Searching \ for '[AVR:] Re: Dual USART ?' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/io/serials.htm?key=usart
Search entire site for: 'Re: Dual USART ?'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[AVR:] Re: Dual USART ?'
2004\07\18@130659 by Mark Jordan

flavicon
face
On 18 Jul 2004 at 10:28, D. Jay Newman wrote:

> > I want to design a device with dual  rs232 ports. Is there a dual usart PIC,
> > or can I use a MAX232 on a different port? or is there another solution?  I
> > have several 16F877a chips and would like to use them for this if possible?  I
> > thought about having an anolog switch in circuit to switch between the signals,
> > but want to be able to read both  and bauds up to 56K
>
> Well, if you want to just use the PIC's hardware, you can use two
> PICs and connect them via SPI and use the UART hardware of both...
> --

       Or you can join us at the dark side of the force and use an Atmel
ATMEGA162 that has two USART built in. You won't regret that move!

       Mark Jordan, PY3SS

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email spam_OUTlistservTakeThisOuTspammitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body

2004\07\18@131520 by Charles Linquist

flavicon
face
There are quite a few dual USART PICs - Look at the 18F8720

Charles Linquist


-----Original Message-----
From: pic microcontroller discussion list [.....PICLISTKILLspamspam@spam@MITVMA.MIT.EDU] On
Behalf Of Mark Jordan
Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2004 10:07 AM
To: PICLISTspamKILLspamMITVMA.MIT.EDU
Subject: [AVR:] Re: Dual USART ?

On 18 Jul 2004 at 10:28, D. Jay Newman wrote:

> > I want to design a device with dual  rs232 ports. Is there a dual usart
PIC,
> > or can I use a MAX232 on a different port? or is there another solution?
I
> > have several 16F877a chips and would like to use them for this if
possible?  I
> > thought about having an anolog switch in circuit to switch between the
signals,
> > but want to be able to read both  and bauds up to 56K
>
> Well, if you want to just use the PIC's hardware, you can use two
> PICs and connect them via SPI and use the UART hardware of both...
> --

       Or you can join us at the dark side of the force and use an Atmel
ATMEGA162 that has two USART built in. You won't regret that move!

       Mark Jordan, PY3SS

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email .....listservKILLspamspam.....mitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email EraseMElistservspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTmitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body

2004\07\19@052134 by Nigel Orr

flavicon
face
pic microcontroller discussion list <> wrote:
> There are quite a few dual USART PICs - Look at the 18F8720

Are there any in smaller packages?  I'm looking for one with dual USART and
at least 4 PWM outputs, the microchip search doesn't list 'number of
USARTs' as a search option, and I can't find any 40-pin ones with dual UART
and 4 PWM.

Nigel

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
piclist-unsubscribe-requestspamspam_OUTmitvma.mit.edu

2004\07\19@141820 by Byron A Jeff

face picon face
On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 10:21:39AM +0100, Nigel Orr wrote:
> pic microcontroller discussion list <> wrote:
> > There are quite a few dual USART PICs - Look at the 18F8720
>
> Are there any in smaller packages?

Doubtful.

>  I'm looking for one with dual USART and
> at least 4 PWM outputs, the microchip search doesn't list 'number of
> USARTs' as a search option, and I can't find any 40-pin ones with dual UART
> and 4 PWM.

That's because none exists.

This is a problem that almost begs for a distributed solution. Find the
smallest PIC with USART, I2C, and dual PWM. Than make it a secondary
coprocessor to your primary part, using I2C as the communications channel
between them.

As has been pointed out in this thread, that the typical PIC solution to
this problem is to use software to generate the required additional channels.

Other than that there is no 40 pin PIC part that has 2 USARTS and 4 PWM
channels.

BAJ

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
@spam@piclist-unsubscribe-requestKILLspamspammitvma.mit.edu

2004\07\19@144822 by Hopkins

flavicon
face
ATmega 128 , ATmega 64may both be suitable - have not checked any closer
than the line card.

But they both meet the requirements by the line card. The number of pins may
not suit you application as both are  TQPF64.


*************************************************
Roy Hopkins   :-)

Tauranga
New Zealand
*************************************************

> >  I'm looking for one with dual USART and
> > at least 4 PWM outputs, the microchip search doesn't list 'number of
> > USARTs' as a search option, and I can't find any 40-pin ones with dual
UART
> > and 4 PWM.



---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.723 / Virus Database: 479 - Release Date: 19/07/2004

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
KILLspampiclist-unsubscribe-requestKILLspamspammitvma.mit.edu

2004\07\19@150730 by Mark Jordan

flavicon
face
On 19 Jul 2004 at 14:18, Byron A Jeff wrote:

>
> Other than that there is no 40 pin PIC part that has 2 USARTS and 4 PWM
> channels.
>

       The uP you are looking for is the ATMEGA162 from Atmel.
       It is a 40 pin dip, has 2 USART, 4 PWM, 16MHz, 16kB Flash,
512Bytes EEPROM, 1024Bytes SRAM, plus a lot of features.

       Mark Jordan

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
RemoveMEpiclist-unsubscribe-requestTakeThisOuTspammitvma.mit.edu

2004\07\19@171834 by Byron A Jeff

face picon face
On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 04:02:19PM -0300, Mark Jordan wrote:
> On 19 Jul 2004 at 14:18, Byron A Jeff wrote:
>
> >
> > Other than that there is no 40 pin PIC part that has 2 USARTS and 4 PWM
> > channels.
> >
>
>         The uP you are looking for is the ATMEGA162 from Atmel.
>         It is a 40 pin dip, has 2 USART, 4 PWM, 16MHz, 16kB Flash,
> 512Bytes EEPROM, 1024Bytes SRAM, plus a lot of features.

Thanks for the heads up Mark. Note I was very very careful to point out
that no 40 pin PIC met the spec.

BAJ

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
spamBeGonepiclist-unsubscribe-requestspamBeGonespammitvma.mit.edu

2004\07\19@184509 by SavanaPics

picon face
Thanks for the heads up. I don't know anything yet about bit banging but
guess what.  A whole new ball game just opened up LOl.  Sorry not interested in
the ATMEL.   I may be what I need in a 40 pin but I will just go to a plcc type
and use a pic. I can use some of i/o pins for other uses as well.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
TakeThisOuTpiclist-unsubscribe-requestEraseMEspamspam_OUTmitvma.mit.edu

2004\07\19@213916 by John Samperi

picon face
At 06:45 PM 19/07/04 EDT, you wrote:
> Sorry not interested in the ATMEL.

So what are you doing posting on an Atmel related channell? :-)
You will only get our biased opinion.

Regards

John Samperi

******************************************************
                       Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.
 11 Brokenwood Place Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153 AUSTRALIA
        Tel. (02) 9674-6495       Fax (02) 9674-8745
              Email: RemoveMEsamperispamTakeThisOuTampertronics.com.au
                Website  http://www.ampertronics.com.au
* Electronic Design   * Technical Services   * Contract Assembly
******************************************************

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
piclist-unsubscribe-requestEraseMEspam.....mitvma.mit.edu

2004\07\19@232718 by SavanaPics

picon face
Sorry.  thought this was a PIClist.  I  apologise

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
EraseMEpiclist-unsubscribe-requestspammitvma.mit.edu

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2004 , 2005 only
- Today
- New search...