILE IT IS TURNED ON AND REMEMBER TO USE A SUITABLE ENCLOSURE AS THE WHOLE CUIRCUIT WILL BE LIVE.

{Quote hidden}

> --


'[EE]: Best way to detect current flow in 110VAC c'
2007\03\03@025730 by Robert Rolf
picon face
>>From: piclist-bouncesspamKILLspammit.edu [.....piclist-bouncesKILLspamspam.....mit.edu]On Behalf
>>Of Cedric Chang
>>Sent: 23 February 2007 03:23
>>To: Microcontroller discussion list - Public.
>>Subject: [EE]: Best way to detect current flow in 110VAC circuit
>>
>>
>>I am looking for suggestions on the cheapest way to build a circuit
>>that will sound an alarm if current is being drawn in a 110VAC circuit.
>>I want it to be cheap, cheap and be powered by the 110VAC.
>>
>>I supposed a resettable timer would work as well, but it is not as cool.

That's what I did.
Cheap 24 hr timer with just OFF pins in it. I manually turn it on, and the
timer turns itself off at 'useful' times (like 4PM, 8PM, 10PM, 12AM.
If it trips while I'm working I just turn it back on.

There are also electronic ones that have up to 20 events/day, but I like the
fact that I hear a loud "CLICK" when it shuts of while I'm working.

Robert

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2007 , 2008 only
- Today
- New search...