Searching \ for '[EE:] Looking for work' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=looking+work
Search entire site for: 'Looking for work'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE:] Looking for work'
2004\06\19@145832 by David VanHorn

flavicon
face
Maybe I'm going about it wrong, but I'm looking for work, and not having a lot of success.  I am probably the world's worst resume writer.

Maybe someone on the list knows of a chair that needs filling.

Location isn't much of an issue, I can telecommute (have been for the last 10 years) or I can work on site, either in the US, or abroad. I've worked on assignments as long as 90 days in Taiwan, Mexico, and Canada.
Relocation is workable. For positions at any distance from Muncie IN, I would probably bilocate for a while, to make sure the situation works out before committing my family to a long move.

I've got 20 years experience in hardware and software.  If you've ever bought anything with a credit card, chances are you used something I've designed.  I've worked with the Z-80, Z-8, 8051, PIC, and AVR processors, mostly in assembly.

I'm on a first name basis with most debugging gear, Emulation, Logic analyzers, protocol analyzers, etc. I've built my own instrumentation for unusual problems, or where I couldn't find/get the right gear in time.
I own a full suite of test equipment for analog, digital, and RF work through 1.8 GHz.

I have two patents, one in PCB layout.

I'm familiar with magnetic read head design, having worked with Vikron fine tuning heads for MICR readers, and designing Verifone's mag card readers, as well as their telco interfaces and general system design.

I don't DO injection mold design, but I've supervised it, as well as industrial and human factors engineering for various projects. Some were tight tolerance work involving gears, others just moderately complicated enclosures.

I'm pretty good with RFI/EMI, I've only failed part 15 once, and almost all of my designs are plastic enclosures on two layer boards, with uPs, SMPS's and other noisemakers.

I've solved a lot of pretty arcane problems over the years.

No degree though, which seems to be the "kiss of death"..

Resume and references on request.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
spam_OUTpiclist-unsubscribe-requestTakeThisOuTspammitvma.mit.edu

2004\06\19@165600 by Kevin

flavicon
face
Olin is looking
http://www.embedinc.com/jobopen.asp

Good Luck,
         Kevin

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
.....piclist-unsubscribe-requestKILLspamspam@spam@mitvma.mit.edu

2004\06\29@023606 by William Chops Westfield

face picon face
On Jun 19, 2004, at 11:58 AM, David VanHorn wrote:

> I am probably the world's worst resume writer.

I looked at Dave's resume, and sent him some private comments (Dave:
did you get those?)  However, the generalities may be of wider
interest.

My main complaint was that the resume was "keyword poor."  In order to
get past HR drones and/or their software, you want your resume to
contain words and phrases that they are looking for but don't really
understand.  That means you shouldn't paraphrase.  HR drones aren't
going to know that an AVR8515 is really an AT90S8515, or that you
probably don't do a project with one without getting at least a passing
familiarity with  AVRStudio.  More primitive HR drones won't even
recognize that as an "embedded system microcontroller."

A resume ought to contain a lot of "industry standard names" for stuff
you've done, chips you've chosen, tools you've used, and processes you
understand.  Don't worry if it looks like an advertisement.  It *IS*...

(OTOH, while I've been a hiring manager, I don't think I've ever gotten
a job interview based wholely on my resume...  YMMV.)

BillW

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
piclist-unsubscribe-requestspamKILLspammitvma.mit.edu

2004\06\29@024437 by David VanHorn

flavicon
face
At 11:35 PM 6/28/2004 -0700, William Chops Westfield wrote:

>On Jun 19, 2004, at 11:58 AM, David VanHorn wrote:
>
>>I am probably the world's worst resume writer.
>
>I looked at Dave's resume, and sent him some private comments (Dave:
>did you get those?)  However, the generalities may be of wider
>interest.

No, I didn't or I missed them.
Did you look at the online one, or the one I'm sending out?

>My main complaint was that the resume was "keyword poor."  In order to
>get past HR drones and/or their software, you want your resume to
>contain words and phrases that they are looking for but don't really
>understand.  That means you shouldn't paraphrase.  HR drones aren't
>going to know that an AVR8515 is really an AT90S8515, or that you
>probably don't do a project with one without getting at least a passing
>familiarity with  AVRStudio.  More primitive HR drones won't even
>recognize that as an "embedded system microcontroller."

I see what you mean, but then how do you keep it short?
Arrggh. Getting the job is turning out to be 5x harder than DOING the job.

>A resume ought to contain a lot of "industry standard names" for stuff
>you've done, chips you've chosen, tools you've used, and processes you
>understand.  Don't worry if it looks like an advertisement.  It *IS*...

I am also not known for being an aggressive self-promoter.
:)

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
.....piclist-unsubscribe-requestKILLspamspam.....mitvma.mit.edu

2004\06\29@025720 by David VanHorn

flavicon
face
And where do I mention the extremely low-cost, UV reactive simulant for weaponized anthrax that I developed in my spare time, saving our county thousands of dollars, and helping to better train our emergency responders?

(no kidding)

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
EraseMEpiclist-unsubscribe-requestspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTmitvma.mit.edu

2004\06\29@030341 by David P Harris

picon face
David VanHorn wrote:

>And where do I mention the extremely low-cost, UV reactive simulant for weaponized anthrax that I developed in my spare time, saving our county thousands of dollars, and helping to better train our emergency responders?
>
>(no kidding)
>
>--
>http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
>piclist-unsubscribe-requestspamspam_OUTmitvma.mit.edu
>
>
>
I'd say you have to tailor your resume depending on the job you are
applying for, so this may, or ma not, be appropriate.  Do you enjoy
research?  Maybe you should look there, too.
Are you in Vancouver?
David

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
@spam@piclist-unsubscribe-requestKILLspamspammitvma.mit.edu

2004\06\29@032913 by David VanHorn

flavicon
face
>I'd say you have to tailor your resume depending on the job you are
>applying for, so this may, or ma not, be appropriate.  Do you enjoy
>research?  Maybe you should look there, too.

That's just a hobby. I've done volunteer work with the local EMA since '98, and I'm also the county Skywarn coordinator. Severe storm observation and reporting, not to be confused with storm chasers, we are the guys whose observations end up in a "push or don't push" decision on the county storm sirens.  Our local program takes training way beyond what the national weather service offers, and also gets involved with search and rescue, hazmat incidents, downed power lines, and a bunch of fun stuff.

>Are you in Vancouver?
>David

For the right price, I'll relocate or commute just about anywhere.
At the moment, I'm in Muncie IN, USA.

My most recent employer was based in Vancouver BC, with work happening there, in Washington state, Georgia, here in Indiana of course, and Wisconsin.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
KILLspampiclist-unsubscribe-requestKILLspamspammitvma.mit.edu

2004\06\29@033533 by David P Harris

picon face
David VanHorn wrote:

{Quote hidden}

Oh, I thought you were in Vancouver based on that employer.  Anyway, I
have faith you will find a good job quickly, based on what I have seen
here '":')
So keep up your spirits ad send out those resumes.
David

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
spamBeGonepiclist-unsubscribe-requestspamBeGonespammitvma.mit.edu


'[EE:] Looking for work'
2004\07\01@055145 by Russell McMahon
face
flavicon
face
Excellent guide to writing technical resumes (aka CVs)


       http://www.ganssle.com/sellyourself.pdf


Rest of site also excellent

       http://www.ganssle.com/

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2004 , 2005 only
- Today
- New search...