Searching \ for '[EE:] Digi-key' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=digi+key
Search entire site for: 'Digi-key'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE:] Digi-key'
2004\04\16@053633 by Luis Moreira

flavicon
face
Hi Guys
After hearing so many good things about Digi-Key in this list from our
colleagues in the USA, I was very surprised about the day time robbery
prices that Digi-key is charging here in the UK. The two things I wanted
from them were double the price of the same part in the USA, mainly because
of there "handling charge and shipping charge".
How do they want to compete with RS and Farnell if their prices are the same
or higher?
regards
               Luis

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads

2004\04\16@084941 by Mike Harrison

flavicon
face
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:43:32 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi Guys
>After hearing so many good things about Digi-Key in this list from our
>colleagues in the USA, I was very surprised about the day time robbery
>prices that Digi-key is charging here in the UK. The two things I wanted
>from them were double the price of the same part in the USA, mainly because
>of there "handling charge and shipping charge".
>How do they want to compete with RS and Farnell if their prices are the same
>or higher?
>regards
>                Luis

Yes, they have totally messed up with their attempt to sell to the UK. USPS Global Priority falt-rate mailers can get a lot of stuff here for $5 or $9, but using courier
services just makes the pricing ridiculous.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads

2004\04\16@090851 by John J. McDonough

flavicon
face
Although DigiKey's prices in the U.S. are not bad, they are rarely the
cheapest on the block.  DigiKey is all about service.  That being the case,
I suspect they can't imagine someone waiting postal service sorts of times
to get their parts.

Even here in the U.S. one needs to be a little careful.  DigiKey's default
shipping method is quite pricey, and for my location, only saves a day over
the cheapest way, and sometimes not even that.

When they say it ships the same day, they mean it.  Once I called them at
around 6 P.M. to order a few things, including a part that needed to be
custom programmed.  It turns out that the person who did that programming
had already left for the day.  They called me back all in a panic when they
found this out.  I had a hard time assuring them that an extra day was no
big deal to me.  This over a $3 part.  And I'm not an especially big
customer - I probably spend around $100 a year there.

72/73 de WB8RCR    http://www.qsl.net/wb8rcr
didileydadidah     QRP-L #1446 Code Warriors #35

{Original Message removed}

2004\04\16@134746 by Colin Constant

picon face
>When they say it ships the same day, they mean it.

That's for sure.  If I put the order in in the early evening, I get it the
next morning.  It's almost: order, nap, open the box.

I've had a couple of errors with them, which I guess is bound to happen if
you're a big operation moving at that kind of break-neck speed.  Once,
instead of key switches I got key caps; recently instead of a mini DIN jack
I got a 7x8 inch project box.  In both cases I emailed them and I got the
correct part the next morning.

I'm in Canada so shipping can be a problem with some suppliers.  I've come
to think of ordering from Jameco, for example, as a nightmare wrapped in a
bad dream.

Colin

_________________________________________________________________
Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN Premium
http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads

2004\04\16@162338 by Larry Bradley

flavicon
face
I too am in Canada.

Digikey is set up to handle Canadian orders - I've ordered a couple of
things from them with no problem.

Mouser, on the other hand, caused me problems. They ship UPS or FEDEX. I
chose UPS ground, as it was inexpensive.

When the UPS guy arrived at the door yesterday, he said "COD". I said that
I had paid by credit card. He said the COD was for custom's brokerage fees.
He showed me the invoice, for $40. The whole order, including the shipping,
was only $40. I told him to take it back, and sent an email to Mouser
asking for my money back. Nowhere on their site, including the
International orders info, do they mention that shipping by UPS will incur
extra charges.


At 11:46 AM 4/16/2004 -0600, you wrote:
{Quote hidden}

Larry Bradley
Orleans (Ottawa), Ontario, CANADA

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads

2004\04\16@163205 by Andrew Kilpatrick

flavicon
face
I've had similar experiences. Stocking parts for my company's
first product has cost me hundreds of dollars in stupid fees.
First of all, being in Canada means that I get that $40 fee
for each package. Also, the shippers charge, on behalf of the
government, the GST. Which is stupid because businesses get
it back anyway. It just means that I have to lay out a lot
more cash, which is hard when you have to build the products
before you can charge money for them. :)

I guess that's the only thing that has made me wish I lived
in the USA. This whole "free trade" thing is really just a
big joke.

Andrew

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 04:24:09PM -0400, Larry Bradley wrote:
{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads

2004\04\16@163622 by Jason S

flavicon
face
I got burned by that UPS fee on shipments to Canada with Mouser too.  I
ordered about $20 worth of CR2032 batteries, the total order was under $30
including shipping and it was all in a fairly small bubble envelope.  It
came with a bill from UPS for an additional $25.  It also took me about 2
years to get off Mouser's mailing list for catalogs.  I didn't mind getting
them so much, but I felt kind of bad because I knew I'd never order from
them again because of UPS.

I think UPS ads the fee just as a blatent cash grab.  It's always roughly
100% of the total order amount.  I've never had any problems with things
shipped by USPS, even larger and more expensive packages, and the base
shipping fee for USPS is cheaper.

