Searching \ for '[AD]: Coming soon but probably not near you' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=coming+soon+but
Search entire site for: 'Coming soon but probably not near you'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[AD]: Coming soon but probably not near you'
2006\08\30@122057 by Gus S Calabrese

face picon face
MadSciLab.com
http://www.MadSciLab.com

looking for associates to teach inventing
using video conferencing or DVDs.

Will have a check-out library of Mad Scientist parts
starting with:
High Power LEDs
OLED displays

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
AGSC  Augustus Gustavius Salvatore Calabrese
4337 Raleigh Street
Denver, CO
720 222 1309     303 908 7716 cell
adding " spam2006 " bypasses my spam blocker.  Please place in the  
text or at the END of the subject line.
( i am hard to reach by phone )
All ideas, text, drawings and audio , that are originated by me,  and  
included with this signature text are to be deemed to be released to  
the public domain as of the date of this communication .  AGSC
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^


2006\08\30@130640 by Nate Duehr

face
flavicon
face
Gus S Calabrese wrote:
> http://MadSciLab.com
> http://www.MadSciLab.com
>
> looking for associates to teach inventing
> using video conferencing or DVDs.

Teach inventing?  Hmm...

I've always found that to be more of a mindset and personality than
something easily "teachable".  You teach basics, and inventor
personality types in the basics course just start inventing.

Nate

2006\08\30@133954 by William Chops Westfield

face picon face
>> looking for associates to teach inventing
>> using video conferencing or DVDs.
>>
Technology seems to have finally hit the mainstream, in the sense
that random people without particularly "engineering-like"
characteristics are starting to play with it as art, toys, etc.
See things like "Make Magazine", http://www.instructables.com,
and numerous other "alternative educational blogs" (for lack of
a better term.)

I don't know whether to be pleased or disgusted.  It is part of
the engineer personality (IMHO) that you should have a basic
UNDERSTANDING of a tool before using (or abusing) it, and a lot
of this is a rejection of that principle.  The same thing happened
with computers quite some time ago, and it's still hard to tell
whether it was a good thing overall (it was certainly PROFITABLE
for a lot of people!)

BillW

2006\08\30@150943 by Nate Duehr

face
flavicon
face
William Chops Westfield wrote:
>>> looking for associates to teach inventing
>>> using video conferencing or DVDs.
>>>
> Technology seems to have finally hit the mainstream, in the sense
> that random people without particularly "engineering-like"
> characteristics are starting to play with it as art, toys, etc.
> See things like "Make Magazine", http://www.instructables.com,
> and numerous other "alternative educational blogs" (for lack of
> a better term.)

Actually I'd say this is a RESURGENCE of people tinkering.  In the U.S.
in the 20s and 30s (so I hear, I wasn't alive then), and even for a
while after WWII, lots of backyard "inventors" and others tinkered with
various things.  It used to be much more a part of the American
psyche/mental landscape than it is today.

> I don't know whether to be pleased or disgusted.  It is part of
> the engineer personality (IMHO) that you should have a basic
> UNDERSTANDING of a tool before using (or abusing) it, and a lot
> of this is a rejection of that principle.  The same thing happened
> with computers quite some time ago, and it's still hard to tell
> whether it was a good thing overall (it was certainly PROFITABLE
> for a lot of people!)

I think this is a GOOD thing -- a lot of total junk will come out of it,
but having more people PLAYING with things and really understanding how
they work (after much hard-won experience via experimentation) is
exactly what the U.S. needs to bring up knowledge levels right now.

So many people are blissfully unaware of how anything they use in
day-to-day life actually WORKS, I can't see a general tendency toward
wanting to tinker with things as being bad.

There's no harm done in not knowing what you're doing if you aren't
producing a product for market.  As long as the writers are clearly
labeling their missives as "for hobby use only", or "made by a hobbiest"
there's really no downside to it.

People really SHOULD tinker and understand the world (and things they
bought but have no idea how to operate or use properly -- computers
being my pet peeve).

Will they do dumb things?  Sure.  Will they learn from their mistakes?
Hopefully.  But it's a guarantee that you CAN NOT LEARN without making
mistakes.  Teaching is all about limiting the consequences of the
mistakes for students.  Ask any flight instructor.  :-)

Nate

2006\08\31@030408 by Alan B. Pearce

face picon face
>Teaching is all about limiting the consequences of the
>mistakes for students.  Ask any flight instructor.  :-)


Oh, you mean like this ;)))
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/5298980.stm

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2006 , 2007 only
- Today
- New search...