Searching \ for '[EE:] Looking for a slick way to synthesize audio' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/io/audio.htm?key=audio
Search entire site for: 'Looking for a slick way to synthesize audio'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE:] Looking for a slick way to synthesize audio '
2002\01\06@212208 by Chris Eddy

flavicon
face
I want to add a synthesizer peripheral to a PIC processor to form a high
accuracy frequency generator that can be adjusted down to the hertz and
is stable as the crystal that drives it. I need 10K to 50KHz. All of the
synthesizers that I can find all start with '2.2GHz synthesizer ideal
for cell phones..'. You get the picture.

Has anyone used a peripheral that they really like a lot?

Thanks
Chris~

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
spam_OUTpiclist-unsubscribe-requestTakeThisOuTspammitvma.mit.edu


2002\01\07@013424 by Tom Handley

picon face
  Chris, take a look at Fairchild's (formerly Micro Linear's) ML2036
Programmable Sinewave Generator. All you need is a crystal
(literally, no capacitors). It requires +/- 5V and has a 3-wire SPI-style
interface. You clock-in 16 Bits, LSB first, and set a Latch Enable line to
set the frequency from 1 to 50KHz (I tested it to 65,535KHz). By using a
8.388608MHz crystal (Digi-Key PN: SE3415 / Epson CA-301 family), you get a
direct one-to-one program data to frequency setting with a 1Hz resolution.
The chip provides Osc/2 and Osc/8 outputs which may be of use if you want
to clock a PIC at 4.194304MHz.

  There is a voltage reference input. Tying this to +5V gives a maximum
output swing of +/- 2.5Vp-p. You can reduce this via an external reference.
Harmonic distortion is -45db max. The device comes in a 14-pin DIP or 16-pin
SOIC package. For more info:

     http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/ML/ML2036.html

  - Tom

At 21:16 06-01-02 -0500, Chris Eddy wrote:
{Quote hidden}

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom Handley
New Age Communications
Since '75 before "New Age" and no one around here is waiting for UFOs ;-)

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2002\01\07@014041 by Alexandre Domingos F. Souza

flavicon
face
>Chris, take a look at Fairchild's (formerly Micro Linear's) ML2036
>Programmable Sinewave Generator. All you need is a crystal
>(literally, no capacitors). It requires +/- 5V and has a 3-wire SPI-style
>interface. You clock-in 16 Bits, LSB first, and set a Latch Enable line to
>set the frequency from 1 to 50KHz (I tested it to 65,535KHz). By using a
>8.388608MHz crystal (Digi-Key PN: SE3415 / Epson CA-301 family), you get a
>direct one-to-one program data to frequency setting with a 1Hz resolution.
>The chip provides Osc/2 and Osc/8 outputs which may be of use if you want
>to clock a PIC at 4.194304MHz.

       UAU!!! How can I put my dirty hands in one of these?????????


---8<---Corte aqui---8<----

Alexandre Souza
.....taitoKILLspamspam@spam@terra.com.br
http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/pinball/

---8<---Corte aqui---8<----

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2002\01\07@090443 by Chris Eddy

flavicon
face
Tom, you have outdone yourself. If you were a chick I would kiss you.

Chris~

Tom Handley wrote:
>
>    Chris, take a look at Fairchild's (formerly Micro Linear's) ML2036
> Programmable Sinewave Generator. All you need is a crystal

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2002\01\07@202908 by Tom Handley

picon face
  Chris, if I were a `chick' I wouldn't even ask me out ;-)

  I'm not sure on the availability of the chip. It's been around
for a long time. Using that crystal really makes it simple. I tested
it to 65535KHz and the output was flat across the range. Note the
updated URL. The one I originally provided was changed again...

     http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/ML/ML2036C.html

  - Tom

At 08:57 07-01-02 -0500, Chris Eddy wrote:
>Tom, you have outdone yourself. If you were a chick I would kiss you.
>
>Chris~
>
>Tom Handley wrote:
>>
>>    Chris, take a look at Fairchild's (formerly Micro Linear's) ML2036
>> Programmable Sinewave Generator. All you need is a crystal


------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom Handley
New Age Communications
Since '75 before "New Age" and no one around here is waiting for UFOs ;-)

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2002\01\08@012536 by Chris Eddy

flavicon
face
I printed the datasheet.. neat part.

Then I checked partminer.. only all american has it, someone I never
deal with.

So I tried to get a sample.. not a sampleable part through the online
service.

So I tried to call the rep.. they emailed me a bunch of forms to fill
out to get a sample.

I am getting the impression that they cherish their parts and don't want
me to have one. I must think about this. Probably call All American,
when I can muster up a minimum order. Shaa.

Tom Handley wrote:
>
>    I'm not sure on the availability of the chip. It's been around
> for a long time. Using that crystal really makes it simple. I tested
> it to 65535KHz and the output was flat across the range. Note the
> updated URL. The one I originally provided was changed again...
>

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics


2002\01\08@130604 by Peter L. Peres

picon face
Imho you are looking for a synthesizer chip mass produced for electronic
organs. I've never used one but they should do what you need. I also don't
know how obsolete they are now.

Peter

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics


2002\01\08@154025 by Dwayne Reid

flavicon
face
At 12:44 AM 1/8/02 -0500, Chris Eddy wrote:
>I printed the datasheet.. neat part.
>
>Then I checked partminer.. only all american has it, someone I never
>deal with.
>
>So I tried to get a sample.. not a sampleable part through the online
>service.

Chris - I requested 4 samples via their website and received confirmation
an hour later.  You do have to register at their site first, however.

Tom - thanks for the reminder about the ML2036 - it should do nicely for an
up-coming project.

dwayne


Dwayne Reid   <dwaynerspamKILLspamplanet.eon.net>
Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd    Edmonton, AB, CANADA
(780) 489-3199 voice          (780) 487-6397 fax

Celebrating 17 years of Engineering Innovation (1984 - 2001)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Do NOT send unsolicited commercial email to this email address.
This message neither grants consent to receive unsolicited
commercial email nor is intended to solicit commercial email.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics


2002\01\08@165702 by Jon Baker

flavicon
face
Do you actually need a sine wave or would a square wave be suitable? I was
just thinking that 10 to 50kHz would be quite a sensible range of
frequencies to generate directly using the ( or at least a )
microcontroller. You could always make the edges nice and curvy later with a
couple of external parts.. hehe how about some old valves :)

Jon Baker

{Original Message removed}

2002\01\08@200844 by Chris Eddy

flavicon
face
I don't need sine waves. I just need to drive an ultrasonic power
amplifier so that it is precise. I am wary of doing it strictly from the
processor.. I am more comfortable with a precision synthesizer. But I
could change if I had to .. Maybe the PWM can generate these
frequencies.

Chris~

Jon Baker wrote:
>
> Do you actually need a sine wave or would a square wave be suitable? I was
> just thinking that 10 to 50kHz would be quite a sensible range of
> frequencies to generate directly using the ( or at least a )
> microcontroller. You could always make the edges nice and curvy later with a
> couple of external parts.. hehe how about some old valves :)

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics


2002\01\09@025100 by Vasile Surducan

flavicon
face
On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Chris Eddy wrote:

> I don't need sine waves. I just need to drive an ultrasonic power
> amplifier so that it is precise. I am wary of doing it strictly from the
> processor.. I am more comfortable with a precision synthesizer. But I

 If you are projecting a high output ultrasonic amplifier for sonotrodes
or whatever, and plan to get frequency resonance, I think PWM is enough.
Vasile

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.


More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2002 , 2003 only
- Today
- New search...