Jason


{Original Message removed}

2004\04\16@185418 by Herbert Graf

flavicon
face
> Digikey is set up to handle Canadian orders - I've ordered a couple of
> things from them with no problem.
>
> Mouser, on the other hand, caused me problems. They ship UPS or FEDEX. I
> chose UPS ground, as it was inexpensive.
>
> When the UPS guy arrived at the door yesterday, he said "COD". I said that
> I had paid by credit card. He said the COD was for custom's
> brokerage fees.
> He showed me the invoice, for $40. The whole order, including the
> shipping,
> was only $40. I told him to take it back, and sent an email to Mouser
> asking for my money back. Nowhere on their site, including the
> International orders info, do they mention that shipping by UPS will incur
> extra charges.

       That's not their fault, that's UPS. UPS is notorious for absolutely
outrageous brokerage fees. I was once charge more brokerage then the item
was worth. UPS is the worst of scammers and I do something simple: if a
company wants to ship me something UPS I go elsewhere, and I tell them that.
TTYL

----------------------------------
Herbert's PIC Stuff:
http://repatch.dyndns.org:8383/pic_stuff/

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads

2004\04\16@200007 by Robert L Cochran

flavicon
face
Herbert Graf wrote:

That's not their fault, that's UPS. UPS is notorious for absolutely
> outrageous brokerage fees. I was once charge more brokerage then the item
> was worth. UPS is the worst of scammers and I do something simple: if a
> company wants to ship me something UPS I go elsewhere, and I tell them that.
> TTYL


I'm very surprised to read his and other postings about United Parcel
Service (UPS) in Canada. I live in Maryland, USA, and I can't really
live without UPS. They deliver fairly fast (even with the ground
service, although packages from Digi-Key seem to take forever when I
want them a lot and elected to ship ground!), the UPS delivery guy knows
me on sight, has a friendly smile and often a quick friendly greeting,
and is careful with my packages.

My United States Post Office carrier is a young woman who, simply put,
is an unsmiling oaf. She once dumped a package of expensive technical
books from Amazon.com on my deck...right after a rain. The door to my
house airlock was right there in front of her and she could have put the
package there, where it was dry. I cannot trust her to take care with
expensive packages. And USPS takes a long time to deliver packages.

Until recently I tried to avoid Airborne Express as well, because they
somehow always had problems with my packages. Then I ordered a soldering
station from outpost.com at 11:00 p.m. and boom! Airborne delivered it
by 5:00 p.m. the next day to my utter amazement!

So in general I can't live without United Parcel Service. Maybe some day
the USPS carrier will be replaced by someone much smarter and USPS
itself will experience improved delivery times. And maybe just maybe the
next time I'm in a rush I'll give Airborne another try to see if my
recent experience was just lucky chance.

Bob Cochran




{Quote hidden}

--
Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA
http://greenbeltcomputer.biz/

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads

2004\04\16@200422 by Shawn Wilton

flavicon
face
Insane.  I hate UPS with a passion.  I ordered a monitor and it was
shipped UPS three times, and each time it came, the box was completely
trashed.  Delivery is never the same time on any given day, or even
remotely the same.  And the prices are horrific.  Not to mention ground
takes forever.

I love USPS, never had a single package arrive damaged, and they always
arrive quickly.

I also like Fedex quite a bit, but they're still a tad up there in terms
of cost for shipping.

Viva USPS in Oregon.  Boo to UPS.  Boo.


Shawn Wilton
Junior in CpE
MicroBiologist

Phone: (503) 881-2707
Email: spam_OUTshawnTakeThisOuTspamblack9.net

http://black9.net


Robert L Cochran wrote:
{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads

2004\04\16@201501 by Herbert Graf

flavicon
face
> So in general I can't live without United Parcel Service. Maybe some day
> the USPS carrier will be replaced by someone much smarter and USPS
> itself will experience improved delivery times. And maybe just maybe the
> next time I'm in a rush I'll give Airborne another try to see if my
> recent experience was just lucky chance.

       Hehe, well in Canada I get a completely different impression. For example,
UPS is the only courier that doesn't know how to use my building's intercom
system, I guess reading a name off a list and typing in a 4 digit number is
too much for them... TTYL

----------------------------------
Herbert's PIC Stuff:
http://repatch.dyndns.org:8383/pic_stuff/

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads

2004\04\16@202328 by Charles Craft

picon face
FedEx ain't what it used to be and the FedEx Green (former Roadway) is just the pits.
http://www.fedex.com/us/about/today/history/#3

Shipped a PC to my sister a few years ago and they chose to rework my label and send it to another town.
Assumed that I didn't know where I wanted it shipped to or where my sister lives. #%$%$^#$#@#$%

{Original Message removed}

2004\04\16@210152 by Gordon Williams

picon face
Yes, I had the same problem with Mouser.  I thought that I was saving a few
$ for the components, but when I got the bill for the brokerage fees, I was
very unhappy.  Receiving stuff from them by UPS was also painfully slow as I
watched it move from hub to hub across the US.  Every morning I would look
at their tracking site to see if the package had moved from one hub to the
next and how many states (if any) it had moved.  It was like a sick game.

I won't be going back to Mouser any time soon.

Gordon Williams
(also in Ottawa, Canada)

{Original Message removed}

2004\04\16@215033 by Richard Mulvey

flavicon
face
On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 13:46, Colin Constant wrote:
> >When they say it ships the same day, they mean it.
>
> That's for sure.  If I put the order in in the early evening, I get it the
> next morning.  It's almost: order, nap, open the box.


  Tell me about it.  I placed my last order ( for about $200 in parts -
15 unique  items - at 12:03pm.  At 12:17pm.  I got a confirmation email
complete with tracking number, saying it was in shipping.

- Rich

--
Richard Mulvey <.....richKILLspamspam@spam@mulveyfamily.com>

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads

2004\04\17@001245 by Bruce Partridge

flavicon
face
I now refuse to deal with any vendor who insists on shipping UPS.  I
relented once recently because I didn't know an alternative vendor, and got
burned again.

They sometimes take 5 working days to deliver a package, and a package that
the vendor ships prepaid typically arrives with a $40 COD bill.

FedEx is the only way to go for fast, and USPS if there's no particular
hurry.

Digi-Key is amazing.  Its easier for me to order from them than to go to the
local store.  I get it all at one stop, and can pull up the data sheet at
the same time.  And I almost always have it by 1:00 the next day.

Bruce Partridge
http://www.rebreather.ca

> {Original Message removed}

2004\04\17@085302 by Larry Bradley

flavicon
face
It isn't their fault, but they should tell the customer in their ordering
pages that this may happen, so that the customer can make an informed decision

At 06:54 PM 4/16/2004 -0400, you wrote:
{Quote hidden}

Larry Bradley
Orleans (Ottawa), Ontario, CANADA

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics

2004\04\17@095437 by Tal

flavicon
face
It's a worldwide scam by ups. they charge without a reason.
once I order a medical instrument and they charge me about 40 US$ . they
told me it's for "custom's
brokerage fees..." it's not true in my country! I checked it with the
customs.
they are thieves and don't use them!

Tal


{Original Message removed}

2004\04\17@104003 by Spehro Pefhany

picon face
At 04:55 PM 4/17/2004 +0200, you wrote:
>It's a worldwide scam by ups. they charge without a reason.
>once I order a medical instrument and they charge me about 40 US$ . they
>told me it's for "custom's
>brokerage fees..." it's not true in my country! I checked it with the
>customs.
>they are thieves and don't use them!
>
>Tal

Yes, their invoices are deliberately misleading- they say something
like "government fees", when in fact most of the $$ are going directly into
their coffers. Stay away.

Best regards,

Spehro Pefhany --"it's the network..."            "The Journey is the reward"
speffspamKILLspaminterlog.com             Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
Embedded software/hardware/analog  Info for designers:  http://www.speff.com

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics

2004\04\18@030710 by Russell McMahon

face
flavicon
face
> >When they say it ships the same day, they mean it.
>
> That's for sure.  If I put the order in in the early evening, I get it the
> next morning.  It's almost: order, nap, open the box.

Farnell are superb here (New Zealand). They dispatch orders from Australia
which is 2 or 3 hours behind us. I can order up to about 6 pm one day NZ
time and the courier (usually) deposits the order on my front porch at about
6:20 am NZ time next day. (12.5 hours later). The two countries have over
1000 miles of ocean between them plus the notional need for customs
clearance. Good service.



       RM

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.

2004\04\18@062249 by dr. Imre Bartfai

flavicon
face
Hello,

another horror story about UPS. We ordered some precious measurement
devices from Germany (to Hungary). They told to deliver with UPS. After a
month or so we queried what is going on. They told us they has delivered
in time and told us a waybill number. After querying the local UPS they
informed us to pay a horrible amount of stockage fee as we did not declare
us being ready to accept the parcel. Further investigation showed they
sent us a telegram which was reported lost by the post office. All our
data (address, fax no, tel no, email etc.) was o.k.! They themselves did
not make a try to reach us! So I avoid UPS like a plague since there...

Regards,
Imre

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Shawn Wilton wrote:

{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.

2004\04\18@070644 by David Duffy

flavicon
face
Russell McMahon wrote:

>Farnell are superb here (New Zealand). They dispatch orders from Australia
>which is 2 or 3 hours behind us. I can order up to about 6 pm one day NZ
>time and the courier (usually) deposits the order on my front porch at about
>6:20 am NZ time next day. (12.5 hours later). The two countries have over
>1000 miles of ocean between them plus the notional need for customs
>clearance. Good service.
>
>

That is good. I always assumed NZ had a local Farnell warehouse.

Farnell and RS are expensive for most items but when you factor
in the fast delivery and the fact you can get a whole bunch of stuff
with only order (and shipping charge) it's quite reasonable. We do
buy all the bulk items elsewhere though. (Altronics for a lot of it)

I just ordered some wierd MOSFETs from Mouser the other day
so it will be interesting to see how my first order with them goes.
David...

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2004 , 2005 only
- Today
- New search...